Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys,
im looking to buy a 600cc honda cbr. i love them. any other recommendations other than a cbr for a starter?

can i get a decent bike for under 3gs?

what is the threshold for a used bike? will 3000 get me al ot lot lot further as to 2500? or even 3300?

how many miles is reasonable for that price?

should i go through classifieds or a dealer?

i know a guy selling a 99 honda f4 cbrit needs forks and triples? not sure what they are. please help

G

·
illmaticnyc said:
hello guys,
im looking to buy a 600cc honda cbr. i love them. any other recommendations other than a cbr for a starter?

can i get a decent bike for under 3gs?

what is the threshold for a used bike? will 3000 get me al ot lot lot further as to 2500? or even 3300?

how many miles is reasonable for that price?

should i go through classifieds or a dealer?

i know a guy selling a 99 honda f4 cbrit needs forks and triples? not sure what they are. please help
Sup BRO!,

Ex500(Ninja500R), Fzr600, Yzf600R(NOT R6!),Ninja 600R,Ninja zx6,Suz gs500,Suz SV650,kaw zr7.

Yes you can get a decent bike for 3g's

"what is the threshold for a used bike? will 3000 get me al ot lot lot further as to 2500? or even 3300?"

Depends on the bike bro!

"how many miles is reasonable for that price?
should i go through classifieds or a dealer?"

If you go to a dealer, They usually inspect the bikes they sell, So you should not get ripped off to much. For a better deal go private, But you have to know what to llok for !!!

"i know a guy selling a 99 honda f4 cbrit needs forks and triples? not sure what they are. please help"

Forget it! He smashed it, Forget it! .. The frame could be bent.

·
Registered
331 Posts
obviously if it needs forks and triples it has been crashed. A used set of bodywork will cost you around $1000. You will need two fork tubes ($160/piece new) + upper and lower triple trees (around $300). Just make sure you take it to a professional to determine if the frame is bent or cracked. Look closely at the frame for signs of fatigue(stresss marks or chipped paint). I hope this helps. And welcome to the world of speed and SBW. :D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i agree with adam, forks (the tubes that hold the front wheel on and are the front suspension) and triples (the clamps that hold the forks to the steering head) are pricey and rebuilding a streetbike for street use is a bad idea.

if i were new and know what i now know about bikes, i'd look for a honda hawk650 or an ex500 or any of the other awesome little twins that are available to to a new buyer. best part is they are way under 3000. spend the rest on a good gear. also cheap, interceptor 550, gpz550, kz550 (the later can be had for under 1500).

if you're over 200lbs, i'd look into the 600. but an f2 will be more than 3000 and an f3 over 4000. a hurricane (f1) is about all you'd find in that price range and even then you'll need to look hard for a good one.

good luck. also look into the msf course, i don't have the address, anyone?

also, read this small bikes rule

[Edited by cbrf2boy on 10-25-2000 at 10:08 AM]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like I said in the new members forum my wife and I are back after decades of being away. She bought the Ninja 500 and I'm a fairly big guy over 6" 195lbs. When I get on it I have a blast. It's light, quick, but not supersonic, handles great and is forgiving of silly mistakes. Easy to maintain too. It's been around quite a while so you can find decent used ones for reasonable $$'s.
Take a MSF class, go to the http://www.MSF.org website they have listings and phone #'s for the whole country. Look around a lot, use the winter to read and investigate. http://www.motorcycleworld.com has a listing of bike shows that are going around the country this fall and winter. If there is one coming near you go and sit on as many bikes as you can and ask questions. All the major manufacturers are there.
Anyone who is selling a crashed bike to someone to use as a first bike is just 'some guy' and no friend.

Keats

·
Registered
873 Posts
AWESOME

GREAT ARTICLE!

I agree with everything the author says. As a matter of fact, ive stated a few times since the ZX6E went out of commision, that i didnt like that bike.

The bike i loved, was one with, had a "relationship" with, was my 1991 Ninja 600R. Far from a "competent" sport bike by todays standards, when i rode that bike hard it talked to me. It whispered little things into my ear, letting me know it could go on, or letting me know i better wake up and back it off a bit. It was forgiving beyond compare, but never fooled me into a false sense of competency. I road WAY faster, WAY harder on the 600R than i ever had on the newer, more capable ZX6E. It was rider awareness-vs-machine ability.

The little "old" 600R was the bike i learned everything about sport riding on and when i got the '95 ZX6E i expected the same. I was wrong. The more powerful, better handling, newer technology in the 6E made no difference whatsoever in my enjoyment. If anything, i was a less than satisfied rider on the newer bike.

When all is said and done, the author of the article is right.

I just hope my next bike can give me what ive been missing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll second the suggestion the article gives on taking a class. I've been riding for 20 years and have put more than 200,000 miles on street bikes. I took a Keith Code class at the Streets of Willow springs last weekend, and learned something in the first lecture before we even hit the track. My laps times at the end of the day were 12 seconds under my morning lap times, and I was neither working hard nor trying to go fast - I was practicing the techniques described in the class sessions. I'm taking a Reg Pridmore class at the same venue next week.

Before you straddle a bike you need to get a copy of "A Twist of the Wrist II" and memorize it. And start small. The CBR600s are great bikes, but a 150 mph bike is not for beginners.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i love that article on "making a case for small bikes". it's one of the best i've seen. jay mcdaniel is a really wise rider/writer. like an internet peter egan.

G

·
Re: AWESOME

GreenNinja said:
GREAT ARTICLE!

I agree with everything the author says. As a matter of fact, ive stated a few times since the ZX6E went out of commision, that i didnt like that bike.

The bike i loved, was one with, had a "relationship" with, was my 1991 Ninja 600R. Far from a "competent" sport bike by todays standards, when i rode that bike hard it talked to me. It whispered little things into my ear, letting me know it could go on, or letting me know i better wake up and back it off a bit. It was forgiving beyond compare, but never fooled me into a false sense of competency. I road WAY faster, WAY harder on the 600R than i ever had on the newer, more capable ZX6E. It was rider awareness-vs-machine ability.

The little "old" 600R was the bike i learned everything about sport riding on and when i got the '95 ZX6E i expected the same. I was wrong. The more powerful, better handling, newer technology in the 6E made no difference whatsoever in my enjoyment. If anything, i was a less than satisfied rider on the newer bike.

When all is said and done, the author of the article is right.

I just hope my next bike can give me what ive been missing.

Wow, Hold on while I get a tissue .... Ok. Greeny It just so happens that I have a 600R for sale!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
aww shucks darn,

toolate!

And besides, i told myself, after the ZX6E experience, i like "brand new" bikes better than old mysterious used ones. I like to know EVERYTHING about my ride, and being the original owner is a very comforting feeling.

[Edited by GreenNinja on 10-25-2000 at 02:13 PM]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yes, if you ever meet Squidwannabe in person, throw a pie in his face.

G

·
Re: yo guys...

illmaticnyc said:
you guys are really great. any other suggestions? you guys are helping out a lot

Yes, Learn to wheelie the day you get your bike... No .. No , The very first time you ride !! ;) Kidding

·
Registered
52 Posts
Keep reading

Newer riders may want to read the "Final Analysis" part of the site. Pilots read about mishaps to help us be ready for it when it happens. The stories are accident analysis's. One guy had 30 years or so of racing experience when he went in.

Good information in my opinion,
Xert

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Re: Keep reading

xert said:
Newer riders may want to read the "Final Analysis" part of the site.
Bro, what are you talking about? Did I miss something, or do we have a hiidden forum called "Final Analysis"? Help me out here, 'cause I'm kinda interested in that section myself. Thanks

G

·
Ill, you're getting great advice in this thread. You might also want to check out my thread in the "How Do I" forum called "How to buy a used bike". Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you guys are really awesome and helpful, hope youguy sdont mind if i keep coming back. any tips and pointers would be useful too. i guess you guys will see me progressively grow. i was on a honda forum for import tuning. if you guys need any help as to cars, let me know. thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what is a fairing by the way?

do you guys even recommend a cbr?

should i just buy from a dealer?

i want a respectable, good, safe, nice bike

G

·
illmaticnyc said:
what is a fairing by the way?

do you guys even recommend a cbr?

should i just buy from a dealer?

i want a respectable, good, safe, nice bike

It is the plastic that surrounds your bike ... Ya know the stuff that looks cool!!!

A Cbr is a good bike, What kind of riding will you be doing ? An ex500 Is probably a better starter .. Just in case you wipe out you wont have as much EXPENSIVE PLASTIC to replace... The ex500 is also cheap to insure, is fun .. Popular ... I highly recommend that bike for it's all round good qualities.

You can come back anytime! Who said you had to leave ?? ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts