Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in talking to the boys at the local shop today and they warned against ignition advancers. I dont really understand them all that well but I thought that if set up on a dyno, they were fairly straight forward. I've got a 95' zx9 with a yosh slip on and a K&N filter. From what I've read they just seem to adjust the spark blah blah blah. How could this be hard on my bike????? If it turns out this is just a fairly inexpensive way to adopt a couple horse power any one got any tips?

------------------

·
Registered
104 Posts
An ignition advancer is nothing but a different rotor with the little magnets that trigger the ignition moved forward a few degrees. Think of a circle, with markings at 0 degrees (12) 90 degrees (3) 180 degrees (6) and 270 degrees (9). (As an example) a stock rotor would have the triggers at the locations listed above. An advanced rotor would have the triggers at the 3, 93, 183, 273 positions. You get the idea. An advanced rotor makes the plugs fire later in the combustion cycle to allow for just a fraction more combustion in the cylinder. Used correctly in combination with a jet kit, you can get a small improvement in hp, as well as a nice improvement in throttle response. They aren't "bad" per se, but not worth the $$$ if you don't have any other performance mods to the bike. I installed my 4 degree advancer after my jet kit and noticed a little more "snap" in the upper midrange. To me, it was worth the $40. Try it out. If you like it keep it. If not, return it. You won't hurt anything.

------------------
Cosmo
"Do you know how fast you were going, son?" "Gee officer, if I guess right, can I go home?"

·
Registered
62 Posts
On a '95 ZX-9, you actually get more horse by retarding the ignition. A friend of mine has a '95 with a ZX-6R ignition box, I think it is 3 degrees more retarded than the stock 9's box and he saw a 5-6 horse difference.

- Jeff -

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

1 - 3 of 3 Posts