Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have had a difficult time trying to get yamaha to check, and or repair my engine. i have an 01 R1 with 3K miles on it. it ticks (like many others have said there's do), on the top left side of the engine. it is loud enough that it really bothers me, it sounds like a piece of junk! (i admit it runs fine). my warranty runs out june 26.
i talked to yamaha about 6 weeks ago, and the guy finally agreed that yamaha would pay for a valve adjustment, IF THEY ARE OUT OF SPEC! if they are in spec, i will have to pay.
i, then found several sportbike forums. it seems that there are many r1's that tick like this (r6's too). So i am sure yamaha knows why they tick, and what needs to be changed (OR, possibly why it is harmless)
today i took my bike to a different dealer. the mechanics were pretty cool and came outside and listened to my engine. they agreed that it definitely ticks, and "sounds" like it may have a loose valve. they said if they are in spec, that i would have to pay 190.00 labor to check them.
i called yamaha and asked why they wouldn't just stand behind their machine and fix whatever it is under warranty. i also told him that i have read about R1's that had the valves adjusted, and still made this ticking noise. the yamaha rep told me don't believe anything you hear on the internet. he said that he would bet a years salary that none of you guy's even OWN R1's!!!!!!!!!!!WTF?????
I tried to make him see my point. i don't care why it ticks. i don't care if the valves are in, or out of spec. i just want them to take off the damn valve cover, and have a look, check the damn thing out! 2 separate dealerships agreed that it does not sound right.
IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO COMMENT TO THIS CUSTOMER SERVICE REP AT YAMAHA, HERE IS THE TOLL FREE NUMBER: 1-800-962-7926 (the one in the manual is not toll free).
THE GUYS NAME IS: Jim Moore
if your's ticks, give him a call, and let him know, he owes us his salary for a year
p.s., have your vin number ready, i'm sure he won't believe you "really" own a R1.
Thanks for listening guys, i'll try to keep my posts to something positive in the future...;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
HEY ! A ticking valve is not the end of the world ya know? Moving parts will make noise no matter what. My R6 makes a ticking noise, a whining noise when its in gear, a clunky noise when you put it into gear, and I can even hear the starter when I press the start button !........but the Yoshimura pipe helped to quiet those noises down for me.

If there is a valve out of spec on these bikes, it is probably only out by a couple thousanths of an inch, so the difference is harmless IMO. In the valve world, it's better loose than tight.
Sorry to sound like a A$$hole but you seem very pissed off about something so small. If ya want to save your money, just get the manual and check the valves yourself. I would bet that they are within specs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would have to agree with R1forFUN. Every person I talk to that seems to own an R1 or R6 seems to have this ticking issue. Mine (a 2000 R1...I think I actually own one????) does make a loud ticking noise from the same spot that all the others do and it seems to get worse to warmer the bike gets. I see ninjabeaters point that it is mechanic and will make noise, however, how is it that the dealer mechanics and Yamaha reps dont hear the same noise we do?? I dont care if it makes a "Normal" noise, but I would just like a yamaha represenative actually admit that they know of the ticking problem and come up with a reason that it is making the noise.

·
Registered
580 Posts
R1, almost all of the bikes I've owned make some degree of engine noise in addition to the exhaust , ticking, thrashing around, whatever. I dont think anyone can say if you are over reacting or not without actually hearing it. Have you listened to other R1s running? Also on my VTR it was making a ticking noise after a few 1000 miles when I first got it. I switched from the Castrol crap i was using to Valvoline Durablend. I never heard the ticking again. What kind of oil are you using and have you changed it to see what effect it has on the noise? Oil has a short life in bike engines. Also a leak in the exhaust can sound like a valve if you haven't already checked that. If none of that helps I guess you're just stuck riding it as is if you arent willing to pay the mechanics. That doesnt sound too bad to me, no pun intended. After all your bike is built for speed, not quietness. If you dont like it I'll trade you my bike, it doesn't tick!!!!!

PS I check my valve clearances myself, its not that hard on my bike. Dont know about yours though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey ninjabeater, i admit mechanical valve trains do make noise! i have drag raced for years. i built my own engines, my last one was 582 cubic inches. it had a roller valve train (of course), and you can expect to hear noise from it. it also had a gear drive which sounds like a giant electric drill. lots of noises!perfectly normal, perfectly healthy! no problem... i dont expect all engines to purr with buttery soft hydraulic valves.
what bothers me is that this engine has 20 valves. and if all 20 of them clattered... i would say it just has noisy valvetrain. but, it sounds like ONE valve only. and i'm not saying that is a valve either, it just sounds like one to me. and it sounded like that to 2 separate dealerships (5 mechanics listened to it). i have read where my fellow r1 owners had the same problem, and had the valves adjusted, and it still ticked. i brought this up to the yamaha hotline, and he said you guys dont even own r1's....that it is just kids posting shit to cause trouble.
i begged to talk to the technical assistance department. but no deal... top secret i guess. if i could to talk to an engineer or factory mechanic it would probably be satisfactory explanation. i would bet they know exactly what it is that causes this.
my tick is loud enough (top left hand side of engine) that people ask me "when was the last time you changed the oil in that thing", that's nice...
hey nick, if it get's any louder i'll let you know about the trade...what color is it???????
Jmccoy23 is your bike under warranty??????
and to those of you with tickers that don't mind it, i don't mean to offend any of you. i wish it didn't bother me, but i think it sounds terrible.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't own an R1 (thank goodness) but I know a lot of people who do. And this is the culmination of everything I've heard about them. They are a blast to ride, but mechanically, they are a lemon. I would say your best bet is to sell that bike (or total, whichever) and ride something else for a few years. Get a honda, or Suzuki, or a Kawasaki. It doesn't matter. Just for a few years. If your true blue (get it?) to Yamaha, go back to them after they get their shit together. The 2002 seems to be a little more refined and more mechanically sound then the previous models. But then again, I don't know anyone who has more then a couple thousand miles on one yet. We'll see what happens.

Sell the bike, get something reliable for a year or so, then go back to Yamaha if you still feel you like them after that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I know I was a little harsh with my first comment.... Sorry:)

But I am thinking that some valve noise is ok in this case.
You said you have experience with gear drives for car engines right?... Why don't they make them quiet? I know there is a quiet gear drive also but why? Different specs of cuts on the gears will determine the noise that it makes. Will the noisy gear drive break easier than the quiet one? ...

I see your point though, because if only 1 valve sounds bad then there must be a problem. When you go to a mechanic for help, DON'T tell them that you think you have a valve problem, just ask what that rattle or ticking sound is. If you tell them that you think it's the valves then they might just agree with you. Ask some more mechanics to get different opinions. I hope you get this figured out because it can benefit a lot of other people too. Good luck and keep updating the post !

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks for the replies guys.:D ninja beater that is a good question about which gear drive would break first. i would "guess" the noisy one will wear out first (the noisy one's are made mostly for the street guys so they sound like they have a blower tucked under the hood). but, actually gear drives are not used much anymore on hardcore engines. they have been replaced with a rubber belt. it doesn't sound reliable, but it is, they are very nice. and allow you to change cam timing without even taking a cover off...way too trick!!!!!!!
i have tried the approach of saying that i don't know what it is, and the mechanics said it sounded like a lone valve with too much slop in it.
if yamaha won't check it out under warranty. i WILL have an answer this fall (if i still have it). if i can't figure it out with the help of the local drag bike mechanics, i'll put it in a box, and send it to graves or paul gast.
and kevlar7r, i think yamaha makes good equipment. my bike is a ball to ride. i am just very unhappy that yamaha won't just tell me "take it to the dealer, and we will make sure everything is as it should be...and since it's under warranty, there will be no charge" <<<< that is all it would take to satisfy me...but yamaha has told me NO, 3 different times.
and BTW, i have read where people are getting the tick on the 02's also.:confused:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The reason Yamaha is rejecting your request is legitimate. Valves go out of adjustment. Your experience with valve trains should agree with that. Its a maintenance issue. When you purchased your bike, they probably offered you the optional service plan. The valves are supposed to be adjusted at certain intervals. If a valve were broken, then that would be a warranty issue. I know you don't want to hear it, but if I were the guy making the descions at Yamaha, I'd reject it too. Warranties don't cover maintenance items. I'll bet if you read the terms of the warranty, it states that explicitly, might even include a list of items not covered. If you can turn a wrench (and it sounds like you can) then you can probably adjust them yourself. Find a buddy who's done this before, and offer him some beer in return for some help (or some similar form of barter). Or get a service manual and do it yourself.

My main advice still stands. Get rid of it, and get something reliable. :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
A loose valve is surely better than a tight one. I have 13k on my 2000 R1 and it still sounds the same as when I bought it. Ticks, but not badly. Half of the noise went away when I tightened the exhaust stud nuts back to spec. A leaky exhaust header will sound like a loose valve.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey kevlar7r, you are right! valves do go out of adjustment.
and according to the yamaha service manual, the valves are do for adjustment at 26K miles. well, mine has only 3K miles... HARDLY NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR. the yamaha rep even agreed that , this is not normal wear, and they would pay "if they are out of adjustment". i have heard many people say they adjusted the valves, and it still ticks.:confused:
i don't want to get rid of it, i want it fixed:D
don't get me wrong guy's, i'm not here to bash R1"s. i think the bike kicks ass! the ticking just bothers me, and i wanna figure out what it is, and fix it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'm not real positive on this...

I was told by an experienced mechanic that the valves on the 'R' bikes are placed deep within. He also told me that when they do go out of spec range it is likely you will not hear them too much.

Don't you find it a little strange that the noise is coming from the side only. The valves that are most likely to go out of range would be the Ex valves. You would hear these in the front of the engine head.

I would guess that the noise is most likely coming from the cam chain having a tension problem, or maybe it was designed that way.

Just another point of view. I'm not trying to stick up for Yamaha.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is'nt saying buy something reliable and Kawasaki in the same sentance an oxymoron? :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VYPIR, you hit the nail on the head. after talking to people that had their valves adjusted, they still ticked. so, i think it is something else. and yes the fact that they only tick on the left side, AWAY from the oil pump is interesting also. i dunno...
yamaha was willing to pay for an adjustment, if they are out of spec. that further leads me to believe they know i will have to pay, and it will still tick. :finger:
i'll figure it out sooner or later

·
Registered
255 Posts
I found a fix for the ticking noise !

(sorry...I had to post it)....;)
But seriously, if so many bikes are making this noise, then it must be normal. Kind of a design flaw that doesn't affect reliability or life of the engine...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts