Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putzing around the forums for a few days so I figure "what the hell", I'll show myself.

I've owned an RG 500 for about three years. It's been a monsterous money pit. By the time I wrap up this winter's projects I could buy a 748 or a Mille (not the R quite yet).

The bike's been a blast though, if you like riding a flash bulb on wheels. If I stay on the pipe I can pull any box stock bike out there, just don't ask me to do any top gear roll-ons from 60 mph. Braking is also unbelievable with GSX-R 1100 spec front rotors and modern calipers. With a curb weight under 350 lbs I can really load up the front wheel if I keep the CG down. If I sit up it's stoppie time. Turning? well, it turns. Did I say it was real light?

In order to get where I've gotten I've had to learn tons about two stroke tuning, fault diagnosis, chassis setup, and other details of making a bike really work because the gamma is a DOG out of the box. It might have been a monster in '85 but look at what's happened in 15 years. Fortunately most everything is upgradeable (if your pockets are deep enough).

I've focused on getting 125 honest hp at the rear wheel, a wider powerband with water injection, and a better chassis short of replacing the forks and frame outright. This is fine for street use but you know you're riding a flexi-flier on the track. The bike started out with more trail than Chisolm and Boseman combined, so you need to perform some chassis attitude antics to get the turn rate up to snuff. There's a delicate balance between the turn rate and ass wag on the brakes. Too much ass in the air business and yoke drop is a mother when you grab some heavy brakes, no matter HOW you've screwed yourself into the saddle.

However, it's nice to have a bike that's under 350 lbs with a half tank of gas, and it's fun working on an engine that's this simple and accessible (carbs hang on the ends of the TWO crankshafts). It had better be fun, 'cause you're working on it a lot. If I left it bone stock I'm sure it would plod on forever and I'd get 12,000 miles out of a set of pistons, but I do a ring set each year and a piston set every other year. I'll do maybe 6,000 miles a year if I stay the hell away from my 'rubber cow' the BMW R100. The BMW's as exciting as a mid '70s Buick, but I don't have to remember to take a cell phone with me when I ride it.

Compared to the BMW the gamma, at least in this state of tune, makes a Duc 996 SPS look like a BMW in terms of reliability and maintenance schedules. If the BMW is a fat, healthy Guernsey, the gamma is a rabid baboon with an erection. You might not want to turn your back on the bike, but the ride is always a scream.

Two bikes like night and day aren't bad. I get hard bags, heated grips, shaft drive, electric start, serious carrying capacity and utter reliability out of the BMW. The gamma is just naked rush like cracking two ampoules of amyl nitrate under your nose and taking a monster, lung straining snort. Yeah, you'll see Jesus if that rabid baboon doesn't bugger you first...

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
You're a damn psycho man! :eek::D You're gonna fit in just fine. Sounds like a fun project. I really like the old Gammas. There's a neat Swantz Pepsi replica in one of the US mags this month. :cool:

Welcome to SBW. :)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Boy, when those lurkers come out, they COME OUT!
Anyway, welcome 'Haze! Your Gamma saga both frightens and inspires me. If I had your initiative I'd go forth with my mad scientist formula: CR/KX500+ 17" wheels+ 320mm brake rotor= BIG FUN (and big trouble!). The slightly more sane alternative I may go with is a MZ Black Panther or KTM Supermoto.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome to the fourms.
Well I can tell you right now that you will have a friend in my brother (Honda wrench). He has a 83 RZ 350 (Canadian model), big 2 stroke lover,"cuz 4 strokes is 2 too many".

Again, welcome.

Rock on
Ride on

Adrian

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Welcome Haze!!!
Your Gamma sounds like a love/hate affair to the extremes,but,as long as it doesn't send ya to the poor house I say have fun and tinker and ride a really cool and unique machine!!:)
Jim

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
the gamma is a rabid baboon with an erection. ...but the ride is always a scream. That's a little disturbing :D .

Great intro., let's see some pictures of that bad boy. Welcome to the show :cool: .

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Rug Burn said:
the gamma is a rabid baboon with an erection. ...but the ride is always a scream. That's a little disturbing :D .

Great intro., let's see some pictures of that bad boy. Welcome to the show :cool: .
Pictures of what bad boy Clark... the gamma, the baboon or the erection? :D:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[/B][/QUOTE]
RCjohn writes:
Pictures of what bad boy Clark... the gamma, the baboon or the erection? :D:p [/B][/QUOTE]

I can supply pictures of any or all, but you'll need an AdultCheck account to log on to my Web site, http://www.motulmeenkey.com/~dieter for the tumescent baboon pics.

For the more discriminating connoisseur there is my 'premium' FREE (all you need to do is supply your credit card number to prove that you're an adult) site with mpgs of the baboon screwing one stinger and sniffing the other. It helps to get him in the mood if I first replace the Motul in the injector tank with hash oil and warm up the bike. All it takes is a few quick riffs of the throttle and EVERYBODY is in the mood. It also has better anti-scuff properties than castor, and who cares if it gums up more, decoking the pipes is a blast!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
welcome. rg500, neat bike. i wish.

i met a guy at loudon this year, who has quite a few 2 strokes (races an fzr though) including an rz500. neat bike, but the gamma is awesome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honda wrench said:
Welcome! Glad to see another "stroker". Like my brother fizz said, I have an 83 RZ 350, so we're gonna get along just fine!

justin
Since you have a bike with a better exhaust valve than my subchamber design you'd have an even better result from water injection. Imagine having your bike come on the pipe 1500-2000 RPM sooner. It's the business, and really doesn't cost that much for what it does to the torque curve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've considered water injection, but right now I'm still in the research phase. This winter I'm planning a big tear down and rebuilt, it needs a top end job anyhow. I think I may bore the carbs a skosh, I have an extra set of cylinders I'm gonna bore to the max, and somewhere at work we have the port specs Yamaha came up with for the race bikes, so I'll port and polish it. Plus it needs some body work, the previous owner tried to use some touch up paint on the frame that doesn't match, and he droped it in his drive way.
justin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honda wrench said:
I've considered water injection, but right now I'm still in the research phase. This winter I'm planning a big tear down and rebuilt, it needs a top end job anyhow. I think I may bore the carbs a skosh, I have an extra set of cylinders I'm gonna bore to the max, and somewhere at work we have the port specs Yamaha came up with for the race bikes, so I'll port and polish it. Plus it needs some body work, the previous owner tried to use some touch up paint on the frame that doesn't match, and he droped it in his drive way.
justin
One thing I'd do for sure, in fact the single most vivid improvement to performance apart from water injection that I've seen, is control over the ignition map. Adding more advance off the pipe can really fill in the low end fluff, but you've got to retard strongly, particularly if you've upped compression, to avoid deto. You can also get good overrev if you advance 2-3 degrees AFTER your pipes signs off on the high end of your RPM scale. You don't need peaky porting or anything, just the means to keep the pressure peak within the magic 10-15 degrees ATDC for best power. Check out http://www.superchips.co.uk/bikes/indexfr.htm to see if the RZ is covered. If my gamma is in there I'd expect yours to be also. Factory tuning in the US sells these boxes here. You get +/- 20 degrees of advance and retard in 1/2 degree increments every 250 RPM from 2400 - 14,400 RPM and you can program the unit from a laptop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts