Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I'm looking to import a honda cbr 150r into cali from thailand. i have a several questions . . .
1. has anyone ever done this before?
2. is it worth it?
3. what does the process entail
4. is it even possible . . .

any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
from thailand? Shipping charges along would be be expensive. And if its really from thailand, I'd bet its a fake Honda or a scam. Save yourself the hassle and fine a bike locally. I've heard too many stories about shipping bikes across country, let lone half a world away.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
JBaz said:
from thailand? Shipping charges along would be be expensive. And if its really from thailand, I'd bet its a fake Honda or a scam. Save yourself the hassle and fine a bike locally. I've heard too many stories about shipping bikes across country, let lone half a world away.
+2

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

I spent nearly a month traveling in Thailand with time in Bangkok, Chiang-Mai in the south, Chiang-Rai up north and the beaches of Phuket shortly before the tsunami struck. There are millions of motorcycles and scooters in that country with the predominant one being small Hondas...so I wouldn't be inclined to call it a fake. It is a great place to visit if you enjoy spicy food and they are a very staunch and true ally of this country. The exchange rate between the Thai bhat and the U.S. dollar allows one some competitive purchasing.

The things that I shipped back to the United States were primarily beads, artwork, clothes, antiques, and furniture but no motor vehicles that might have different emissions standards. Do a search under packing, shipping, and expediting to see who is out there. I'll see if I can find anything and will post it here.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi cookeetree-

Good point! There were plenty of people running around with two-stroke engines on public roads...so it could get pretty hazy at times! Watching an entire family of four people commuting on a 150cc bike was unreal. So, is it a problem that one can peer straight into the engine by looking up the exhaust pipe? :)

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Blue Jays said:
...Watching an entire family of four people commuting on a 150cc bike was unreal...
I lived Indonesia for 2 1/2 years. The best I saw was a family of SIX!! Two kids on the gas tank, then Dad, another kid and finally Mum, holding a baby.

Oh, the two kids of the front had helmets......plastic toy baseball helmets! :eek:

Sorry to get off-topic...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The real problem Jbaz and I were hitting on is not so much the knock offs but the outright scams that are run out of other countries. E-bay has become a popular target of these scams, when you win the auction you find out the item is in anouther country, has fines against it, or just doesn't exist and someone now has your money. With the whole emmisions standards, yea I would be willing the bet the standards over there are much lower or non-existant. I have noticed that due to this fact they seem to have a few more "alternativly" powered vehicles, most of which are due to saving money on gas and seem to increase emmitions alot.

Sepias

·
Registered
892 Posts
the only thing i'd get from indonesia is shoes and small plastic trinckets you get in cereal boxes :p

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can't see where it would be worth the hassle and expense to import a run-of-the-mill bike. It would have to be really special, like a one-of-a-kind, a rare antique, or something.

·
Registered
258 Posts
is it possible to import a bike into cali?
To answer your question on wether you can/should import to Cali: The short answer is NO. If the bike does not have 7500 miles on it, Ca DMV will reject registration no matter what. If a bike does not meet emissions standards of both USA Federal and Cali, and it's "new", then it will be rejected. The clincher is a used bike with 7500 miles on it is considered as meeting emissions standards simply because it has the miles.

Bottom line - If You give California DMV a chance to screw with you, they will do their best to make sure it hurts. I just went through two months of CA DMV hell trying to get a bike registered that was a former Cali bike. Not fun:finger:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for all the advices and opinions. I did a lot of research myself and found out that Cali laws are just a pain in the ass haha so in the end it's really not worth to go through all the trouble. The reason I thought of it in the first place is that I wanted a good beginner sport bike to ride around on and save gas. The only one i see in the U.S. is the Ninja 250r. Other countires have plenty of sport 250 cc's out there like the zzr250 ninja, cbr 150r, cbr 250r, and the cbr 400. I guess Americans like big things and there are not much of a market for those here. I stumbeld across the cbr 150r in a thai site one day and wow that thing looks beautiful for a bike that size. Different overseas companies have been responding to tell me that they won't even touch California because of the hassle so I eventually gave up on it :). If anyone ever wants to import motor vehicles into Cali, they better have some connections up to the top. Apparently you gotta petition customs and Epa if you vehicle is not already on their approved imports list. Anyways thanks again guys, i'll jus got get that 250r.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - new here.

I was also looking into this. Apparently, you need two things to register it in CA.
1: Speedometer in MPH/Miles
2: Dot-approved lights(slight mod to most bikes - hardly worth mentioning for major brands)

And 3: mileage. For some bikes, though, this isn't a requirement - say, importing a Bandit 400 or simmilar, since it was at one time sold in the U.S.
3B: Register it first in a state other than CA. Then either tweak the speedometer manually to ~8000miles(oops - did I say that - lol) - or have a friend ride it around.
3C:Whatever it is, it will also need a compliant muffler. Hondas and most major brands ship with adequate ones - other brands(like the cheaper Chinese stuff) sometimes won't meet noise limits.

Now, the good news - You can get one imported for about $500, and finding a used 150R in Japan is dead-simple. People use them as commuter machines all the time. The figure I've heard is $2000 to actually buy one and get it over here, or closer to $3000-$3500 if you get it new(say registering in Oregon)

Whew. That said, it's possible. A hard, nasty headachce, but possible. Now, if you want a good bike for learning on, I recommed the following ones, used. No hastle with any of them.:

- Vulcan 500LTD. Very user-friendly and built well.
- Virago 535 - Shaft drive and super-low CG make this a perfect bike to learn on.
- Suzuki Savage - Cheap, easy to work on - dead-simple to ride.

Any dualsport. The Yamaha and Suzuki smaller ones are superb bikes. Plus, they soak up bad pavement.

If you want a sportbike...
#3:Ninja 250. Very sweet bike. Used, you can easily find one for $3000 or less. Cash, a bit of Auto Club later... That $3000 usually buys a helmet, a jacket, some mods, and so on as well - the average price is closer to $2500, but a new rider is very well served by getting someone else's ride and a few goodies/upgrades. Just beware of the silly "custom" nonsense, of course. Sam a "chopperized" Ninja 250 advertized - just... sad.

#2:Bandit 400. This little gem can be had for not a lot of money. It's a Bandit 600 right down to the paint and fairing. Just with a smaller, more tame engine. It's a lot more powerful than the Ninja 250, though, but used, these edge out the 250 in terms of bang-for-the-buck. This could well serve you as a second bike. The Inline 4 engine is - well, it's like riding exactly half of a Honda CBR 600RR.(~45-55HP at the wheel, depending on what year and how it's set up)

#1:MZ 125. This is a little bike. The bike is light, fun, registerable, easy to run, inexpensive used, and... Oh yeah - you're going "um - 125?" about now :)

The trick is to get the 160cc "big bore" kit - and make it highway legal. Stock, it has 15HP(~Rebel 250). Kitted, plus a better exhaust, it puts out 18-20HP. It has highway gearing, though, so it'll actually go 75-80mph after the mod. This gets my vote as a CBR150R replacement - unique, fun, and oh yeah - about 80mpg. :)

Weighs a bit under 300 lbs.

And you can register it in 5 minutes. Even in anal California. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts