Sportbike World banner

Should we have stiffer licensing procedures ?

• Yes. Take a course,then there should be a tiered licensing system.

Votes: 78 27.5%
  • No. It is my right to buy any bike I choose.

Votes: 79 27.8%
  • Yes. They should make the licence include an MSF course.

Votes: 127 44.7%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
screw it...give them all bikes...let them ride whatever they want...it'd be like adding chlorine to the gene pool:D

(with my luck they'd kill me and they would be just fine.:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Yah it's kind of a joke that CA has arguably the best riding weather and roads and the rider training is Soooooo expensive ie NO help from the state (and plates/registration isn't anywhere close to free either). In Texas it ran 135 in the Dallas area so either it was a bargain or maybee partially subsidised [sp] by the state.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
In Pa it's free. A small extra charge on the license endorsment is what funds it. The instructors are paid in the range of $15 per hour according to one of my friends who went to the instructor's school.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think evryone that rides a bike should take the msf course, but I don't think it should be required by law. This isn't Iraq if they won't to die let them die.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a victim of a 250 restriction.
I think it sucks frankly. I know a few people who ride unlicensed purely because they WONT ride a 250. It creates a false economy, here for instance you pay more for a zxr250 than the equivilent zxr400 just because of the extra demand created by licensing.
Who says you wont die on a 250 anyway? Over here many newbies go for the quickest 250 2stroke they can find. Is an RGV250 or TZR250 a good idea for a learner in a corner when the powerband hits?

·
Registered
609 Posts
After driving 30 km in the year's first blizzard, I'm now convinced it's too easy to get any sort of driver's license in Canada.

One word (ok 2) : Fucking Morons.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not interested in limiting a person's rights to choose the motorcycle they want, but it might not be a bad idea. I do think the MSF course should be required.

·
Registered
860 Posts
being in highschool there are always a bunch of people who think they can handle their parents supplied twin turbo tricked out what ever and not only they try to pass people up like crazy in traffic but they end up crashing and totaling the vehicle...stuff like that pisses me off till no end....stupid people shouldnt be allowed to drive fast vehicles

·
Registered
38 Posts
I choose MSF.....:2cents:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in Florida where the MSC is only mandatory if you are under the age of 21. I agree with that but I rode for 10 years with no endorsement or restriction just so I wouldn't have to pay $250 to take a 3 1/2 day class that's out of town. As for the teir licensing, I like that also but not like they do it in Europe where you have to ride for 2 years at certain cc's before moving up. I think everyone should start at a certain cc level and anytime you feel you're ready to step up, test and show that you can handle the bike you want.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Without a doubt!

It is way too easy for non-expierenced riders to get in too deep. Then again isn't that survival of the fittest at work? At least by giving new riders some form of formal training it gives them a chance.:D

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
In Australia it varies from state to state. Here, in Queensland, it used to be that you got your Learner's permit by passing a written test. Having an 'L' plate meant that you could ride only if a fully licenced person was following you on another bike.

After 3 months, you did a riding test for your Provisional licence ('P' plate). Your were restricted to a 250cc max for the next 12 months, with no pillion.

When that 12 months was completed, you were given an Open licence and could ride whatever you wanted and carry a pillion.

The rules were modified last year, but only for those who've held an Open cage licence for 3 + years. Now, you can take a 'Q-Ride' course, which vary from 2 - 4 days, depending on where you do it and, if you pass it, go ride whatever you like. You still have to wait 12 months before carrying a pillion.

This is what my girl and I did, except we just did a 1 day course to get a restricted licence (250cc max.) as we had bought a ZZR 250. I had to go back and do another 1 day course (I'd been riding for a while by then) to get my Open licence. My girl is happy with her 250, but I keep encouraging her to go bigger. I plan to do some advanced courses, too, rather than learn by trial and error :eek:, picking up bad habits along the way.

I think courses should be mandatory for all riders, regardless of age and previous bike experience.:2cents:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I chose MSC.

Yay for Rhode Island to be the only state that requires completion of a MSC to obtain a license! (I think it's the only state?)

·
Registered
153 Posts
$250 sounds like a bargain compared to the 350 it cost here in NY. The other location which is like an hour away from me charges 250 but with tolls and gas it's not worth going up there. It's kind of funny how were restricting ourselves (the motorcycle community) more and more while any other driver can buy a minivan,hummer,corvette, whatever they please and not have to worry about restrictions. Imagine if all drunk drivers had to ride a motorcycle home instead of a car. Deaths of other motorists would surely decrease drastically. In essence when you ride drunk on a motorcycle, your taking full responsibility for if you die while if you drive intoxicated in a car, a fee, perhaps some jail time and you'll probably live from the accident which gives you another chance to do it all over again.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Maybe new riders should have training wheels too!

Come on! What kind of mommy state do you think we need? What ever happen to my freedom to chose and being held responsible for my own actions.

Well meaning people with bad ideas, thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
:thumbs2:
Yeah baby!
Maybe new riders should have training wheels too!

Come on! What kind of mommy state do you think we need? What ever happen to my freedom to chose and being held responsible for my own actions.

Well meaning people with bad ideas, thanks but no thanks.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts