Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that, despite the massive Suzuki logos and GSX-R Emblems, people who apparently don't know much about bikes still ask "Is that a Ninja?"? I mean seriously, I could be riding an R1, a Hayabusa, or a friggin' Aprilia, and I still bet they'd ask me if it's a Ninja...not a big deal or anything, just wondering if anyone else has been asked this before.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

It happens occasionally. I tell folks it "cuts like a ninja, slices like a razor blade" and they move to another topic.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
isnt ninja what you call all crotchrockets?

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah there is a vast majority of people for whom Ninja is their first guess when naming a sportbike.

Kinda funny actually. You're not counting the fact that they may not know which company makes ninjas, and are therefore assuming suzuki does.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Weren't Ninja's the first really popular sportbike line? I'm guessing thats why most people think that instantly. Most people are ignorant though and choose to ignore the obvious. You bike could say Suzuki Hayabusa in big bright red letters on the side of your bike, and I'm sure someone will still want to ask if its a Ninja. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some people have been asked if their crotch rocket was an HD...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Weird I have never been asked if The Duc is a Ninja...however i have been ask by a slight confused older man..."Ducati?...who makes that...is it a Honda?" I have also been asked if it's as fast as a harley like 3-4 times, and also had someone say Yeah ducati, thats that new korean bike right?(Hyosung?!?) Shit i wish i was making all this up but the non riding public are pretty dim when it comes to bikes and models.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Suzuki were the first to try & offer the public a bike close to what they were racing------so that would mean the GSXR often with last year's power plant.

Still if you want insult & see ignorance of none-riders I moved into this town with a Triumph Tiger 100 500cc with dual carbs, tach, clip-ons, Girling extended rear shocks, rear sets, alluminium petrol tank tucked in head lamp, allow mudguards & such----in other words a Cife Racer PLUS three Greeves dirt comp bikes being a Hawkstone 200cc, another modified to tough enduros, & a Scottish again all there being 200cc Villiers with top end by Greeves Amal monoboc carbs & such.

So would roll in town with the trials bike for a cuppa & outside would be the distinctive Greeves around '62 & '64 of where people would say they really like my Honda, to others saying they saw me riding my Honda on the hwy when in fact it was the Triumph.

All you saw of Honda were 50 to 125cc bike & first attempt at the 305 Hawk, while Yamaha, Suzy, & kwacker were stuggeling to establish dealer to handle their 50 to 80cc two-strokes.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Someone at work today asked what kind of bike I have. After I told him, he said, "That's cool, I ride too. The cars around here give me a hard time." I agreed and asked what kind of bike he had, he said "mine's a bicycle, i don't have a motorcycle."
I'm not making that up.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Tom Cruise rode one of the first Ninjas in Top Gun, I think it was GPZ900. Many people started identifying sportbikes as Ninjas, and the rest is history.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think so, that sprocket looks huge to me too.

I think that the general public equates the Ninja name with sport bikes in part because Kawasaki was the first to actually give it's sport bike a name. It's a lot easier for the uneducated masses to remember "Ninja" than "GSX-R" or "CBR" or "YZF."

Unless Honda named the Interceptor or the Hurricane first, in which case it must be just a case of good marketing by Kawi. :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
JBaz said:
F1 Hurricane... doesn't sound that powerful, shouldn't it be like F5?
Lol, is that a tropical storm or a light drizzle? Introducing the honda light drizzle!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts