Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Let me first start by saying that I have been browsing for a few weeks, trying to get information, and this place is GREAT! So much information, and good people to boot.

A little about myself.

I am 19 years old, just got my learners today and I'm going to be taking a class (private lesson, since the MSF course has been full since september) shortly to learn more about riding.

I'm a mountain biker, and have been on a bike since I could walk. I've gone faster in the dirt on my bike than in my car.

I'm also a car nut. Specifically Subaru, but I'm into most vehicles. If it's got an engine, I've got love for it :).

I'm just starting to look for a bike and get started in riding. The biggest turnon is 50mpg, since the Legacy only gets 15mpg on a good day.

A few of my friends ride, one with an 05 R1, and another with a few older bikes (77 Kawasaki).

I'm just getting started, but that's me in a nutshell.

Enjoy the ride!

Phil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That IS HIC's slogan. Good eye :). I have been saying that line long before I knew HIC existed. Kind of a cool coincidence that it's their corporate slogan too though. I am not much of a surfer. I tried, I sucked, but it was fun!

I did find the post, thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!

I am still pretty lost on what bike to get, considering availability. I am pretty glad that I have the self control to not go out and buy an 05 R6. I'd hate to scratch up a brand new bike, or worse.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
BAC5.2 said:
I am still pretty lost on what bike to get, considering availability. I am pretty glad that I have the self control to not go out and buy an 05 R6. I'd hate to scratch up a brand new bike, or worse...
This is damn good thinking, not running out and getting a brand new replica.
As far as availability, I can tell you from personal experience that time is your best friend. I don't mean to tell you some stuff you already know, so if I am, apologies, but if you keep your eye on the Cycle Trader, and the local newspaper, inside of 2 months you should see something that's right for your experience level and budget.

Take care.:thumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip!

I'm probably looking to buy in the next month or two.

I have been thinking about getting an older R6.

Are the 02-03 R6's still a ridiculous amount of bike? While I do feel like I will become a capable rider, I'm still a beginner now, and I'll be a beginner until I get more riding experience under my belt.

I'll keep my eye out. There's gotta be someone out there who wants to get rid of a bike to upgrade for the season.

As long as I can get 50mpg, I'll be happy :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
been a long time....

...yeah it had been a long time since I saw or heard anyone say that. I've owned ALOT of HIC equipment over the years! As for your bike cofusion......look hard at Suzukis' SV650 and 650S models. I have a good friend that races and helps instruct at some of Pridmores' eastern schools....he says the SV is an awesome learners tool (he is also a Suzuki dealer..'lil bias... maybe?)! One thing to be sure of though, there are alot of good "starter" bikes out there and as Ducati said above.....time is on your side!:D Happy hunting!:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts