Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Interesting !

So does this mean that Hammer, CD and the rest of the ARRC guys will be lining up on the grid ?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
And of course

their bikes, team and brolly dolly's are there.

I reckon it's a cheap practise session for them. As long as the organisers don't start the 107% rule :D

It would be cool to see how quick they are without weight and other Asia pac restrictions:crying:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Oh i forgot

if anybody fancies a run out in the 600's then Rods Asai pac R6's are available for a minmal fee. OK not the fastest bikes on the grid but an excellent opertunity if you wanna give it a whirl.
Barry will bring them to the circuit ( with mechanic) if you fancy a go.

You can contact him on [email protected]

:cool:
PS don;t forget these are the legendary "Fat& Furious Racing" team bikes:twofinger

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Oh i forgot

bigphil said:
if anybody fancies a run out in the 600's then Rods Asai pac R6's are available for a minmal fee. OK not the fastest bikes on the grid but an excellent opertunity if you wanna give it a whirl.
Barry will bring them to the circuit ( with mechanic) if you fancy a go.
Slasher might have a go again. Have you talked to him?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Nah

i think he'll be concentrating on his K4 for a while. and he wants to be at the front or not bother + plus he's already taken part before.

I was thinking more along the lines of somebody that fancied it for the "experience" value

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Nah this one is real

Boycie rode it over the border a couple O weeks back.
Of course it's completely MSS legal and doesn't have loadsa trick gear thrown at it.

SO things looking good in the excuse stakes.
We got Boycie with his bike sorted ( finally) and just needing to get used to a bike that actually brakes when it's supposed to.

And Slasher not giving away HP to anyone anymore.

Roll on MotoGP is what i say chaps:D

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Re: Nah

bigphil said:
i think he'll be concentrating on his K4 for a while. and he wants to be at the front or not bother + plus he's already taken part before.

I was thinking more along the lines of somebody that fancied it for the "experience" value
How slow are these old dogs and what sort of mulah would it cost me..... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

They are 2000 R6's ( i think ). Ohilns shock and piped and jetted. With the right rider not too sloopy at all

I really have no idea what kinda wonga is needed. Best is to talk to Rod ( [email protected] ).
He's a top bloke and i'm sure he'd do you a deal. Plus he'll probably be there for the GP support race so even better. Just let him know who are and how you know us wankers and i'm sure he'll sympathyse :twofinger

·
Registered
406 Posts
Silva Bullet said:
Well, it seems the level in Supersports is definitely going to be higher than in Superbike...

Have a read: HERE
Hmmn......How can MMS Supersports be entry level racing if the 'sunday driver' riders like me get lapped before we mirror, signal, manoeuvre into the first turn???

They give us a class of our own so we don't get mullered by tricked up litre rockets but now half way through the season we get to be rogered to death by pro's.

It's not going to inspire anyone new to join and a total reversal of theoriginal concept. Perhaps a tad dangerous and all. ( cast your mind back to race II when the poor 1st timer on a 748 got under everyones toes we all said that was dangerous..)

I though we got to vote on rule changes anyway, or at least the MSS committee..... Gareth you new about this?

A big Bag-of-Wank.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Organisers objectives

I suppose you have to look at the long term objective here, the idea wasnt to arrange a nice day out for Singapore expats. The idea was to encourage grass roots motorsports and by making it more competative it will be more productive at nuturing genuine tallent. I think that the organsiers are leaving the Superbikes unregualted and with no international licence holders so they leave a place open for middle age weekend warriors. Not much help if you own a 600 and want to pootle around in relaitive safety without getting lapped a couple of times a race. I think it would be fair to say the the Petronas boys will turn up for most races and most of the ARRC boys would be keen to compete in the GP support race. Doubt if many of themk will fly over for all races though. It would be good to see Mat racing regualrly again.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Long term

Yes I suppose my view is relatively selfish but probably shared by a number of us currently racing both in SG & Malaysia, expat and local.

I dont think in the long run its a bad idea if enough thought is given to safety and organisation. It still concerns me that you going to have a vast difference of skils,speeds and mentalities on the same track at the same time. Likely to be more incidents unless something like a 107% rule is applied. ( Thats me off the grid already!!)

I do think however, they should let the season run its course before making such a fundamental change. I don' think the idea of running the 600 class had this in mind when it was discussed in the meeting last year when we were all invited to discuss the 600 class rules and regs. In fact come to think of it , it was quite the opposite.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Long term

Boycie said:
Likely to be more incidents unless something like a 107% rule is applied. ( Thats me off the grid already!!)
Agree that there might be more incidents with more riders on the grid, but then again that will be if there are more "normal" riders entering also. Also, think you should calculate before you say that you will be outside the 107% limit. You are well witin it. In AsiaPac, I believe there is a 109% limit also...
The real problems start when you have people that are 10-15% (my opinion) off or more (depending on race distance of course). The Ducati 748R "Sunday rider", was something like 20-30% off the times of the front runners. That was dangerous.

It has always been the intention of Sepang to make MSS into something more and develop it into a proving ground for local talent. Read here: http://www.superseries.com.my/html/history.html

·
Registered
406 Posts
Point of fact

If you can cast your mind back to that meeting last year after a track day when all were invited upstairs to discuss this years series; including proposed rules, regulations and licencing.

The intention, as I understood it, was definitely not to have pro's or semi-pro's riding with us. It was felt that this would discourage 'new-comers' from entering the series and ruin any chance of average riders getting on the podium. They were quite specific about this and we all nodded.

If I mis-understood, or twisting words let me know!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hey!

The Ducati 748R "Sunday rider", was something like 20-30% off the times of the front runners. That was dangerous
Nils - In case you thought that was me - I have a 996... :twofinger

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Same right from the start

From the first MSS race there was a fair gap between the front runners and the back markers. The only difference was that slower rider had a fair chance of the quick guys giving them half a chance to get out of the way rather than screaming past and having them off. Having said that there have been a couple of incidents where faster guys got a bit carried away and slower guys suffered as a result:eek:

I wouldnt get too worked up about it just yet, the GP support is sure to attract a lot of interest but in the long run the ARRC boys might not be all that interested.

Id have to agree that making such drastic changes mid season is a bit off but its not a democracy is it;)

If I was to make a wild stab in the dark about the motivation behind the mid season change Id be thinking of a Malaysian oil company who would gain out of their team participating.

Where is my tin foil hat:squid:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
For once

For once ( and it don't happen often) i agree with Boycie on this.

I thought the MSS was to make road racing accesable to all and to provide a stepping stone, if people had talent, to the Asia Pac

While some might think this issue as a " anybody can join as long as they're not faster than us" rant you have to place serious question marks by the safety aspect. FIrst timers on the same grid as Asia Paccers has got F up written all over it.
Just my 2 ringgets worth.

And while on the subject>>>>all potential contenders for the GP support race have got their sump plugs wired! right?? :crying:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So basically what I was saying, was that as long as there is not too big a gap between front runners and the backrunners it is ok. If not, you will have problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts