Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Geoff was right in putting his bike away for the season & I had high hopes of some warmer days in October only it was COLD like it is now around middle of November.

The two bikes sat there fully tanked up & ready to go in middle of Sept. Still to-day I poured in the fuel stabalizer, fired up the engine of each bike which were a bit reluctant as they had sat since around mid-September, but they did fire up then I let them warm up properly & took them on a 20 Klick ride to get the above mix into the bikes carbs & fuel injection systems.

Had lowered the tyre pressure a bit as the pavement had no snow on it, but close to being icy as they were wet & temp well into freezing.

If the roads had not been like above I would have gone out for 2-3 hr spin, but no the bikes are into hibernation & THAT hurt due to a miserable Autumn bar the 1/2 month of September & right through October> Not a happy m/cist I must admit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We had a rare, cool but beautiful day here today. Hubby & I took advantage & stayed out for 4 hours. It may well be the last.... Snow is called for tomorrow....:mad: :crying:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Smitty,

Why don't you be a snowbird and migrate south during the winter months? That way you can ride your bike and eat it too! (err... well, not literally, but you know what I mean ;) )

Enjoy the snow! :D

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Wow, Smitty, I was half expecting to read about an accident based entirely on the post heading!

We had several days of warm weather, truly out of the ordinary, but its damned cold now, and snow's predicted for today. I hear and understand the issues :crying:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Triumph_S4 said:
gotta love sunny San Diego...
no you don't :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i hear ya smitty. i feel for ya smitty. i share your pain.:crying: :crying: :crying:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
*puts second coat of wax on snowboard*

Next day thats not too shitty i'm gonna put mine away too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hear ya on that one. I recently got a K&N air filter and D&D slipon but it's been too cold so I never bothered to install them. I will be making that my weekend project though. I might even go as far as preparing it to be put away for the winter. Aside from fuel stabilizer and lowering tire pressure, can anyone tell me what else should be done?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I lowered the try pressure for the short run like form 36pos down to 32 for that chance of a bit better traction (due to cold weather, cold pavement, & even some icy spots) as I was going max of 15 or 20 Klicks & not faster then 70KPH. When back & about to be put away I upped the tyres to normal.

A bit later on I will remove both batteries & take them into a part of the house that is around 55 to 60F ALONG with a Battery Tender for the rest of the season. Said cooler room is also so my gun powders will not drop in quality or reloads. Must be something like 40 lbs of powder in there amongst different types.

That is it. Come Spring I simply check the batteries, pop them back into the bike, hook them up, check tyre pressures, hit the starter buttons & once wamed up I am back to riding again.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry TYPO error for "I lowered the try pressure--" should read "I lowered the TYRE pressure---".
--

·
Registered
74 Posts
I really feel sorry for those of you that live someplace that prohibits you from riding year around, I don't know if I could stand it. SO Smitty your welcome to come out to the Monterey Peninsula I also have a spare bedroom and we could hit the twisties around here and there are some good ones.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
We have already had two days of snow in the Puget Sound area, and we are getting lots in the Mountains, which suits me just fine. Time to break out the skis and tear up the slopes!

It is not so bad living in a place that keeps you from riding year round if you have other activities you love to do during that time. I have to finish restoring a car this winter and I personally want lots of snow for skiing. If you live where there are no ski areas, I feel sorry for you. Nothing like downhill skiing or snow boarding.

And November is oyster madness. Best selection of oysters to eat (raw, of course).

My bikes, I have a freshly enlarged, ported and valved engine to install in one bike, and then I have to ride it even if the weather is sucky, to seat the rings. Plenty to do this winter. International Bike Show next weekend!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some yrs back (like in 50s & 60s) I to would have welcomed the change for I lived in Banff, Alberta Cdn, part owner of a sport shop so skiing was $$MONEY$$ time & I was an avid skier. Only now I am a 73 yr old man that can only look forward to riding, h/gun shooting/reloading, & three days a week in the gym WHICH is not much compared to my past life in 20s & 30s.
Unfortunately I cannot wait till the rest of you are into your 70s & wondering how life is. LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hello Smitty

HIYA Smitty just to let you know I finally took that job in Prince Rupert, and I am still riding but it's a bit boring like riding in a box because if you get out of town it is snow and ice. SO I guess my bike is going to be furnature in my appartment for a few months until winter passes. I might try to take the ferry to Vancouver Island before I put it away but I think thats a dream...

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Anytime I hear about places like Prince Rupert, it stirs emotions of some of my favorite touring rides. That was the southern end of my ferry trip back from Skagway Alaska in the mid '80's. Rode east to Jasper then south to Banff and eventually to Calgary where my wife caught a plane back home. I loved the Jasper/Banff region enough that I've been back twice and will do it again. That is some of the prettiest scenery I have experienced in my travels anywhere in North America. Just had to put that out there.:)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
maDDtraPPer: So you made the move & that is teriffic. You have some interesting roads to cover from where you are.

Dad I do agree with you as I use to ride into that terrain in the older gravel roads (like from Lake Louise to Jasper with its paved small town road & back to gravel again till 55 miles west of Edmonton) time from '47 till '51 & then moved into Banff from '54 till '63. LOVED it & besides the good skiing I was a keen mountaineer from '48 till I left in '63. Man those roads have improved so much since I left inn '63.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its been in the high 30s to low 40s. when I wake up at 4:30 AM.
But its been nice when I get home at 2:30 PM.
I have put on the Joe Rocket suit a few mornings, but mostly I'm taking my Cherokee too work and ridding after I get off work.
Phoenix is GREAT in the winter, now if the snowbirds would stay away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts