Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have some important news to make you aware of. I first posted a couple of days ago in the mod forum about this because I wanted to allow the staff time to be aware of this before going public.

Recently we reached an agreement with Mike D. to assume the daily support and admin operations for the Sport Bike World community and bring it into the Motorcycle.com network of online communities!

My name is Jim Ducharme and I’m the community director with Motorcycle.com -- I will be working closely with you and the leaders to build on the rich history of this community.

The basic membership with the access to information you've had in the past is not going to change with this upgrade. You will be getting your own separate and distinct domain back and you'll have your own home page with news from Motorcycle.com and a *updated* look! Also, we will add (well supported) contests such as Bike of the Month!

I’ll be here to answer your questions today. We’ll post information on the new features you will be seeing as well after the upgrade.

Starting tonight at 12AM EST, we will begin upgrading the site to the latest version of VB. Because of the size of the site and the older version of VB now being used, this work may take most of Tuesday to complete. We will do our best to make any interruption as brief as possible. The upgraded Vbulletin version will bring with it a number of news features and functionality! The current VB version you are using here is quite dated and I’m sure you will find new features such as Multi-quote and other AJAX based (Web 2.0) features to be a welcome change! Not too mention more stability in the updated platform.

Now let me address a few general questions which I’m sure you are wondering about…

Who are we?

Motorcycle.com: we manage a number of motorcycle communities offering enthusiasts content and resources/information to help them get the most out of their riding experience.

What are your intentions?

Provide the resources required to have a broader reach and attract more knowledgeable hard core enthusiasts to contribute and build this community. As well as offer even more resources to the community via Motorcycle.com. And develop a positive flow of information to SBW, ie new vendors hence better pricing, access to manufacturers and their research and engineers etc. -- making more technical resources available to you in order to address requests/issues regarding their product and offer opportunities with our vendors for more group buys.

What do you get in return?

We hope to grow this community and in return grow the network of Motorcycle.com communities which we support.

Will the leadership change?

We intend to keep the same leadership. Day-to-day issues are still handled by mods.

Are you going increase censorship or change the rules or "tone" of the moderation?

We don't plan to alter how the community is moderated.

I hate ads!

To grow and support this community we need to generate revenue. Mike felt that the community had reached a threshold and they didn't have the resources to provide for ongoing support and growth.

If you can not stand the ads then you have the option to become a premium member - premium members see much fewer ads and they can disable the left side bar ads as well.

We are a business, if we can support and grow this community while at the same time generating money as well, that’s a win-win for us and the community.

I’m looking forward to hearing your feedback and working with you to support and grow such as great community!

Jim

·
Registered
658 Posts
Beautiful. The site admin can't even manage to remove spam from his own thread.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
I deleted them, been a while since I have been on here, but took care of them. How have you been mkeeney?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good to see you Jester! I hate to complain, but this site used to be the best on the web of any site I visited. There were lots of intelligent and funny people on here and there was always something new. Since the site was sold the traffic consists of 99% spam and sponsor posts. I keep logging on every week or two hoping there will be a familiar name or an interesting new member. I guess I just miss the good old days. Are you still riding the Interceptor?

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
mkeeney, not as much as I used to ride. My girl rides a Ninja 250, or rather did, both are under bike covers in the back yard for now though. How you been?

·
Registered
57 Posts
we all do

damn has it been more than 8 years since this place and esport started going down the drain? (im getting old)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts