Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does the ride get more boring after 100mph? The fastest I have gone is just over 100. :eek: I’m asking this because a friend of mine says it’s the most exhilarating thing to go 160. I personally think its retarded to go that fast on public high ways. The back side of a truck comes up fast at those speeds. He just thinks I’m not experienced enough and I will come around to see it his way some day. :rolleyes: Do you guys feel the same way about going fast for the thrill of it?

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Going fast in a straight line is easy; twist the throttle and go. Yeah, it's kinda fun, but not as much fun as going fast 'round a corner, or a series of corners. :thumbs2:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
True 'dat, cookee. My perspective is a monkey can go fast in a straight line (though riding the drag strip is an entirely different subject).

As for riding that fast on the street, its moronic. If you want to go crazy fast go to the strip or a track day. Few things say "poor rider" to me like one who can't control themselves in public. After having ridden the track, I don't bother speeding on public roadways, its just not fun.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is it just me or does the ride get more boring after 100mph? The fastest I have gone is just over 100. :eek: I’m asking this because a friend of mine says it’s the most exhilarating thing to go 160. I personally think its retarded to go that fast on public high ways. The back side of a truck comes up fast at those speeds. He just thinks I’m not experienced enough and I will come around to see it his way some day. :rolleyes: Do you guys feel the same way about going fast for the thrill of it?

You have a great attitude towards this sport and that'll take you a long way. I remember the first time my speedo read 100 it was a little rush, I'm not going to lie (I even made a stupid post on this message board about it). Now that I have more experience I don't even get close to 100 on public streets. If I'm on a ride and people decide to go crazy I just pull aside and meet them at the destination.

That being said, there is really nothing like the front straight at Road America. Coming out of T14 and going WOT for what seems forever as you crest the hill and get that feeling like you are weightless. Head down looking at your lap timer getting ever more anxious to see your lap time. Then your lap time flashes and you start to look for your braking marker. Then its extremely hard on the brakes as you go from 160 mph to your entry speed for T1. You hit your turn in point, knee on the deck at 90mph as you hit the APEX and get back on the throttle hard going down towards T2. That's just about as big of an adrenaline rush as you are going to get on two wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew I wasn’t the only one that felt that way.

Then its extremely hard on the brakes as you go from 160 mph to your entry speed for T1. You hit your turn in point, knee on the deck at 90mph as you hit the APEX and get back on the throttle hard going down towards T2. That's just about as big of an adrenaline rush as you are going to get on two wheels.
That sounds like so much fun. :drool: Maybe some day I can experience that after a few more years of riding on the street.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
As others have said, cornering is definitely where it's at. Way more interesting and fun.

However, I will confess that even in a straight line, things do get pretty intense at 150+.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
when it scares the sheet out of you slow down....always been my guvnor....

disclaimer: not for people with no good sense or total lack of any sense, these people should walk or take a taxi for the safety of others as well as themselves

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Going that fast plus is a rush but also VERY dangerous to you and everyone else. I would try it on a drag strip if you must, other than that, I would be content if myself or my bike never got to see triple digits again. I guess I dont get a rush out of playing with my life. To each his own I suppose.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have a great attitude towards this sport and that'll take you a long way. I remember the first time my speedo read 100 it was a little rush, I'm not going to lie (I even made a stupid post on this message board about it). Now that I have more experience I don't even get close to 100 on public streets. If I'm on a ride and people decide to go crazy I just pull aside and meet them at the destination.

That being said, there is really nothing like the front straight at Road America. Coming out of T14 and going WOT for what seems forever as you crest the hill and get that feeling like you are weightless. Head down looking at your lap timer getting ever more anxious to see your lap time. Then your lap time flashes and you start to look for your braking marker. Then its extremely hard on the brakes as you go from 160 mph to your entry speed for T1. You hit your turn in point, knee on the deck at 90mph as you hit the APEX and get back on the throttle hard going down towards T2. That's just about as big of an adrenaline rush as you are going to get on two wheels.
I can't wait for my first track day at Road America. Hopefully I can find a good deal on a 600cc sportbike before then so I'm not out there topped out at 130 on my SV650s.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I wouldn't sweat that if you've never been to a track. There are 650's on the track every time I'm out there, though I haven't been to RA specifically.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I can't wait for my first track day at Road America. Hopefully I can find a good deal on a 600cc sportbike before then so I'm not out there topped out at 130 on my SV650s.
Bring the SV out there. There are always plenty of them out there on any given RA track day. Some really fast guys on them too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought one of these for the very reasons you explained.http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1315040/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts