Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anywhere or anyone I can go to this winter while I'm home in VA on leave that would be willing to teach me to ride? I am planning on getting a bike over my christmas leave, and really want to take a training course. I've riden ~20 self-taught hours on a friend's bike, but I want some formal training. My next chance to take the MSF course will be this summer, and I really don't want to wait that long. I was planning on doing it on my own, but after reading a report that said 92% of all accidents involve self-taught or friend-taught riders, I don't want to add to that statistic.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You could try contacting the local MSF to see if they could refer you to one of their instructors. Probably just a matter of compensation. Generally speaking, they're good people. MY .02

Good Luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
MSF Instructor professional standards pretty much prevent us from training away from a recognized/licensed/insured training site. For the most part, if you find a certified Instructor who is willing to give partial training, away from a site, you should probably be suspicious of that Instrutor's standards.

On the other hand, there are training sites that operate year 'round, some also offer 1:1 training, on your schedule. That said, try contacting local schools, or your state's safety office.

If that does not pan out, you could always visit Arizona! I work at a school that has classes all year round. An Arizona class may not get you a free pass for a VA license, but at least you will have learned the skills that you'll need for the tests.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts