1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
489 Posts
AAAAAHAHAHAHAHA THATS AWESOME! That poor kid is gonna need counseling after that! He didn't take that very well at all haha. Those things get me to jump every time. That was just cruel... but funny as hell!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

The child must not have been too afraid if he was willing to reach forward and slap the monitor a few times. The normal fear reaction would be to practically fall backwards off the seat to escape.

There is always the possibility this was staged for the camera. I'm not buying this 100% because a concerned parent would not allow their frightened kid to be shamed and ridiculed online.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
515 Posts
Blue Jays said:
The child must not have been too afraid if he was willing to reach forward and slap the monitor a few times. The normal fear reaction would be to practically fall backwards off the seat to escape.
exactly what I was thinking blue jays. poor kid got the bejesus scared out of him... and here I am laughing my ass off :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I think its a case of the kid getting scared at first, then feeling more emberassed over being caught scared... Thus slapping the monitor that made him look like a pansy....

·
Registered
271 Posts
RoadStainR6 said:
Those things get me to jump every time. That was just cruel... but funny as hell!:thumb:
I guess I've seen too many of them for it to still startle me -- I expect it now. It was funny in a big brother, stop and stare at the accident sort of way, though. :p

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Blue Jays said:
...The child must not have been too afraid if he was willing to reach forward and slap the monitor a few times. The normal fear reaction would be to practically fall backwards off the seat to escape.

...a concerned parent would not allow their frightened kid to be shamed and ridiculed online....
I disagree.

When faced with something frightening, the first reaction is quite often to fight it off before fleeing. He wanted to stop seeing the image, so he hit the monitor.

Also, it's obvious that this was not posted by a "concerned parent", but rather by a Dad who takes joy in playing pranks on his child. Not really a model parent.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I dont think there is anything wrong with playing pranks on your kids.

They gotta learn not to take life so seriously, how to laugh at themselves, and that not everything goes to their liking...

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
I dont think there is anything wrong with playing pranks on your kids.

They gotta learn not to take life so seriously, how to laugh at themselves, and that not everything goes to their liking...
Yeah, that all sounds good in theory...

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
cookeetree said:
I disagree.

When faced with something frightening, the first reaction is quite often to fight it off before fleeing. He wanted to stop seeing the image, so he hit the monitor.

Also, it's obvious that this was not posted by a "concerned parent", but rather by a Dad who takes joy in playing pranks on his child. Not really a model parent.
Having had a son, I would never even consider doing something like that. There's enough nasty things happening that I don't need to add to the pile. Yeah, real parent :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi cookeetree-

My guess is that in a "fight or flight" situation a kid is likely going to take the option most readily available. Retreat would have been an easy choice since he wasn't backed into a corner or otherwise restrained. Our theories diverge, but no matter how one slices it, there is a truly weird parent or older sibling on the opposite side of the videocamera.

This is the kind of footage that can eventually make its way to America's Funniest Videos television program, even though it really isn't funny at all. If the child is genuinely afraid, it's sad that it would be posted to the Internet at all.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't realize we had so many psych majors on this board. The thing scarred the shit outta the kid. I know i've been burned by things like that a couple times and jumped in my chair. He got scarred, he freaked out, and ran for help.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Tippmann-

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration by education, and I do play a professional psychologist on the Internet! :laughing:

~ Blue Jays ~

1 - 20 of 29 Posts