Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bud of mine came to town this weekend and along with him brough his cbr1000rr:D I've only been riding my ninja for a couple of months now. And reading all the posts here have scared the living shit out of me when it comes to litre bike. haha But i just had to see what it was all about, so after begging him a good half hour i finally convinced him to let me ride his bike around. I've gotta say it feels a lot more smooth and stable than my ninja. As long as you keep it in lower rpms and shift early the things a kitten. So i'm wondering how many more hours i've gotta put in on my ninja before i can move up to a more powerful bike.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that i hate riding my ex500. But it's like this bike is so old that it's more twitchy into corners then a new supersport. I maybe the frame is bent up or something, the engine is all jerky too. It's also the lack of "bling" that makes me want to look into a 600 ss. But insuring a 600 is a totally different story all together. I'm already paying almot 2000 a year for insurance. Don't want to know what i'd cost to jump to a supersport.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's self control. I'm the type who'll make my 600 scream whenever I see an open space to accelerate. Same with 1000, the gremlin on back of my head will egg me on to twist the throttle faster and see what happens. It's not the speed, but the fun and curiousity of accelerating. But with that 1000, I know I might up on my back.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I agree with Z. Its all about self control. I started on a 750, against everyones suggestions, but I took it really easy and did alright. I'm not saying go out and get a bigger bike, but Im also not saying you couldn't do it. Why are you paying $2000 for insurance? Do you have full converage or something?!?! If you jump up a few CC's dont go full insurance unless you buy a brand new bike. I only have liability which is all that FL law requires. It costs me $250 for the year.

If your interested in a higher CC bike take your friend for a ride on your 500, or have him follow you on his 1000, and see what he thinks. Anouther route is to take an objective observation of your progression thus far and see if you think you are ready for it. Most people tend to be their own worst critic. I know I am. Your the final and only person that you need to convince when your ready for a new bike, everyone else can just offer opinions.

Sepias

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all good advice, I've been blinded by the bikes appeal. lol As for the insurance i live up in canada, the insurance premiums here are just insane. I'm only paying lyability on my old ex500 no comp. and i'm paying that much. Some guys i know with 1000 cc bikes have paid 10,000 a year. I think that's gonna be the deciding factor for what i end up riding. For now i'll just stick to the ninja and maybe a couple of seasons from now i'll be able to affoard something worth waxing. lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
i dont know anything but i would say longer than a few months considering if you plan on riding for a long time there will always be time to grow and get bigger bikes.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi mike_drz:

Paying a total of $10,000 per year in insurance premiums is outrageous! Delay getting a larger motorcycle if simply to deny these vile bloodsuckers any additional revenue. What a nightmare you've described.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks i'm on that board too, yeah there's been a lot of changes lately, for instance a lot of companies are now regarding the ex500 as a supersport. Also a lot of the main compainies are no longer accept new sportsbike clients to any longer. Riders plus won't even insure you unless you're 25 or over. I know a few friends that still have decent insurance only because their company would insure them because they already had all their other insurance with them. The days of cheap insurance for bikes here is gone. Yes blue jays i agree, it is an outrage, esp. considering we can only ride a couple months out of the year here anyway. I have a clean record, and i'm 23 years old. Have over 5 years driving experience all togeter and have an a glass GM2 licence. I called around and this is the cheapest i was quoted, others wanted 3000 or more.:mad:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Alot of the advice on these forums that has been around for years and has the effect of 'scaring' you about a 1000 is there for a reason, it's alot of experience of people who've been there, wadded it, and lived to talk about the experience. It's also completely dead on accurate about it being mostly self control. My first bike was a cbr 900rr, against the advice of these forums and my better judgement, I never had a major wreck on it (it was my first bike, I was still learning, I didn't yank on it much, the only accident I had on it at any speed was a car that pushed me into sand at about 35mph, I was uninjured) I did manage to drop it in parking lots, girls driveways, front yards, garages, and anywhere that I came to a stop, I probably dropped it at least once. Anyway, I thought I was doing good on it, I respected it's power and feared it for what it could do to me, when I sold the 900, I got a zx7r, it wasn't as fast, but was built like a tank, I took that bike to deal's gap, I had a great time, I had MORE fun on the zx7 than on the 900, it was great fun until a 16 yr girl pulled out in front of me, and I ate pavement. Directly after I healed, I got a 2001 f4i, the smallest of the bikes I'd had, and you know what? I had the most fun, I could wind it out up to an indicated 170+ on the interstate, and I was more confident with it in turns than anything else I've ever ridden, it was the bike I got comfortable with leaning on (to the point I tore the knees out of a pair of jeans, and some of my skin, on accident from leaning too far on a few twisties), it was the bike I learned how to ride wheelies on, etc. Why? I really think it's because if you take away the element of the sheer neckbreaking speed of the liter's, you get to focus your anxiety about being injured into learning how to actually ride.

That was a long winded post to say, don't worry too much about moving up to a liter yet, if you're comfortable with your 500 enough that you're bored on it, get a new 600, you'll be suprised how powerful they are, and how happy they'll make you, and if you make the jump to a liter, I promise you'll spend half your time worrying about it's power and/or hurting it's paint. Either way, good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
I agree with Z. Its all about self control. I started on a 750, against everyones suggestions, but I took it really easy and did alright. I'm not saying go out and get a bigger bike, but Im also not saying you couldn't do it. Why are you paying $2000 for insurance? Do you have full converage or something?!?! If you jump up a few CC's dont go full insurance unless you buy a brand new bike. I only have liability which is all that FL law requires. It costs me $250 for the year.

Sepias
I hate to point this out, but you are wrong about the FL law. FL law actually states that you do not have to have insurance on a motorcycle AT ALL!!! I wouldn't recommend it, but it is true!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
mike_drz said:
Thanks i'm on that board too, yeah there's been a lot of changes lately, for instance a lot of companies are now regarding the ex500 as a supersport. Also a lot of the main compainies are no longer accept new sportsbike clients to any longer. Riders plus won't even insure you unless you're 25 or over. I know a few friends that still have decent insurance only because their company would insure them because they already had all their other insurance with them. The days of cheap insurance for bikes here is gone. Yes blue jays i agree, it is an outrage, esp. considering we can only ride a couple months out of the year here anyway. I have a clean record, and i'm 23 years old. Have over 5 years driving experience all togeter and have an a glass GM2 licence. I called around and this is the cheapest i was quoted, others wanted 3000 or more.:mad:
That's Brutal!! Sorry Man. Did you try State Farm? That's who I'm with.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called up statefarm aswell, they gave a decent quote a little more then i'm paying right now, so this ones still cheaper. Plus statefarm won't give you their best rate unless you switch over your car insurance to them aswell, seeing as i don't have a car anymore... haha

And as for the post about the litre bikes, yea it's true that they deserve a lot of respect and the scare stories are there for a reason, because they've happend. I wasn't thinking about getting a litre bike, i was thinking more along the lines of 600 ss if anything. What you say about small bikes being fun is true too. However i get sick of reving so high and going up and down the gear box like there's no tomorrow. You're right i know i haven't taken even my ninja 500 anywhere nears it's full potential, but i'd also feeling safer on a bigger bike when in traffic without being thrown around by the wind on the hiway and all.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
MikeMirage1 said:
I hate to point this out, but you are wrong about the FL law. FL law actually states that you do not have to have insurance on a motorcycle AT ALL!!! I wouldn't recommend it, but it is true!!!
May be where you reside, but full coverage isn't necessary here (South Florida) and may be where Sepias lives. Hell, I was caught without insurance, I only had license and registration of the bike. The cop didn't ask for insurance, I got a ticket for my violation, but no penalty for lack of insurance. It's the same state that doesn't enforce helmet law, so no surprise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
May be where you reside, but full coverage isn't necessary here (South Florida) and may be where Sepias lives. Hell, I was caught without insurance, I only had license and registration of the bike. The cop didn't ask for insurance, I got a ticket for my violation, but no penalty for lack of insurance. It's the same state that doesn't enforce helmet law, so no surprise.
Like I just said florida law states that you need no insurance what so ever on your motorcycle. You got no ticket for the insurance because it isn't required. As for the helmet law, to my knowledge it is enforced, except that being 21 means you don't need to wear a helmet. This is the only time that you need insurance though. Florida says you need to have $10,000 medical insurance if you don't wear a helmet. I guess that is what you mean they don't enforce.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
MikeMirage1 said:
Every cop that has pulled me over on my bike has asked for M/C lisense, registration, and insurance. I've been told by many people that liability is manditory, but nothing else. Like Z said, it might just be a hillsborough county law.

Sepias

1 - 20 of 27 Posts