Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this short, but it brings me great pain.

The story: We took a day trip to Cedar point, this was on the way back, mile marker 9 on Northbound I-75

hit a diag crack, sent into unrecoverable tank slapper. According to the trail in the wet grass, i saved it, but lost it in the grass.

wearing my coat, underarmor, Race gloves, race boots, jeans, vemar helmet.

Only have bruises on my hip, a little on my kneeds, and some scratches on my other hip.

by the time I stopped rolling (and landed on my feet) I began hating michigan, but guys... I lived through this one, and I was going 80. I'm a living testiment to gear, so please take that as a warning or what have you, michigan roads suck, along with its cagers, so PLEASE, dress for the crash, not for the ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GixxerChris said:
glad to hear you are ok....sorry about the bike. is it all just cosmetic damage?
I havent had the time to look closely at the bike and discloth it, but I'm going to say no.

the left fork looks like it folded a good few mm..

the subframe looks traight from the rear, but i dont know about vert.

Look at the exhaust..

and teh battery and computer/fuses used to be under the seat, if you can look athte side profile, you'll see they're jacke.d I'm not sure if they moved, or if EVERYTHIGN else moved, but....

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
237 Posts
like i said earlier man I'm just glad you made it out in one piece... you're pretty lucky... take what you've learned, get back in the saddle and go from there!

·
Registered
367 Posts
holy sh*t man...glad the gear did its job. I think something like that would be enough to scare me off a bike for a while...or make me more excited about owning a dirtbike heh.

Totally sucks to see this but again, I'm glad you're alright.

If it makes you feel any better, I was on my way back from BC after moving Jonathan in, and realized at about 696 and Mound that I left my keys sitting on his kitchen counter :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok, and also very glad you were geared up properly.:thumb:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm awfully glad to hear that you came out ok. I know we love our bikes, but if you can walk away from an 80 mile an hour crash.. and the only thing that didn't survive was the bike.. it was a good day.

Hope the bike can get fixed up right! :) But still glad to see YOU are good. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
damn man...glad to hear youre ok....its hard to dress for the crash in this hot weather but with stories like this...it makes it a little easier ....sweat wipes of..roadrash doesnt

·
Registered
322 Posts
RSWarrior said:
damn man...glad to hear youre ok....its hard to dress for the crash in this hot weather but with stories like this...it makes it a little easier ....sweat wipes of..roadrash doesnt
I saw someone else say that on another board while talking about a nasty wreck they had. Some dummy ran a red light and he t-boned the truck. Had his gear on and still got beat up pretty bad, but coulda been ALOT worse...

So I always say the same thing. People ask me, (even my girlfriend) "Doesnt that stuff get hot? Why wear it? Youll just sweat balls the whole way..."

"Sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt"

Glad your ok man. Take a break, count your blessings, and go from there.

May I ask, a diagonal (sp?) crack in the road threw you off? Was it a big crack in the road? I know just to be safe if I see something like that, Ill slow it down and put the bike upright and pull the clutch as to coast over it, just in case. Did it make you slide? Were you in a turn? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I try to learn something when these terrible mishaps take place...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jay22 said:
May I ask, a diagonal (sp?) crack in the road threw you off? Was it a big crack in the road? I know just to be safe if I see something like that, Ill slow it down and put the bike upright and pull the clutch as to coast over it, just in case. Did it make you slide? Were you in a turn? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I try to learn something when these terrible mishaps take place...
No problem man, please, I urge any of you to ask questions, I dont want anyone to have to ever experience that in their lives...

Imagine you're in the right lane. coming out and 1/2 the width of the lane is this triangle, with its base along the white line that comes out into the lane. Its cracked, and its sunk in about... eh. about 7 inches. When you enter it, you go down about 4, then come back about 7 because it crincled from all the traffic over it. that was going from my left to my forward right.. the back side of the trangle.

There may have been some rider error on my part, but nothing that we all havent experienced. I had taken a day trip to Cedar point, so I was a little tired, even though I took an hour nap in the line of the raptor because they shut it down due to rain that never showed up... it was 11:15 at night, and it was raining, none of those things helped, but NONE of them caused the accident either.

this was about inbetween mile marker 9 and 10, it looks extremely insignificant when or if you go by it, but as you can tell, it can do some damage. I was going straight... what else.

it wasnt really something you could see and think to avoid, it just looked like another crack, and since I got off the toll road in ohio, I got a sort of taken forgranted feeling and felt like all the roads thus far sucked. as soon as I hit it, i got 1 flick to the right that hit the tab, and from that point, it was out of control.

Note: it was a pretty intense fall, so i dont remember too much of it, but i see from the track there's a good chance I saved it. it was just that if I had another lane or 2, i woulld have been able to ride it out. then again, if I hadn't, I wouldnt have wanted to land on the cement in the first place.

I hope that helps, and if anyone else wants more info, or any specific pictures. please ask. I didnt get a picture of teh crack, it was too far from where we parked, but I got pictures of where the ibke ended its hurling, where i stopped, the straight mark into the grass, the place where it dug in, and the place after where it caught or something and began tumbling.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ouch! Sounds more like a friggin crater! Sounds like you came out about as good as anyone would have. Give yourself a pat on the back for not being in intensive care!

Yeah man, id like to see any pics ya got, just cause im curious.:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright here are some more pictures

This is the most interesting one.

you can i was in an intense tank slapper because i have 4 different lines which the tire was contacting on the cement before i went off... imagine it hopping back and forth like that... look at the last on eon the right, thats wher eit hit before i bounced left and lost it.

My buddy behind me told me my swingarm spool hit... how fucking crazy is that?

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is where the bike went off in the grass. I detached off of it just before that bush, and it caught. you can see the brush marks just sotp, then start to the left of that bush.

i pulled the truck it becuase it was too fucking high to load with the ramps I had

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts