Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking through a bike magazine and came about the bruce transportation group racing team and noticed that their f4i had inverted forks. has anyone personally done this mod and give a few tips as to where to begin or what forks to get?

·
53 Posts
Which magazine was that? Are you sure it was the F4i, and not the 954? I know that Erion uses standard style forks on their F4i, so I cannot imagine that Bruce, who gets mucho support from Erion, uses inverted forks. And if I am not mistaken, the rules would not allow such a change from standard equipment (in the same vein as the chassis restrictions).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
am i sure? of course...

Sport Rider - June 2002 issue
page 28, lower half page ad of ohlins shocks.
definately f4i, it shows the front half of the bike as well as part of the rear... everything looks just like my bike except the front inverted forks and the seat, shocks, rear set.

go check it out. maybe there's something i'm not aware of.

ian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I scanned it so you dont have to go home to see it.
I know the anticipation must be killing you so i saved you the trouble...

you're welcome ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
liquid5170 said:
Sport Rider - June 2002 issue, page 28, lower half page ad of ohlins shocks.
I think it's their 929 from last season. One big difference between the 600 and 929/954 is the way the swingarm mounts. The 929/954 has a "pivotless" frame, and the swingarm hangs off the back of the cases. While the 600 swingarm pivot passes through the cases, it bolts to the frame. Look closely at the smaller inset photo. You'll see that the frame ends just above the countershaft and swingarm pivot; that's a 929. On a 600 the frame extends downward and the swingarm bolt passes through it.

·
53 Posts
I made it home before seeing your post, and DataDan is correct as I suspected, and you, my friend, are wrong. ;) That's the 929 with F4 bodywork to accomodate the ram air. Look at the tank. Look at the swingarm. Look at the rear plastics. Look at the subframe. And as DataDan points out, look at the frame. ;)

If you're still interested in inverted forks for your F4i, I'd suggest contacting Dan Kyle of Dan Kyle Racing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok ok i was wrong! :) :twofinger

i didn't know it would take so much to change forks??

i'm probably wrong but cant i just get a pair of inverted forks with the same dimensions, new triple clamps, brakes, rotors and call it a day? :D

ian

·
53 Posts
liquid5170 said:
i'm probably wrong but cant i just get a pair of inverted forks with the same dimensions, new triple clamps, brakes, rotors and call it a day? :D

If you want to spend about 2 grand...like I suggested, contact Dan Kyle, http://www.kyleusa.com/ , he should be able to answer any questions you have about Ohlins forks.

Are you going for looks or performance? Another option may be to mate a 929/954 front end to your bike, and go with Race Tech springs/valving for increased performance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A 929/954 complete front end (forks/wheel/brakes) will bolt up to an F4i. HOWEVER, you will most likely have all sorts of clearance problems if you're running stock bodywork and gauges.

·
Registered
72 Posts
liquid5170 said:
i was looking through a bike magazine and came about the bruce transportation group racing team and noticed that their f4i had inverted forks. has anyone personally done this mod and give a few tips as to where to begin or what forks to get?
look closer it is a 954......oops like the other gentleman said last years 929

1 - 14 of 14 Posts