Sportbike World banner

Is it safe listening to music when you're riding???

9K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Kano 
#1 ·
Is it safe listening to music when you're riding??? Sometimes I can barely hear something with my helmet on

#2 ·
personally i think listening to music can distract you from fully concentrating on the road. with that said, i see a few people still ride while listening to mp3s, and I would also consider doing so if I have to do long road trips that will take over 2 hours. also as a suggestions, you might want to keep one ear open to listen to traffic. I think its also illegal here to keep both ears preoccupied to music and other distractions.

:2cents:

#13 ·
personally i think listening to music can distract you from fully concentrating on the road.

:2cents:
As a BRAND NEW RIDER...I really DO try to ride Safe and responsible when I'm out there so I've elected NOT to just for that reason. Plus, I would imagine my music would sound so INCREDIBLY LOUD every time I came to a stop sign or stop light to compensate over the engine noise of my 750. Furthermore...I kinda like the way my bike sounds when I take off from a stop sign/stop light. The sound of it revving and whatnot. No need for music for me while riding but that's just me.

#4 ·
If I'm gonna be riding hard, I don't listen to music. But if I'm going on a medium paced ride or am gonna be on the highway for a decent amount of time, I use my mp3 player. Unless you blast it, it doesn't affect what you can hear more then wearing earplugs does.

#5 ·
drako75 said:
Sometimes I can barely hear something with my helmet on

Damn dude, what helmet do you use? I need to pick that one up. I hear EVERYTHING with my helmet on, including 135dB of wind noise, which deafens me after a 20 minute ride if I dont wear ear plugs.

Anyway, I picked up a set of earplug headphones so I can use a 2-way radio when riding with others, or listen to the mp3 player sometimes while riding alone. If you are reasonable with the volume, it doesnt distract you or draw your attention away from anything.

on a side note... doesnt anyone search for anything?? good god...

#6 ·
Re: Re: Is it safe listening to music when you're riding???

ZX6R1033 said:
Damn dude, what helmet do you use? I need to pick that one up. I hear EVERYTHING with my helmet on, including 135dB of wind noise, which deafens me after a 20 minute ride if I dont wear ear plugs.

It's a UVEX helmet. I think it's german. I'm gonna try to find more info about it

#11 ·
I'm with 954's ancient post here. Since I wear earplugs to save my hearing I couldn't wear MP3 player earphones anyway. And hearing the bike makes it easy to know what gear she's in and when a shift change is coming up.

#10 ·
I have had tunes in my helmet speakers for 8+ years. I figgure about 70k miles.

You can't hear much anyway with a helmet on, might as well enjoy yourself. At a resonable volume, of course.

My first helmet speaker mod I tore apart some koss earphones I got at best buy and velcroed em inside my helmet (HJC Symax). Never looked back since.

The law where I live, as I interperted, is you can't have anything in your ears (which oddly seems to include earplugs) and thats it. So helmet speakers seem to be ok. Honestly, I concentrate on riding so much I barely hear my tunes.

I digress. Its not safe. Maybe someday I'll die in a firey crash because I was listening to fungus 53 on XM. In that case I stand corrected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.