Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a nice riding jacket. I have not decided whether I want someting leather or condura yet but here is what I do want. I would like it to be cool enough for the hot summer here in New Orleans which I guess means fully vented if its Condura. (By the way, Is Condura cooler than leather?) I also would like it to be colorful but no cheesy like a race jacket prints. I also want it to be padded in the elbows and shoulders for protection. I just want a nice, cool, colorful(anything but simple black) jacket that I can use mainly for weekend excursions. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I have set my price limit at $300 but I would like to get one for around $200. Does anyone want to offer any suggestions? Thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
167 Posts
Take it from someone who owns both a partially perforated leather jacket and a vented Cordura jacket and lives in a climate almost as hot and humid as yours: go with the Cordura. Actually, I only wear my leather jacket when I'm riding in the states. Here in Puerto Rico, I use my Aerostich. It doubles as my rainsuit, too, with good armor protection no rainsuit has.

My Aerostich Darien meets all your requirements except price. It's above $300 without the fleece liner (which you probably don't need and I didn't buy, either). Tour Master, Motoport, Joe Rocket and others make the kind of jacket you're looking for. Which one is best, maybe others can say. I don't have any experience with them.

Aerostich says in their ads that Cordura is cooler in hot weather and warmer in cool weather, and I believe it, based on my experience. It's also a lot more pleasant if you're caught out a rain storm.

------------------

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
Joe,
I just bought a Suzuki Tech jacket, around $200 and used it on a 5000 mile trip 2 weeks ago.. It is waterproof (mostly) with removable plastic inserts for shoulders, elbows, forearms and full sleeved removable thermal liner (which allows 50 degree riding).
It did just fine in 95 degree heat, 90% humidity as long as you're moving. In town, I think most jackets can't be worn much above 80 degrees.
I don't know if this works for you. The jacket is made by SRS, who might have something else you like. Joe Rocket also looked good to me and would have bought one except they were out of stock. Tourmaster makes a sport jacket (black only) for $100.

[This message has been edited by Keith B (edited July 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a Fieldsheer Cordura Jacket. Its a great jacket and fairly cool but in stop and go traffic it gets a little warm.

------------------
Ride the Pace,
JD

P

·
0 Posts
I don't know about putting much weight in Keith's suggestions when it comes to anything related to comfort. A guy that tours like he does on a GSXR750 has got to have a pain threshhold previously unknown to the human race. :D

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bought a pilot jacket. You know, the ones advertised on this site. I forget what I paid for it, but it is leather. It is vented, not as cool as if it were perforated, but air flows through it nicely. I love everything about the jacket. Just click on the ad to take you to their site where you can order it as well.

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like those Suzuki tech jackets. I am going to look around a little before deciding though. Others I like are the 2 jackets by Spyke on the kneedraggers.com site. I also like then Hein Gericke on the motorcycle-superstore site. Im still on the lookout though but I think I am going to go with something Condura instead of leather.

------------------

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have a Belstaff cordura jacket that's real nice, mostly waterproof, but it's surprisingly hot. If I lived where you do, I'd get a fully perforated leather jacket and carry a rainsuit.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tristan,

I've looked at Belstaff gear and it looks like good quality stuff. But I think it's made with British weather in mind, i.e. lots of rain, little sun, who needs venting, eh mate?

Every other Cordura jacket I've tried on feels cooler.

------------------

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
Ssssoooooo wwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaattttt??????? IIIII lllloooovvveeee ttttooouuurrriiinnngggg.... Tttttttttrrrryyyy iiiitttt sssooommmmeeetttiiimmmeee,,,,, ppaannntttyyywwaaaiiisssstttt......

------------------
-Yeeee-haaaaa!

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith B:
Ssssoooooo wwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaattttt??????? IIIII lllloooovvveeee ttttooouuurrriiinnngggg.... Tttttttttrrrryyyy iiiitttt sssooommmmeeetttiiimmmeee,,,,, ppaannntttyyywwaaaiiisssstttt......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's funny!!! Good one Keith! :D

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to own a Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket, and it worked ok, but it was still quite hot even with the vents open. I traded it and the ballistic pants (since I always wear jeans anyway) for a Vanson Breeze jacket. The jacket is a little pricey at ~$399 but let me tell you that it is well worth the investment. For all of you fellow Sport Bikers that have to deal with anything like Florida heat, I highly recommend the Vanson Breeze Leather Jacket. It is a perferated leather jacket that will keep you cool on those (many) hot days while still offering competition weight protective leather. It is made in a variety of colors too (depends on the vendor on which colors you can find though). Vanson even makes jackets to custom measurements. The only thing you really give up is the couple of pieces of "armor" that their regular perforated jacket has (~$499 for the regular jacket), but the Breeze still provides excellent abrasion protection and I would even say some degree of impact protection due to the thickness of the leather. The best way to describe how it feels is (while you're moving of course), you feel this cooling sensation all over your torso but at the same time, you don't actually feel the wind penetrating the jacket. If you opt for a light color like my Pearl Gray, even extended stops are not uncomfortable. I routinely use the jacket with just a T-shirt underneath in 90+ degree heat and still come home dry and comfortable. This same jacket would seem to also work well for anything down to maybe 60 degrees before having to consider another jacket or additional "underwear". For those of you interested in more information check them out at http://www.vansonleathers.com/ and for a great vendor and/or trade-ins http://www.newenough.com/ Paul will treat you right.

------------------
"Enjoy the ride!"

Dan M.

[This message has been edited by dtechZR7 (edited July 18, 2000).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts