Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing the term "Inverted forks" being used when talking about the new CBR 600. What exactly does this term mean. I have been trying to picture it but haven't quite got a grip on it. Can someone please clear this up. I may be trading my 99 F4 on the new F5 or CBR 600 RR or whatever it's going to be called.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Inverted forks have the valves and fluid chamber on the top, rather then on the bottom. This reduces the amount of unsprung weight by moving the weight to the sprung end. This improves suspension response, because there is less mass, and there for less inertia to overcome, when the suspension must move. Also, its not like you can just take your forks off and flip em over, just so you know.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
SilentNEKO said:

CRAP!! you couldn't have told me that an hour ago, how the hell am I going to fix this?:eek: :confused: :( :crying:
LMAO... this is funny on SO many levels... but, in this case, don't take the term, "rubber side down" too literally. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Gee, I don't know, I inverted the forks on my CBR one time. Just for about half a second though then they fliped back over.:D Is the new CBR going to have upsidedown forks? Thought I read that Honda wasn't going to flip them for the 600.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevlar7R said:
Inverted forks have the valves and fluid chamber on the top, rather then on the bottom. This reduces the amount of unsprung weight by moving the weight to the sprung end. This improves suspension response, because there is less mass, and there for less inertia to overcome, when the suspension must move. Also, its not like you can just take your forks off and flip em over, just so you know.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the detail. I've only been riding for 3 years, I obviously have alot to learn. Thanks again!:)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the other big advantage to inverted forks is they don't flex as bad. the big disadvantage is in crashes they tend to bend frames easier...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts