Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've avoided riding the busy interstate (I-80) that runs from Sacramento to San Francisco b/c there's so much traffic on it, so I assumed riding it was more dangerous than an ordinary road.

Does anyone else avoid this, or am I being stupid by assuming that? At least there are no intersections on interstates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ESanders2 said:
sorry, what i meant was "do you avoid interstate riding"
Heh, actually I live right near 80 as well but I'm all the way in Ohio. I'm still somewhat of a newb as I only have my permit still so I'm legally not allowed to drive on the interstate yet, but I did try it out once already. Quite exhiliarating.

Anyway, I think it stands to reason that interstate driving is more dangerous simply because of the higher speeds. You have less reaction time when going 75 compared to 35 as well as a whole lot more momentum working against you. I'm looking forward to getting my license so that I can ride the highways but you can guarantee I'll be a bit more cautious there than I am in the city.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
IMO Interstate riding is probably the safest place you can be. Riding on highways and in towns you are faced with side streets where people can jump out at you, pedestrians crossing the road, stop and go traffic, people running lights/signs, etc. Interstates don't have a lot of those dangers. Sure, it's higher speed, but it's still safer. To me anyway. :2cents:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I enjoy interstate riding as long as the traffic is flowing. When there is gridlock it sucks and thats when I think it starts to get dangerous.

The biggest danger on a flowing interstate are things all of the sudden in the middle of the road or things flying off the backs of trucks. As long as you give yourself a good sight line and plenty of space though you should be ok.

I always believe in riding a bit faster then traffic on the interstate also. Keeps all the danger in front of you and makes you standout more. The worse thing you can do on the freeway is just settle down with traffic and stay in one lane.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I avoid interstates because they are very boring, but I feel quiet safe on them. The responsivness of a sportbike allows me to think of other vehicles as stationary objects. So the only concerns are having an exit strategy in case something happens in front of me, making sure that no one is tailgating me, and not staying beside someone any longer than I absolutely have to.

What scares me most is in town riding.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ESanders2 said:
sorry, what i meant was "do you avoid interstate riding"
Hell no.

I don't seek it out, but I don't avoid it. And it is pretty boring if you just follow traffic, but I avoid that boredom by usually cruising on the highways at around 130. :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ESanders2 said:
I've avoided riding the busy interstate (I-80) that runs from Sacramento to San Francisco b/c there's so much traffic on it, so I assumed riding it was more dangerous than an ordinary road.

Does anyone else avoid this, or am I being stupid by assuming that? At least there are no intersections on interstates.
I run that stretch all the time, E. Sometimes I take 680 through Walnut Creek to Oakland.

The interstate is much safer than surface streets...no intersections, the traffic moves at pretty much the same speed, in the same directions. Splitting lanes can be pretty intense, but it's an enjoyable challenge.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I do it quite a bit. It grows on you.

When I'm on the Interstate I feel safer because there are fewer things that need to be attended to. All you need to do is not hit another motorist, not get hit BY another motorist and not get pulled over for speeding.

Friends have told me that Interstates are better places to reach insane speeds because it's pretty 2D. You only have to look for cops behind you and in front of you (for the most part).

I wouldn't know about that though, because I never exceed the posted speed limit.:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interstate riding is certainly not boring. I love weaving through heavy traffic at obsurd speeds. I know it's not the best idea, but for me it's a sacrifice well worth it. There are a couple long fairly sharp positive cambered turns which you can crank through at ridiculous speeds. I do it if there is some light traffic or heavy. I love interstate riding.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't have much experience riding on the interstate other than a 1200 mile weekend ride up and down US-2/I-75 in Michigan. One thing I saw that made me nervous was a jerk in a cage tailgating a H-D rider. Of course the H-D rider gave him the "you're number one" gesture and got out of the way, but damn that car was right on his ass.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
I don't do much interstate riding, simply because there aren't many in my neck of the woods. But as it's been said by others, I do feel safer on the interstate due to there almost always being an exit. And by an exit, I don't mean a freeway exit. An exit to being "boxed in" where you have no safe egress. On top of that, a bikes ability to out accelerate, outbrake, or outswerve most cars leaves a rider more options out of being one of two objects trying to occupy the same space at the same time.

Aside from the wear on the tires, I don't mind interstate riding at all.

·
Registered
526 Posts
interstate

The only thing your fighting here on the interstates is the wind!!! you can see for miles of no traffic and no cops, got to love it

·
Registered
101 Posts
DanQ said:
[B

Aside from the wear on the tires, I don't mind interstate riding at all. [/B]
I forget about the squaring tires. That does suck, but you can always go into the hills to round em off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I despise riding on the interstate. Riding my nike at top speed straight bores me.

As has been assumed by many here though, it is the safest place to ride off of a track. Unless you hit stop and go traffic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts