Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never done a wheelie since i have been riding (1 year). I have read how to do a wheelie, but once you do it is it easy to keep going backwards until you fall off the bike or does the bike want to come back down on the front wheel again.

Help

------------------

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good Question...

It's kinda funny that I'll go 150 mph down a highway (deserted of course) wrapped in colored cow skin any day of the week.

---No Problem---

I'll take a turn at 3 times the posted limit with the bike so far to the ground that it seems to defy gravity.

---Awesome---

Both acts being possibly life threatening under the right/wrong conditions.

---"no problem, I know the risks---"

But I am too Damn scared to attempt a wheelie, which would probably only cause minor injuries if any, and I don't know why. The only thing I can think of is because I could never ride wheelies on a bicycle when I was younger, I automaticaly assume I can't do it on a motorcycle.

I don't have that feel for center balance.

Especially when it costs $500 for one piece of plastic.

I can't bring myself to possibly trash my bike to prove what I think I already know.
"anybody know a good shrink?"

Also I know that if I did learn how. I would be addicted. literally. I would ride wheelies everywhere, all the time
------------------
Dave
94 fzr1000

"Party on Wayne"

[This message has been edited by ratsalad (edited June 29, 2000).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
oh, boy, this one hit a nerve, so I've just gotta say something. Something. There. I said it. Tee-hee! Just kidding. Actually, I agree completely with Mr. Rat Salad, (dig the name!) (keep groovin' on the Sabbath LP's, man!) I'm just too intimidated by the financial risks to do very many wheelies. I really liked the way he posted about "doing 150 covered in cowskin" and "taking turns at 3 times the posted speed limit" (someday, I'll learn how to use the "quote" feature!) These things hit home for me, 'cause that's EXACTLY how I ride. Coming up on a familiar turn that's marked with a big 50mph sign when I know for a fact that doing 80 around it isn't even a bit of a challenge and 90 or so barely tickles my cockles makes me grin big time and literally attack the turn w/a vengence. However, I know full well that plastic is very expensive and that not only can't I afford to go replacing fairings (I refuse to ride w/a bashed-up bike) but I also don't want to not have a bike to ride period. That's why I don't pull wheelies very often. Before you squids start hurling flaming comets my way; yes, I know how to wheelie. No, I can't shift from 1 to 2 and keep it up, I've not achieved that level of wheelie-dom, but I don't really care to. As you wheelie across the parking lot of the local mall at 55 mph in second, and crash head first into the minivan that cut you off and you couldn't avoid because you had no steering ability because you were on one wheel, I'll be leaving the parking lot. On TWO wheels. So there. Anyway. Wheelies are GREAT! Nothing like popping one right next to the cell-phone yapping not paying atteniton to the friggin' road let alone the 3 year old kid hanging out the window while throwing his toys at the passing motorists and there's no headlights on even though it's 10 :pm soccer mom. Must have a loud can as well. Wheelies are a beautiful thing. An integral part of the whole sportbike experience. But they are not the be-all-end-all. I know squids that spend most of their life on one wheel, but won't do more than grandma speeds in the corners. To me, being leaned over with my knee just skimming over the pavement at about 110 or so is what it's all about. Think about it. That's what our bikes were designed for. Riding FAST. Most stunt-riders use torquey-monsters like Bandit 1200's/or zx1000's (The green Eddie Lawson Kawi bike). Not sportbikes. If you've got a sportbike, scrape the sidewall off those tires and get it leaned over NOW! And not to be a total killjoy, but wheelies are very hard on the front suspension. Steering head bearings don't go bad "all by themselves". I've seen 20-year old bikes with the factory-installed bearings and they are just fine. I've also seen guys right next to me (this is not cool, trust me on this one.) lose it while coming up/coming down w/the front cocked to one side go crashing into the woods/guardrail/other bike/etc. I don't do it too often. Someday, we are all going to wad our precious baby into a small ball of aluminum/carbon fiber/fiberglass. I'd rather be able to say something along the lines of: "yup, doing about a buck-twenty and the rear skipped out. I spoke w/the guardrail after that. Bike's toast" Than say: "pulled it up at about 15mph and when I came down, there was a rock/ladybug/ball of dust in the road and the front just went bye-bye and I wadded it. That's just me and I'll shut up now. Sorry for the loooooong post. Cheers! HEY! iT'S THE FOURTH OF JULY THIS COMING WEEK! HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!

------------------
Cosmo
"May I please, remain in this space, for darts......"

P

·
0 Posts
You know the saying about m/c riders, there are those have gone down, and those that will? In my opinion, doing wheelies definitely increases the odds of that statement being true.

I've done some experimenting with wheelies on my VFR, which is not very easy to get up (at least for me). After one incident using the throttle chop method, where I panicked and slammed the front down hard, I am not too anxious to continue such activities. My wrists were sore for a week, my balls for a couple hours (which felt like an eternity).

IMO, the best looking wheelies are the low power wheelies in the low gears, like when coming out of corners on the track.

I have a buddy who's limping around on crutches with screws in his leg from looping his CBR900RR a couple weeks ago. No thanks.

Nothing against the wheeliemeisters, but I'm glad to see others feel like I do (GreenNinja, Kyle, Tony, et. al.).

------------------
Pete
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited June 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
First off, you ride a twin, on which I have absolutely NO experience whatsoever. I will just share with you what I know about my happy little I-4.

On my bike, I feel like it is more probably that I will loop it (flip it on myself) in 2nd gear than in first. It revs so quickly in first that it doesn't have time to flip over on me. Once I hit second in the power band, that's when things get interesting. You really have to be good with throttle control to keep it going . I dunno about you, but with me, I feel totally comfortable on one wheel, I just have to be careful hittin' 2nd gear. Basically; find your point of balance, and try to stay there using the throttle. Once you do that, you'll be set.

The only other way I can think of to crash during a wheelie is if you're moving REAL good (80-100+ mph) and a crosswind hits you on either side. It WILL make you fall off your bike. I know a guy who skidded down the freeway on his back because of this. His bike landed the wheelie all by itself, went for about a mile (he fell at 110mph), rolled and fell gently into the grass on the side of the road. Talk about lucky. He wasn't hurt too badly, and his bike didn't have a single scratch. Some BAD roadrash for him, but nothing broken. Crosswind is an issue at high speeds, so be careful if you're one of those freeway wheelie guys. Good luck dude...

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited June 30, 2000).]

P

·
0 Posts
The only reason I learned how to wheelie is so that I could do it after beating other riders on the street, like the pros do on the track after crossing the finish line. The street is my racetrack, baby!

------------------
Pete
-Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I know just what you mean Pete! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I can only wheelie in first and because of the destruction ($$) factor I have no intrest in improving that skill. I agree that it would feel pretty foolish to destroy your bike on a wheelie as apposed to on a twistie.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Cosmo and Ratsalad u guys are right on the money.

I agree that wheelies are (can be) cool. But i love my bike and would rather not abuse/potentially wreck by bike by my own deliberate experimentation.

The bikes were designed for turning and acceleration, (and top speed??), *NOT* to do wheelies. (A wheelie is the *last* thing you want to do in the >>middle<< of a >>tight<< race!)

Doesnt mean you SHOULDNT do them, just means that u are gambling something everytime you do. We all know even the MOST SKILLED wheelie gods still wad thier bikes every so often. Is it their fault, some may say no, "it was a cross wind" or whatnot, but ultimately if they were not wheelieing in the first place it would have never happened.

So, all you wheelie guys, take videos cuz us who dont do so many love to watch a good wheelie, (kick ass stuff) but its also entertaining (in a sick sensational way) to see someone really f*&k up trying to pull a wheelie "just a little better" than the last one!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited June 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's why I'm glad I don't wheelie very high. Unless I want it up high I only pull it up about a foot. This way it looks more like I'm just getting on it hard. I also don't do clutch wheelies. I used too...until I almost looped my CBR F1 (yes...that 550 pound bike can wheelie). Dropped the clutch and the bike came up fast!!! Both feet and my butt came off the bike. Luckily, I managed to close the throttle fast. I came back on (ouch) and everyone looked at me funny. They said I was close to verticle. No more clutch wheelies for Dan.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i just can't believe you own and r1 and haven't wheelied it. i do the worst wheelies of all time and i can wheelie the crap out of an r1.

wheelies on an r1--put butt against passenger seat. put bike in first at 4000 rpm. slam open throttle, close immediately, because your front wheel is no longer in contact with the ground. from there learn control.

as for the price. blow a fork seal, don't fix it right away and tell me if wheelies are worth it. steering head bearings, rear tires, chains, etc. forget crashing, it's this stuff that makes wheelies suck. ask cbris_y2k_r1 how quickly tires go away when wheelieing a bike.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
503 Posts
is n e 1 else jeoulus that this guy has an r1 & 916 & he has only been riding a year? :D

ive crashed a wheelie once.. i was hit from behind by another bike. :mad:

------------------

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Am I the only one that noticed this guy has an R1 and a 916 with one year of riding experience? Bastard! You obviously have a few bucks, so I suggest you spend some on track schools. Ok, "how to wheelie" isn't on the standard curriculum, but they will teach you a lot about throttle control/braking/balance which will help your wheelies.
The most common crash-causer during wheelies is panicking when the bike goes past its balance point. Remember that engine braking has plenty of force to "bring you back", and is easier to modulate smoothly than using the rear brake.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Grrrrr - Wheelies are relativley easy;
but they get more complicated the longer
you go. I've almost flipped yes, but I know
where the balance point is and flipping is
well past that. All you need to do to drop
the front is drop the throttle. If you a
panic type person don't ride 'em. If you
can keep your cool in sketchy situations go
for it. I have been riding wheelies all 10
years I have been riding. The one thing I
try to avoid is popping the clutch to get the
front up b/c this is Russion Roulette. Too
many factors, IE tire pressure, humidity,
fuel level.. It's too shady at speed. IMO
The bigger the bike the safer it is b/c the
bike will do it more smoothly...

I say go for it!

Chris :p :cool: :p

------------------
If the front wheel's in the air, Your front tire you will spare.

·
Registered
741 Posts
As you know, I have been practicing wheelies on my little zx-6r... The first few times, I panicked and slammed the front down... I have that on video too, but we won't re-hash that... My balls still hurt looking at that! :eek: But after a while, I am getting very used to it, and although I can't get it way up (which is probably all for the better ;) ) It is becoming much smoother and more fluid to do them! I think they are fun, and since I live in FL the roads here are boring and straight and flat so you have to go looking for interesting corners to fly on, sooo... I do wheelies! Well.. I try to do wheelies! My bike is in no way a wheelie king! But I haven't come close to crashing *knock on wood* so it's all good! Good luck with them, and it will come to you with practice!

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
JL1314, never seen www.sportbikegang.com? The best wheelier is the guy on the ZX6R. It's all about the rider. An R1 wheelies at 4 grand, but I have to pull it up at 8 or 9. Big deal. If I knew how to ride it (and wanted to clutch it) I could pull it up at lower speeds.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Speaking from expirience.. No need to clutch
it.. Just weight positioning and timing. For
the R1 that is.. low fuel helps too.

------------------
If the front wheel's in the air, Your front tire you will spare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts