Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In competition to the Harley-Davidson 45 flat heads -------

------- a popular size in the late 20s.
Admit I never did question anyone as to why I had (or what was the reason for the Indian Sport Scout) an 1940 Indian Sport Scout 45 in '46 & same engine size as my '38 Harley 45 I had in '44.
Obviously it was not designed for the Army though I have seen shaft driven prototype Indian 45s with crank heading out to the rear & so pots at the sides. So they threw togeather anything that might meet the American Army demands ONLY Willis Jeep was the answer.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Remember there was also the Jr Scout & so a 30.5 cu inch V-twin.

Mind you I think that Jr. Scout was called a 30" due to being just a 30.5 cu in., V-twin while the what we call a 45 was 45 degree Indian was actually a 42" vs HD of 45". Oh yes a 45 is basically a 750cc while a 30.5 is a 500cc SO they were not built to compete against the British 500 OHV though in 1911 an Indian won the Senior on an V-twin with American rider Jack de Rossier.
One must remember the attempts by Indian to come out with flat opposed twin, to the famous in-line four that even Henderson bought from them.
I feel Indian stuck mainly with its V-twin & unfortunately hung onto the SV (bar an attempt with a vertical twin 440cc around '49) while HD went up to better performing OHV V-twins even though more costly to build.
Sorry, just babbling for those were in the days I started to ride & many of the bikes were mine or ones I saw. I was sort of like ones new to m/cing now & not knowing to much in late '45.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I thought you d be interested in this minibike marketed as Indian Papoose in US and Corgi in UK.
It was one of the first pocketbikes ;)
It was originally built specially for the WWII paratroopers. The minibikes were attached to parachutes and used for transportation by th eparatroopers when they reached the ground!

Aris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought this one would be easy!

The Scout was developed during WWII during the steel shortage. The Chiefs used so much extra metal for decorative purposes that they simply couldn't make them, so they introduced the Scout.

Maybe the first "naked" bike Aris? ;)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Hi Elo,

Well they were all 'Naked' back then I suppose ;)

As far as I know Indians were not wearing many clothes, just some feathers and a small leather patch to cover the sensitive areas :D
You could say they were really naked!!

Seriously now, your trivia wasn't answered which means it was really GOOD! Give us some more please!
I tried to find the answer, that's how I found this Indian pocketbike of the 40s, how did you like that?

Aris

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I liked it very much. You'll have to post it next week in my forum. (you can't right now because Stake and I have a contest going to see who can have the least amount of posts in a 7 day period! ;) I'm winning!)

I'll have to watch more Discovery Channel and History Channel specials to get more trivia! ;) :D Actually, that one came from one of the Indian salesmen out here. My dad was looking into buying a cruiser and I wanted to know the difference between the two bikes. Everything is the same except for the bodywork. Same motor, tranny, everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts