Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. Sorry to post here but I didnt know where this post belonged.

My main concern is actually fitting on the damn thing without looking retarded.

I was pretty much set on the 12r but you know how that goes.

I played with a gsxr1000 and cbr1000 today. The gsxr "felt" bigger but really it wasnt. rc51 maybe? r1 looks dinky....The hyabusa <whatever> is out due to me thinking there ugly.

What are some of the bigger folks riding. I dont want to sacrifice performance and get a sport-tourer. If i go that way ill go get a real tourer.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Older CBR-1000F, ZX-11, Blackbird (1100XX), VFR-800, and Hayabusa are all longer wheelbases and in general roomier.

If you're a new rider looking for a first bike, I'd stay away from that list and consider a smaller standard. EX-500 and SV-650 comes to mind. Both are sporty but still sit closer to a standard than a sportbike. None of them will suffer in their ability to pull your weight around if that's one of your concerns. Also, there are some who will argue that tall guys fit the physically smaller bikes just fine. At 5'7" with a decent heel, you couldn't prove that by me, though.;) Good luck.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Dad said:
Also, there are some who will argue that tall guys fit the physically smaller bikes just fine.
:hello:

I'm 6'2" w/ a 34" inseam to give you an idea of how comparable we are. The bikes I've been on that fit me the best from a leg standpoint were the R1, R6, RC-51, VFR, and an F4 (2000 model, I am not sure of the current Honda 6-ers).

Dad is correct in that the bigger bikes have a longer wheelbase, however in the case of the XX My knees wouldn't fit well under the tank cutouts. It wasn't uncomfortable by any means, it just proved to me that just because it's a bigger cc bike doesn't mean it is physically much (if any) bigger.

Also, like Dad said, if you're lookin for a beginner bike I'd stick to older 600's at the most. If you're not a beginner, then disregard and have fun! :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
when i saw the title to the topic i immeadiatly thought of the zx12........ then i read the first few replys.... what is wrong with the zx 12? I got a gixxer 1000 i`m 6` 210.... its sized almost perfect for me as far as how i`m built.... but i`m half your size, i did have a zx11 before the gxr, big bike, you can buy em cheap now too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 599 is my first 'street' bike, and I'm 6'4", 215 lbs, and a 36" inseam...I feel like I fit just fine on my bike. I don't feel cramped at all....

Though, I have not sat on too many other bikes, just a 919, 600RR and a 1000RR... (I was hanging out at the Honda dealership all day) :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the bike feels too tight for the legs and your not in the tank cutouts, remember that you can always get adjustable rearsets to customize the fit a little better.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A GSXR1000 would be the best bet for a sportbike since it will fit a tall rider and is comfortable, musch more than the Honda. An RC51 would also be good as would the CBR1000 but they are not nearly as comfortable as the big Gixxer. A ZX12, Hyabusa or any other big street racer would be good also. Also, Aprilia MileR 1000.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am 6'4" and 245 lbs. I have a 36" inseam. I drive a Suzuki Hayabusa. It has the power you want, and it will fit you like a glove. It is the best motorcycle I've ever owned, and I've been riding since 1969.

·
Registered
147 Posts
MFFJM2 said:
I am 6'4" and 245 lbs. I have a 36" inseam. I drive a Suzuki Hayabusa. It has the power you want, and it will fit you like a glove. It is the best motorcycle I've ever owned, and I've been riding since 1969.
+1 On the BUSA 6'1" 260.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm 6'1" at 240# and fit quite comfortably on my ZX-6. When I was looking for bikes last year, I also checked out a CBR600 and a Katana (can't remember if it was a 600 or 750). Of the three, I was most satisfied with the fit the Ninja. Best advice I can give is to get in the saddle of whatever you are thinking about and see how it fits you and maybe what can be adjusted to fit.

HTH.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Some are forgetting that the "SPORTBIKE" is actually a road version replica of their road racer & in many cases the same bikes with superior suspension & other mods are the bike used by the factory supported teams in enuro road racing.

The idea of the road racer is to cut down weight & slipstream the bike for most of their factory riders. Said riders, bar a minor few are 5'5" to 5'10".

So look around for something that is NOT a sportbike being a sport-touring bike like the Yamaha 1200 or whatever it is & competitive machines from other makers. I was at the Yamaha shot around 3 weeks ago & eyed the 1200 or 1300 sport-touring & being 5'9" my preference is for smaller & lighter bikes so said Yamaha would not be of interest to me.

You suffer over being to tall & some suffer over being far to short. That is what cages are for-------they will fit most people with all the adjustments & then it is only up to the buyer to see how it fits him. M/cs, unfortunately, are not adjustable for different sized people.

Why not look at what BMW & Triumph offer? Okay so they are NOT neatly tucked in sportbikes, but obviously the neat tucked in sportbikes do not fit you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
do you have any riding experience? maybe buying a bike that fits your size off the showroom floor isnt the best idea. all bikes can be made to fit any size person raising/lowering kits, different rearsets, you can even buy kits to relocate the handle bars. i would hate to see a person with no riding experience on a 1300cc sportbike that has close to a .5 to 1 power to weight ratio day 1 just because its a larger framed motorcycle. if you have riden before my advice is to take a day go visit a couple of dealers and sit on a few bikes. we can tell you all day long which bikes we like best, but everyone will like a different motorcycle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts