Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the most important thing I've learned in my experiance, which hasnt been much, is that you dont need to look at your hands, the brakes arent going anywhere....unless your in a shitload of trouble, and by the time they aren't there anymore youve got more important things to worry about!! Also, dont change gears in a corner, Funksoul taught me this for use in my first cage, which was a manual, and it applies on a bike too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HEY, I guess I learned how to start a new thread!!! You DO learn alot through your mistakes!! Sorry

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Re: Re: important things Ive learned

748 abuser said:

I'm guessing neither one of you are very good on the track?
I was wondering the same thing...I've changed gears in a corner without any problems

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I could see potential problems if you downshift too much in the middle of a corner but I upshift all the time coming out of a curve...

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I've learned that women who are absolutely out of their minds are naturally attracted to me and that I have no problem with that :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RedNinja and 748, if you are in a turn and change gears you unsettle the bike/or car, whichever applies, and this CAN cause problems....so some believe its best not to gear up/down in a turn.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I've sometimes wanted to change my underwear in a corner but never had the nerve to try it. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
squirerider said:
RedNinja and 748, if you are in a turn and change gears you unsettle the bike/or car, whichever applies, and this CAN cause problems....so some believe its best not to gear up/down in a turn.
And this is coming from a guy who just recently stopped looking at his hands. ;)

Just messin' with ya, bud. But really, as long as you shift smoothly, shifting in a corner is no problem.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
You should virtually never have to shift in a corner. Pick the right gear going in. At the exit, that can be another story, but if you're really hanging it out, shifting in the middle is trouble. Plus, you're likely to have trouble getting your foot under the shifter at extreme lean angles. I know some reverse their shift pattern for that purpose, but a number of really fast guys are no longer doing that. Anecdotaly, somebody may have a story about a turn somewhere, maybe a high speed sweeper with increasing radius, but on average, don't do it. On the other hand, at slower speeds it can be done all day.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Bubba, you will learn to be carefull how you phrase stuff.
Dad, thanks, exactly what squire meant to say (at least what he was taught). Sometimes you have to, and sometimes it is safe, but why not select the proper gear before you enter the turn?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dad said:
I've sometimes wanted to change my underwear in a corner but never had the nerve to try it. :D
Underwear? What underwear??? You wear underwear???

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Nappyboy said:

is that really a word?
Absatively, posolutely.... but it's two L's, "anecdotally". Sorry for the spelling error.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Once you can change gear very smoothly you shouldn't have a problem changing gears in corners (apart from if there is not enough room for your foot between the gear shift lever and the ground :D). I wouldn't recommend that newbie riders try doing it straight out of the can though - especially if you are learning to ride on a bigger bike.
I really can't think why you would want to change down in a corner - all that should be done before you arrive!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts