Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard about a study done statistically proving how unsafe SUVs are, and was researching it, when I came across this page . The bulleted items are really interesting, and the sources are rock solid.

Per the data, you older "kids" are statistically more likely to die. Here's my favorite line, "Research published in 1995 shows that five crash types account for 86 percent of fatal motorcycle crashes: motorcycle runs off road (41 percent), motorcycle or other vehicle runs traffic control (18 percent), head on (11 percent), car turns in front of cycle (8 percent), and motorcycle goes down in roadway (7 percent)." I was always under the assumption that car turns in front of cycle would be #1 or #2. I suppose it still could be, but that "rider ran off the road" to avoid the incident could include some of that. Hard to tell w/o reading the source in detail (and I don't have time for that right now).

·
Registered
298 Posts
kanwisch wrote: Per the data, you older "kids" are statistically more likely to die.
Only because they outnumber the younger riders. In 1998 median rider age was 38 but the median age of riders killed was 34. That means that older riders are less likely to die than younger riders. (1998 is the only year for which I can find rider demographics.)

Interestingly, that's similar to the result found by Harry Hurt in 1981 for a much younger riding population. Median crasher age was 25 while median rider age was 27.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts