Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
she is a worthless POS and needs to be out of office...she kills riders safety courses but tries to push this through? I dont get her...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
almightys said:
the using yoru credit history parts makes sense, I never understood how that one got started to evaluate peoples insurability.
Pretty simple really...The actuaries that work for the insurance companies study statistics. They found that statistically, those with poor credit typically had more claims and/or more expensive claims. Therefore, those with poor credit should pay more.

Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Might sound good on paper, but watch how many insurance companies just say fawk it and pull out of the state or just refuse to have certain types of coverage...such as sportbikes. It has happened in other places around the country. As far as insurance rates being reflected off of your credit report, most of the major companies have been doing that for a long time.

You should be voting for this lady...voting for her opposition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UglyAngelX said:
Might sound good on paper, but watch how many insurance companies just say fawk it and pull out of the state or just refuse to have certain types of coverage...such as sportbikes. It has happened in other places around the country. As far as insurance rates being reflected off of your credit report, most of the major companies have been doing that for a long time.

You should be voting for this lady...voting for her opposition.
I can see your point on that, BUT Michigan does have some of the highest insurance rates in the country I beleive. Somebody help me out on this, I'm pretty sure I read it somwhere real recently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
Headlight said:
I can see your point on that, BUT Michigan does have some of the highest insurance rates in the country I beleive. Somebody help me out on this, I'm pretty sure I read it somwhere real recently.
Yep I remember reading that too. Of course you guys have the highest auto theft rates, which is the reason for the high premiums. Forcing the prices low will just drive the insurance companies out. And the ones that will stay will have a locked market, and will find a loophole to raise their prices even higher..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,622 Posts
919rider said:
Pretty simple really...The actuaries that work for the insurance companies study statistics. They found that statistically, those with poor credit typically had more claims and/or more expensive claims. Therefore, those with poor credit should pay more.

Kevin
its still BS.
so those without disposable income will make more claims becuase they dont have the extra money to just fix the vehicle themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
almightys said:
its still BS.
so those without disposable income will make more claims becuase they dont have the extra money to just fix the vehicle themselves.
Disposable income and credit history are not the same thing. A car is a financial responcibility, so it makes sence that people who have a history of not being able to keep up with their responcibilities might just fail once again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,622 Posts
Vash said:
Disposable income and credit history are not the same thing. A car is a financial responcibility, so it makes sence that people who have a history of not being able to keep up with their responcibilities might just fail once again...
yes they kinda are

if you have alot of disposable income you probably do not have shitty credit

and they are not just using yoru payment history with automobiles to determine that are they?

so if I dont pay a doctors bill or was late on my JC penny charge card my car insurance will be higher?
silly isnt it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
The biggest problem (IMHO) with insurance in Michigan is the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA). Check your most recent insurance bill, you're paying around $140 to the MCCA for each vehicle you have insured. This pays for Michigan's unlimited medical coverage for accident-related injuries.

First problem with the MCCA: it's per-vehicle, not per-driver. So for me, with (ahem...) 6 licensed vehicles (2 cars, 4 motorcycles) that's $840/year! Even though there are only 2 drivers in my household so we can only operate 2 vehicles at a time.

Second, and bigger, problem with the MCCA: it doesn't cover motorcyclists. Even though we have to pay the premium! :finger: If you're in a single-vehicle motorcycle accident, you get nothing . If you're in an accident with a car, then you're covered under the car owner's policy (assuming the car owner is insured!)--just like a pedestrian who pays $0/year.

In a car, you're fully covered for single-vehicle accidents, no matter how they happen. Wrap your Camaro around a phone pole while street-racing and drunk? You're covered! Hit a deer on a motorcycle (or run off the road while avoiding the Camaro headed straight for you in your lane)--tough s&!t.

I have contacted the AMA about this, they told me that it's on their radar but that's all I got from them. Maybe if there's a redo of our insurance laws in the works, this would be a good time to fix this inanity also.

For now, I keep my cars and my wife's bike insured all the time. But I only have insurance on one of my 3 street bikes, whichever one I'm riding at the time. I use Progressive because their web interface makes it easy to swap bikes in and out at will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
almightys said:
yes they kinda are

if you have alot of disposable income you probably do not have shitty credit

and they are not just using yoru payment history with automobiles to determine that are they?

so if I dont pay a doctors bill or was late on my JC penny charge card my car insurance will be higher?
silly isnt it
Not silly at all. If you are messing up your credit, it means you cannot handle the money that you make. You are more likely to look at your insurance policy as a hand out, and try to "scam" a claim.
And look at how many people there are in severe dept with a sizable income, and how many not so well paid proffessionals are there with damn good credit scores. In my book a credit score is a damn good check of a persons ability to handle responcibility, especially in the long term.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
When I was buying my RC51, I had trouble finding a insurance company that would insure a bike less than 3 years old without me owning a garage. The insurance company I had been using for 9 years to insure my F2 and F3, that was still insuring my F3 said they did not insure sportbikes at all.

We already have trouble finding insurance if it gets worse we are in trouble.



That being said every company in the US pays for insurance and gas in some way or another. Want to help the economy lower the price of them 2 things and your on your way.

This Gov. sucks, she keeps steping over dollars to save pennys. Something needs to be done with Michigan insurance but i'm sure she will fuck this up like she has most other things she has touched.

For the last 3 years my home insurance has gone up almost $200 a year. Its about Half of the house payment.

The real way to fix this is to cap there profits and work to get rid of bullshit law suits. Something a democrate will never do cause they are now ran by trial lawyers. (check it out if you don't believe me)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,622 Posts
Vash said:
Not silly at all. If you are messing up your credit, it means you cannot handle the money that you make. You are more likely to look at your insurance policy as a hand out, and try to "scam" a claim.
And look at how many people there are in severe dept with a sizable income, and how many not so well paid proffessionals are there with damn good credit scores. In my book a credit score is a damn good check of a persons ability to handle responcibility, especially in the long term.
well sorry but i dont agree and really doesnt matter anyway. This was instituted just as another way for everyone to take it in the ass again from the inusrance companies. I hope stuff like what Granhom is saying does go through so it does deal a blow to them. Guess what they wont pull out of michigan they will just find another way to ad a little FU fee to your tab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
I dont mind abit of disagreement on something this trivial if you dont. Try looking at it as giving a discount to those with good credit score, as opposed to a surcharge to those with bad.
If you think about it, insurance buisness is really nothing more than banking. Its essentially a loan for the value of the vehicle. You pay them so much a month, and they will have to pay you the value, after a certain ammount of time (determined by the percentige chance of damage). The biggest difference is that you get the value of the loan, after you finish paying for it, if everything goes right. If you wreck your vehicle early, then the company looses money and will eventually be unable to operate, if you pay them too much, then they cannot be competetive. So its in their interest to keep their profit margins reasonable. Since we are essentially talking about a loan here (cost of vehicle+medical+liability damage) your credit score has everything to do with how well you'll take care of it. Thus they can reduce their rates for those customers who are less likely to "Default" on their policy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,622 Posts
Vash said:
I dont mind abit of disagreement on something this trivial if you dont. Try looking at it as giving a discount to those with good credit score, as opposed to a surcharge to those with bad.
If you think about it, insurance buisness is really nothing more than banking. Its essentially a loan for the value of the vehicle. You pay them so much a month, and they will have to pay you the value, after a certain ammount of time (determined by the percentige chance of damage). The biggest difference is that you get the value of the loan, after you finish paying for it, if everything goes right. If you wreck your vehicle early, then the company looses money and will eventually be unable to operate, if you pay them too much, then they cannot be competetive. So its in their interest to keep their profit margins reasonable. Since we are essentially talking about a loan here (cost of vehicle+medical+liability damage) your credit score has everything to do with how well you'll take care of it. Thus they can reduce their rates for those customers who are less likely to "Default" on their policy.
see thats the prob i have with it.
you are not getting a discount becuase you have good credit you are just not getting bent over as much.
and now they do not even want to pay your medical (most are coordinated" with your medical plan. And do they really lose if you make a claim? I think not, because they just raise your insurance rate when you make a claim and also others in that same region to balance it out. The only way they really seem to lose is if their is a catostrophic claim filed by thousands of people and then they have a problem. This is why i am on the side that thinks we are getting screwed either way here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
almightys said:
see thats the prob i have with it.
you are not getting a discount becuase you have good credit you are just not getting bent over as much.
and now they do not even want to pay your medical (most are coordinated" with your medical plan. And do they really lose if you make a claim? I think not, because they just raise your insurance rate when you make a claim and also others in that same region to balance it out. The only way they really seem to lose is if their is a catostrophic claim filed by thousands of people and then they have a problem. This is why i am on the side that thinks we are getting screwed either way here.
It does not take a catastrophic event for claims to be rolling in, hundreds if not thousands of claims are probably filed daily in your area alone, you just do not hear about it most of the time. I have never seen auto and medical insurance companies coordinating plans together????? Where does this happen? I am sure if you get into a wreck and your health initially covers the cost, they could go after your auto insurance company and get back their expenses, but coordinating benefits, I doubt that....especially considering most people go through seperate companies for health and auto. If you really have questions or need answers about how the insurance works in your area, hit up your state's website. I know I learned a ton of things by going and getting my Life Accident and Health lic. here in PA, stuff I never had a clue existed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
Almighty:
Insurance companies are a buisness. Yes they do make a profit. If you want to call that bending us over, feel free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
The insurance industry reports some of the largest profit margins of any other industry. Its been over 33% in some years. Not long ago your got back a rebate cause they made a huge profit that was later deemed unfair practice.


The truth is I would not have any trouble with insurance if it was not required by law. You can not drive a uninsured car or moped on Michigan streets. Yet they can tell you we do not want to insure you.


I give you a reason for my Hate for the insurance industry. I shoped around for insurance for a RC51 had trouble finding it. Finally found insurance bought the bike. 2 weeks after getting the bike I was told by the company that I had one 10mph ticket that was 4 years old and they could no longer insure me. I had a loan on the bike and with out insurance I was in trouble.

How mad would you be? Why do insurance companys go back 5 years only for bikes?
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top