Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I finally found a bike I would like to purchase and now I am looking for some good insurance. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
State Farm, but most places I've been won't write a bike-only policy, so you'll have to have car insurance through them too. They have the best motorcycle rates I've seen from anyone.

J

·
0 Posts
State Farm.... My 750 monster was $29 a month and my 05' Ninja w/ 25,000 in medical is only $39..
They go by engine cc and nothing else..

Honestly, there car insurance is great also.. I pay $101 for my ram...

·
Registered
52 Posts
State Farm is also the best insurance I have found for all of my bikes present and past.

Spicersh is right, they will not write a "Bike only" policy. You have to have a car insured with them also.

·
Registered
367 Posts
kacey kaye said:
Congratulations. Glad you found a bike. MEEMIC -- Michigan Educators Insurance Company will also give you a good price. You get Progressive Insurance, but it's at a good discount becuase teachers are generally a low risk.:)
They must not know about your secret obsession with the flames huh? :p

·
Registered
265 Posts
kacey kaye said:
Congratulations. Glad you found a bike. MEEMIC -- Michigan Educators Insurance Company will also give you a good price. You get Progressive Insurance, but it's at a good discount becuase teachers are generally a low risk.:)
We didn't have the same positive experience as you.

My wife's a teached and we tried Meemic. They were cheaper on the vehicles compared to State Farm, but Progressive wanted $1200 a year for my bike when it only costs me about $380 per year with SF. Overall, SF was still cheaper for everything. Needless to say, we stayed with SF.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Progressive has been good for me. Although I have to admit that I haven't checked with MEEMIC yet. I really need to get off my ass and do that, for car and home too.

Kevin

·
Registered
424 Posts
iroc8210 said:
They must not know about your secret obsession with the flames huh? :p
Hahahaha. Either they don't know or they don't think I'll burn the bike.:)

Meemic was more for my car. They consider my house a high risk because it's over 50 years old so they won't insure it. The only thing they could help me out with was my bike.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Progressive. Discount for AMA members.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
just keep shopping.
State Farm is good if your record is decent.
Their price is annual and includes full coverage. My 00 gixxer 600 was only 293 for the year with a 100 deductible. Never have found a better price.

I went through a company called Sentry for the busa which also had a really good rate. (they only look at last 3 years on your record as well and they gave me a 10% discount for AMA and a 5% discount for being in Redline Superbike)

Geico does not insure bikes in Michigan yet.
Progressive is OK. some seem to get a good price others dont
GMAC also insures bikes

·
Registered
731 Posts
Insurance

Try Bikeline.com they were cheaper for me than Progressive.

Even though I had been with Progressive for three years with no incidents.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone...I guess I have some homework looking up some quotes. All in a days work!:p

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The problem with State Farm is that they have had some extremely huge class action verdicts against them, some or all for fraudulenly representing what they would do or did do when claims were made. One or more such actions found that State Farm lied to insureds about what kind of parts they were putting on cars that were getting repaired from accidents. They told them they were OEM new, when in fact they were not.

And should you be sued, God help you. State Farm is about as bad as Allstate when it comes to leaving the insured hanging out in the wind while they make a bad faith offer to settle the claim.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
fuster said:
The problem with State Farm is that they have had some extremely huge class action verdicts against them, some or all for fraudulenly representing what they would do or did do when claims were made. One or more such actions found that State Farm lied to insureds about what kind of parts they were putting on cars that were getting repaired from accidents. They told them they were OEM new, when in fact they were not.

And should you be sued, God help you. State Farm is about as bad as Allstate when it comes to leaving the insured hanging out in the wind while they make a bad faith offer to settle the claim.
I'm sure they are no angels, but I've had five claims since I've been with State Farm. One for my house getting broken into, one for a totaled bike, one for a stolen bike, one for a head on collision, and one for being rear-ended. All five times the claims were dealt with very quickly, professionally, and fairly. They never hung me out to dry (rental cars, holding payments, etc.) or lied to me about anything, and not once did they ever even hint at raising my rates. They didn't use OEM new parts on my car when they fixed it, but they made it very clear that they weren't and I was fine with it. I'm not sure what they would have done if I told them I wouldn't accept them. :dunno:

They may have screwed some people but they've done right by me when I needed them. Same for everyone I know with State Farm.

Were the above mentioned issues found to be company wide, or localized to a particular state or area? Just wondering.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts