Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

I just bought a 748 a few weeks ago. Prior to this, all I've had were Japanese bikes ('89 ZX-7, '92 GSX-R1100, '92 ZX-7 and still have a '91 GSX-R750).

Anyone around the L.A. area? Do you guys ever get together?

Thanks...hoping to learn more about Ducatis from this BBS.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Impressions

chuck996 said:
What are your initial impressions?
Wow, it's been awhile since I posted that!

Well, first time that I ever rode a Duc was when I went to test ride the one I bought. It feels a lot lighter than the other bikes that I've owned and ridden and has more torque (only the second twin I've ridden... the other was TL100R). Taking it up to the canyons the first time, I noticed that it was much easier to flick into turns and was very stable mid-turn. The Brembo brakes are amazing as well.

I met this guy with a Gixxer750 and he asked me about the Duc. Within a week, he had test ridden one and in the fortnight, he had bought a 996 and like me, will not go back to a Japanese bike.

It's not for everyone...it probably suits my style of riding. The best thing to do is ride one and make your own decisions on whether you like the bike or not. Do you already have a 996?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks

Own a Porsche 996 - guess I should have thought of the confusion that would cause here.

No, don't own one looking at a 916 or 748 or Yama R1 or R6.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
55 Posts
LA

Hi, guys.

I m from Singapore, I will be visiting state later this month. Would like to find out is that any shop selling ducati parts you guys reconmemder??
I will be visiting LA and LV.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: LA

Seven said:
I'm from Singapore, I will be visiting state later this month. Would like to find out is that any shop selling ducati parts you guys reconmemder?? I will be visiting LA and LV.
Hey mate,

Are you coming to the States for business or pleasure?

In the L.A. area, there's Pro-Italia, Del Amo Mototsports and Beverly Hills Ducati off the top of my head. In OC, there's Spectrum.

By the way, I was born in Malaysia.. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seven said:
So you are from Malaysia.Are you a Malay or Chinese??
Are you a citizen of the state now??

Are those shops you intro near to each other and are they easily reach??
I am of Chinese ethnicity...left Malaysia for Australia when I was 16 and ended up here in L.A. in 1991.

L.A. is a very, very big city. "Easy to reach" will depend on what part of the city you will be staying in.

Pro-Italia is in Glendale which is about 30 minutes (no traffic) north-east from Beverly Hills Ducati. Del Amo Motosports is in Redondo Beach/Lawndale and is about 30-40 minutes south-west from BH Ducati. Spectrum in Orange County is another 30 minutes south from Del Amo.

I live in South Pasadena and go to Pro-Italia because it's close to the world famous Angeles Crest Highway where we ride every weekend. BH Ducati is close to where I work but I don't go there often as they don't have a whole lot of stuff over there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK. you have benn travlling from places to places. I thinks i will have to confirm where will i be staying than try to locate those places address.

Can i view the stuff they are selling in the net?? Can you give me their web page??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seven said:
Can i view the stuff they are selling in the net?? Can you give me their web page??
Do a search on Google. Type in the name of the shops and "Ducati" and it should bring up their web-sites.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: Thanks

chuck996 said:
Own a Porsche 996 - guess I should have thought of the confusion that would cause here.

No, don't own one looking at a 916 or 748 or Yama R1 or R6.

Thanks Again
Try the new R1 when it comes out!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Thanks

YZFr6-TX said:
Try the new R1 when it comes out!
Have you ridden it yet? I'd love to try out the new R1 and the CBR1000RR. The new R1 is a beautiful bike and I've heard really good things about the Honda. I wouldn't trade my Duc in for a Japanese bike though...

To quote Motorcyclist magazine comparing Japanese bikes to Ducatis - A Japanese bike is "designed to be ridden, used up and replaced. A Ducati is meant to be enjoyed, savored, appreciated, and eventually, enshrined." :cool:

·
Registered
699 Posts
The new R1 is not even out yet, not till April I think. I've ridden a 2001 though. I am planning to purchase a 2004 or 2005 model.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YZFr6-TX said:
The new R1 is not even out yet, not till April I think. I've ridden a 2001 though. I am planning to purchase a 2004 or 2005 model.
The 2004 R1s are already available in very, very limited numbers at some Californian dealers. It was a very strange thing because those bikes were already at the store before the press got a chance to ride and review them. I read that Yamaha had done that in the past as well with some other models.

·
Registered
55 Posts
moomba

hi pal,
I will be staying at Radisson Fullerton Anaheim. Is there any bike shop around that area and where do you suggest I should visit??

I have found out the location of Pro-Italia but it seem to be a distance from my hotel. How can I get there??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: moomba

Seven said:
I will be staying at Radisson Fullerton Anaheim. Is there any bike shop around that area and where do you suggest I should visit??

I have found out the location of Pro-Italia but it seem to be a distance from my hotel. How can I get there??
Are you coming for business or pleasure? How long will you be here? Shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you my number. Give me a shout when you get here...

Anaheim...you could go to Spectrum (Irvine), Del Amo (Redondo Beach/ Lawndale) and European Cycle Specialties (Garden Grove).

Pro-Italia is probably at least an hour from where you are with no traffic. Go to www.mapquest.com and type in the addresses of both your hotel and Pro-Italia and it'll give you directions.

What's your ride?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I m there for a tour. So only 1 day is free for me to expore LA.

I believe I will be renting a car to move around.
I give you a mail before I leave and thanks for your information about the bike shops.:) :) :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seven said:
I believe I will be renting a car to move around.
If you have the chance to drive around on your own on the weekend, visit Pro-italia and then take a drive up the Angeles Crest Highway to Newcomb's Ranch. Many sportbikers hang out there on the weekends...I have a few pictures of that place on my web-site.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sharp RC51 said:
Hey do I know you? You remind me of a guy I rode with today up ACH to Newcomb's ranch:laughing:
Darn, I just can't shake my stalker no matter where I go...I give up. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts