Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering the topic came up in another forum, and i thought you guys might know...

im in the ATL area, and i see people doing it, but i wasnt sure if it was legal in GA like it is in CA

thanks
kris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lane splitting with cars in GA is NOT legal. I have police officer friends who will back this up. You will not see this as the norm in GA, unlike CA. Even if it is legal in Cali, the general guideline is that if traffic is going at 35mph and over, you shouldnt lane split. But everyone does it anyway.

However, bikes sharing a lane IS legal in GA.

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
AznSportbiker73 said:
Lane splitting with cars in GA is NOT legal. I have police officer friends who will back this up. You will not see this as the norm in GA, unlike CA. Even if it is legal in Cali, the general guideline is that if traffic is going at 35mph and over, you shouldnt lane split. But everyone does it anyway.

However, bikes sharing a lane IS legal in GA.
The same thing I said just worded a little differently. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I knew you said the same thing but his question didnt specify whether it was splitting lanes with another bike or a cage. Just thought I would differentiate coz when you said cutting lanes, it kinda got me. You can still cut lanes in between cars (riding the dotted line) without lane splitting. Thats why I chimed in. Its all gooooddddd :twofinger

·
Registered
105 Posts
AznSportbiker73 said:
I knew you said the same thing but his question didnt specify whether it was splitting lanes with another bike or a cage. Just thought I would differentiate coz when you said cutting lanes, it kinda got me. You can still cut lanes in between cars (riding the dotted line) without lane splitting. Thats why I chimed in. Its all gooooddddd :twofinger

actually he didnt say "SPLITTING" lanes he said "Sharing"

Yes you can share lanes in all 50 states. I usually ride either slightly in front or behind but not exactly NEXT to the other rider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts