Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next spring I plan on getting a 2008 Ninja 250. I'll be 16. I'll have 1 year of driving experience. I took the MSF course. The bike will be stored in the garage and I'll be the only person riding it. What coverage should I get and what should it cost me? I got a quote for 700 a year and it was adequate coverage.

·
Registered
892 Posts
as long as its a new bike get full coverage. the 250's are usually good on insurance. do some quotes on progressive and any of the other big guys who do quotes online. thats the best way to see if your getting decent coverage.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
just be lucky you weren't quoted 7000 a year... when I started out, I was quoted 4800 a year through my car insurance on a bike that was worth 2400... do the math...

Sometimes, insurance companies make a no sense a... :dunno:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Progressive allows you to get an online quote so you can see a rough estimate of what you would have to pay. You can change all the factors and what not too. Like payments with full coverage vs just liability.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Make sure you get uninsured motorist.

Hit and runs are common to happen to bikers. If you don't have uninsured during a hit and run you'll get stuck eating the whole bill.

Medical Payments will cover your medical when you screw up (like wipe on a curve).

·
Registered
17 Posts
streetbreed22 said:
Progressive

After talking to a few mechanics I have found out that Progressive likes to cut corners and often tells body work people to do shittier work and use old parts etc...

Just what I have heard, but I decided not to go with progressive because I didn't want to deal with them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
wow you guys are paying an insane amount, here in colorado with minimum legal coverage I got quoted at 350 a year for a F4i and only being 16. of course I didnt get it, i was just curious what it would be

·
Registered
40 Posts
Liability @ the minimum and
Bodily Injury (or whatever it's called) @ 25k,

I'm 20, clean record, '05 ninja 250, and I pay around 500 a year through Geico. I'm a bit lazy and didn't hunt around though... I hear Farmer's is the best around here, but I think it's a local.

·
Registered
892 Posts
thats cause your only getting liability. which means that your only covered for other people. if you wreck you get nothing! but broken bones and a fucked up bike.

·
Registered
265 Posts
farmers really is good but they dont have complete coverage... I think they dont offer death/dismemberment , and loss of use coverage. no medical either. I still got it though cause all of those are covered by my primary medical insurance. And i work in a hospital, so if it comes to the "C"word, I think i'm covered pretty good.

for you though... I would recommend full coverage... and i mean full! medical, uninsured, death/dismmbrment, bodily injury, property damage, and maybe loss of income too (if youre working)

you'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
At least you arn't in my boat. 18 yrs old with a 2004 ZX10R. It under my father now but when I was curious to see how much it was under me, it was almost a thousand a month. My driving record could be cleaner. Not one ticket on my past bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think I need full coverage. My mother is some kind of nurse, I don't know exactly what kind, but we have excellent medical insurance. Would state farm be the best insurance company?

·
Registered
265 Posts
sergio15 said:
I don't think I need full coverage. My mother is some kind of nurse, I don't know exactly what kind, but we have excellent medical insurance. Would state farm be the best insurance company?
i dont think that cuts it though... medical insurances only cover xx%... I'm a nurse too and my medical insurance will only cover 90%... sounds a lot... but if the "C"word happens and I end up needing major surgery... thats $100,000+!, so I'll still end up covering $10,000. If I had the medical insurance through your motorcycle insurance, I think it covers the whole expense up to a certain amount that you choose (100k or 250k), then you can have the medical insurance through your moms works to cover the rest!..... Thats how i understood it...

the only reason I didnt get the medical coverage through my m/c insurance is because I am covered by other supplementary insurances offered here at my work... plus i got short & long term disability too so I'm covered pretty good... the short & long term & other supplementary insurance only covers the employee... so technically all the other good stuff doesnt cover you... I think:huh:

so it's still recommended that you take the full coverage. plus some insurance company will actually deny you service at your age unless you apply for full coverage!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts