Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a winner

That's right. The 1993 Ducati 916 was the first bike to use inverted forks. It was also the first bike to use four valve heads and Marelli fuel injection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually my '91 Kawasaki ZX-7 had inverted forks i believe it was one of the first bike with the upsidedowns. It handled very well for a bike of its day.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the 1989 Gixxer 750 had some special RR model with inverted forks but it was very rare and not really considred a production bike. I know the 89-90 zx-7 models had conventional forks...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Actually, the 916 didn't even come out until 1995 in the U.S. (there may have been a '94 model overseas, I'm not sure).

But I do know that the 1991 Ducati 851 had inverted forks, so that's one of them. I'm sure there had to be others before '91...

·
Registered
489 Posts
i have seen an old classic bike with inverted forks i think it was a Francis Barnet and i would say it was at least 60 years old and it was taken from a shed where it had been lying untouched for over 20 years.
i am no expert on classic bike so i cannot give any more info than that but it definently had inverted forks . I think the bmw mentioned previous had normal forks with a sleeve over to protect them and makes it look like it might be inverted forks

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
naefearjustbeer said:
I think the bmw mentioned previous had normal forks with a sleeve over to protect them and makes it look like it might be inverted forks
I don't think so...

Look at this.
Aris

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
naefearjustbeer said:
Boy do i look stupid :( :eek:
Oh come on, don't take it so seriously :D
This BMW drawing I found was really great though :cool:
In any case, the question isn't clear.
What do we mean by ' Inverted Forks' ?
The first picture that comes to mind is of an Ohlins fork on a WSB Ducati or something. Then as we think about it more we realize that inverted forks are all forks which have the lower part sliding in the upper part. (general description...)
That's how I came up with the R25 picture.

Hey now that I think about it, this bike has also got inverted forks :p

Aris

PS. If noone wants more trivia, I'll quit creating new ones :(

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts