Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I compiled a bunch of information to understand some things about electoral votes in the state I currently reside. The results that I sent to a friend are below. I did this out of my annoyance at the state's perceived ultraconservativism. I suspect I would feel exactly opposite if I lived in California, but my eyes are too tired to analyze their history. Most of you probably don't care, but since I did all this work, I thought I'd share it.

In 1816, the first election for the state, James Monroe got the Indiana votes.

Others following:
James Monroe
Andrew Jackson* - Dem
Andrew Jackson* - Dem
Andrew Jackson
William Harrison
William Harrison
James Polk* - Dem
Lewis Cass* - Dem
Franklin Pierce* - Dem
James Buchanan* - Dem
Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln
Ulysses S. Grant
Ulysses S. Grant
Samuel Tilden* - Dem
James Garfield
Grover Cleveland* - Dem
Benjamin Harrison
Grover Cleveland* - Dem
William McKinley
William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt
William Taft
Woodrow Wilson* - Dem
Charles Hughes
Warren Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover
Franklin D. Roosevelt* - Dem
Franklin D. Roosevelt* - Dem
Wendell Willkie
Thomas Dewey
Thomas Dewey
Dwight Eisenhower
Dwight Eisenhower
Richard Nixon
Lyndon Johnson* - Dem
Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Ronald Reagan
Ronald Reagan
George Bush
George Bush
Robert Dole
George W. Bush

So, the last time the state's electoral votes went Democrat was 1964. Of the 46 elections, 13 times the Dems got the votes (28% of the time), and 32 times the Repubs (69% of the time). What's really interesting is the block of Dem voting between Polk and Buchanan. Something interesting must have been going on, but I don't know what off hand.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Stop bitchin' ya liberal weiner!!!















Hi kan.....:hello:
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Kevlar7R said:
I can't decide which group is more pathetic:

Football fans, or political fans.......



Hey, when someone worth a shit runs for a public office, call me.
You may want to look into cryogenics....it may be a while. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
spicersh said:
You may want to look into cryogenics....it may be a while. :thumb:

Yea, sure. Crystalized brain cells should work about as well as the brain cells of our current political leaders.




*disclaimer* I DO believe that our political system works. To quote a famous leader (but I can't remember who at the moment) "Democracy is a horrible form of government, untill you compare it to the other options."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
kanwisch said:
What's really interesting is the block of Dem voting between Polk and Buchanan. Something interesting must have been going on, but I don't know what off hand.
That far back, I think you'll find the democrats were actually pretty conservative.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Kevlar7R said:
Yea, sure. Crystalized brain cells should work about as well as the brain cells of our current political leaders.




*disclaimer* I DO believe that our political system works. To quote a famous leader (but I can't remember who at the moment) "Democracy is a horrible form of government, untill you compare it to the other options."
Pure democracy is a terrible form of government. I would try to explain, but I think this article does a fair enough job.

http://www.tax-freedom.com/ta19007.htm

I think more and more I like the Libertarian platform. It's a shame they will never have a chance, at least not in my lifetime.
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
spicersh said:
Pure democracy is a terrible form of government. I would try to explain, but I think this article does a fair enough job.

http://www.tax-freedom.com/ta19007.htm

I think more and more I like the Libertarian platform. It's a shame they will never have a chance, at least not in my lifetime.
Really? Wow, I wouldn't have taken you to be thinking that. I voted for them not to win, simply for their ideas to be assumed by the larger two.

Don't know if I posted this here already, but I'll repeat myself. Its an article discussing the USE of a vote as more than something you consider for the immediate election. After all, statistically you might as well NOT vote because you can't make any difference at all, at least in that particular election. A hard read because of its complexity, but not really long.
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
spicersh said:
Stop bitchin' ya liberal weiner!!!

Hi kan.....:hello:
:p

I suppose Libertarians have some liberal views, so yup, I have some liberal leanings. And some conservative ones. Like ying and yang, one is illogical without the other. Don't know about that weiner part though :finger: j/k

Another impetus to the research is the strong suggestion that Bayh, a strong Democrat from Indiana is a likely candidate for '08, and I wondered when the last Dem was given the IN votes. Turns out the last guy wasn't from IN, which was interesting (several were, though).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
kanwisch said:
After all, statistically you might as well NOT vote because you can't make any difference at all, at least in that particular election.
My head hurts. :( :D

Well, your vote NORMALLY doesn't really count unless neither candidate gets 3/5th of all electoral votes. Then they start counting individual popular votes. Just these last two elections were really close, so yeah, each vote counted.

But, what do I know? :huh:

And, no, I'm not a politics geek. Politics is SO not good for my health and well being. I just took 2 weeks out my life because of this post. :(
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DaDuck748 said:
My head hurts. :( :D

Well, your vote NORMALLY doesn't really count unless neither candidate gets 3/5th of all electoral votes. Then they start counting individual popular votes. Just these last two elections were really close, so yeah, each vote counted.

But, what do I know? :huh:

And, no, I'm not a politics geek. Politics is SO not good for my health and well being. I just took 2 weeks out my life because of this post. :(
Sorry about the pain inflicted. I was making a statistical comment, not a political one. A single vote has effectively zero chance of changing the outcome of the election in which it is cast. Obviously the only way a single vote makes any difference is if the election is decided by a single vote; consider those odds. I think that link I put up suggests this as well.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
kanwisch said:
:p

I suppose Libertarians have some liberal views, so yup, I have some liberal leanings. And some conservative ones. Like ying and yang, one is illogical without the other. Don't know about that weiner part though :finger: j/k

Another impetus to the research is the strong suggestion that Bayh, a strong Democrat from Indiana is a likely candidate for '08, and I wondered when the last Dem was given the IN votes. Turns out the last guy wasn't from IN, which was interesting (several were, though).
No reason for the weiner part. I probably got it from the jib-jab cartoon. :dunno:

I actually like Bayh. Spicerke and I were talking about him the other day. As of late there have been few Democrats I can stomach, but he is one of them. Depending on who the Repubs put up against him, I'd probably give him the nod.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
Re: Re: Indiana electoral votes

Dad said:
That far back, I think you'll find the democrats were actually pretty conservative.
Dad, do you think both parties are moving further and further to the left? I've heard others say it before, but since I wasn't around then I can't really compare. I believe they said something to the effect of the Republicans of today are the Democrats of the 50's, and the Democrats of today are just getting further and further left.

:dunno:
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not that you asked me, but I would agree with that statement. The conceived notion of smaller gov't is lost on both of the mainstream parties, and both are interested in forcing their view of Perfection on everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Indiana electoral votes

spicersh said:
Dad, do you think both parties are moving further and further to the left? I've heard others say it before, but since I wasn't around then I can't really compare. I believe they said something to the effect of the Republicans of today are the Democrats of the 50's, and the Democrats of today are just getting further and further left.

:dunno:
I haven't given that any real thought but off the top of my head, I'd say the EXACT opposite. Reagan era, Gingrich and company specifically, started the undoing of the New Deal. That was the set of pograms at the heart of the liberal agenda and style that gave us the middle class that we grew up in and have taken for granted. It's been being undone and was at the core of one of the most important and telling statements in the debates, that of the breakdown of incomes in this country being back to 1928 and 1929 statistics. I'll add that it's just a point on the curve that's continuing to spiral downwards. Rights to organize are a big part, SS is another.

Clinton brought us NAFTA and was willing to compromise the environmental and prevailing wage requirements to get it passed. I understand what he was after there but did not support it, ESPECIALLY as passed. There is NO WAY a democrat would have supported something like that before Reagan and in fact, not that many did. It was largely republicans who passed that and was why the regulations that would have put SOME semblance of fairness to US workers in the agreements were compromised away. On the other hand, the civil rights legislation of the early sixties was entirely a democratic idea and effort, but it wasn't passed without at least a measureable amount of support from republicans. That wouldn't happen today as a republican idea.

With a lot of work, I could put this together but the more I think about it, they've both gone to the RIGHT since Nixon.

A side note: Several years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Senator Bayh and the president of one of the major networks in the living room of the condo I was staying at during the "Renaissance Week-end" at Hilton Head Island. They stopped in to "get away" from the activities and meet some of the "in-laws" who were down there, not specifically me, but got to taste my world famous hoagies. Two nice and engaging men.

That was the same weekend my youngest son had to be stopped from retrieving President Clinton's wayward drive into the rough in front of our place. (He did that two years in a row, and played it out of there too.)

And no, I'm not that well connected but am one of seven kids and two very good parents. Some people find them interesting and a good bunch to hang with and let off some steam. Collectively, we get around but have little if any influence, and are content with that.;) They are an interesting and good bunch of people, though. Ah, screw it. I'm proud as hell of my family! Very good people! You'd like 'em, too.;) :D
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: Re: Re: Indiana electoral votes

Dad said:
They are an interesting and good bunch of people, though. Ah, screw it. I'm proud as hell of my family! Very good people! You'd like 'em, too.;) :D
The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, Dad :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts
Re: Re: Indiana electoral votes

Dad said:
That far back, I think you'll find the democrats were actually pretty conservative.
Yep, a complete turnaround.

There is a sign(more of a billboard) in one of the neighbor's yard here that says "I'm a Democrat without suffix, prefix or apology" by Sam Rayburn

If I'm not mitaken, Raburn was pretty much a conservative. ;)
 

·
Strength and Honor
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Re: Indiana electoral votes

RCjohn said:
Yep, a complete turnaround.

There is a sign(more of a billboard) in one of the neighbor's yard here that says "I'm a Democrat without suffix, prefix or apology" by Sam Rayburn

If I'm not mitaken, Raburn was pretty much a conservative. ;)
Thanks for the possible explanation, guys :thumb:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top