Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that letting a bike idle too long while on the side stand can damage the motor. The reason given was the oil will not reach the right cylinder as much as if it was standing straight up. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's the first I've ever herd anything like that. I'm guessing it's BS, but I could be wrong. (Although I doubt it)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to own a '95 Virago in which the oil light would come on sometimes if you left it idiling on the side stand. I didn't have that bike very long and never looked any deeper into it.

Other than that though, I have never really heard anything about it hurting the engine.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
bird said:
I was told that letting a bike idle too long while on the side stand can damage the motor. The reason given was the oil will not reach the right cylinder as much as if it was standing straight up. Is there any truth to this?
As long as your "oil light" doesn't come on, all cylinders are getting the same amount of oil. Assuming you are talking about a modern, water cooled bike with a working cooling fan.

The real question is "why would you want to leave it running while on the kick stand to begin with?" Other than leaving your bike to shut your garage door, I don't see any sense in doing this.

Are you talking about leaving it on the kickstand to warm up the bike when it is cold? If so, then OK, but not for more than a few minutes as long the oil light is not on and the kickstand is not srping loaded like on most Ducatis.

:confused:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Besides it is asking for trouble to LEAVE the bike on a prop stand in neutral ESPECIALLY WHILE RUNNING. Anything can happen like it might roll foward & hit the pavement or someone might accidently hit the gear change lever & the bike will lung forward.
Still who would leave a bike for any length of time ticking over like that. Think of the bike as being in need of some air to cool off through the rad?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Idling on side stand

naefearjustbeer said:

I thought that all ducatis would not run if they are on the kickstand.
I can't really remember, now that I think about it, but I think that is how they got around the "kickstand shut-off switch" requirement by having the kick stand come up when the bike is brought to the upright position.

Someone that presently owns a 900SS will have to correct me if I am wrong.

It really bugs me that I can't remember............

·
Registered
120 Posts
The newer Ducatis won't Idle with the sidestand down, but the older ones with the "suisidestand" will,

and I have not heard of any oiling problems with leaving a bike on the kickstand, if you are warming it up there should be no concern with airflow since you want it to warm up,

I don't think it is a good idea though to leave the bike unatended while runing,

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Lt.Gustl said:
The newer Ducatis won't Idle with the sidestand down, but the older ones with the "suisidestand" will,

and I have not heard of any oiling problems with leaving a bike on the kickstand, if you are warming it up there should be no concern with airflow since you want it to warm up,

I don't think it is a good idea though to leave the bike unatended while runing,
suisidestand=LOL. I have scars on my left ankle to remind me of that. Yeah, I think my '95 900SS SP would idle with the stand down.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have heard of this being a problem concerning the cams!

I was told when first starting out that if the bike is on it's side stand all the oil in the head will settle on the down side of the head and possibly starve the cam/valve interface on the up side.

Whether it has any truth to it I don't know but I never leave my bike idling on the side stand for more that a few seconds out habit.

As far as warming my bike, I just ride very gently for the first half mile with light throttle and less than 3.5 k RPM. I see no real advantage to letting it warm any longer than that. By then everything is well oiled and ready to go??

·
Registered
391 Posts
Never heard of that problem. Though an air cooled bike might get hot if you leave it for to long. I give mine a minute or two while I lock up the shed then take it easy for a few miles. As far as the kickstand, the Bandit will idle with it down, but if I forget and put it in gear it will die. I also found out if the stand vibrates down a bit on the interstate at say 80mph it will die then too!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't know about the oil not getting to the outer cylinders, but I believe on carburated bikes, it's not good (but not TOO bad either) to idle too long. This can blacken up the plugs electrodes and require replacing the plugs a little prematurely. I had a friend that had a new 99 6R, and he used to "pose" with it running while shootin' the breeze..revving it occasionally to "impress" non-riders. Anyway, when he changed the plugs, they were nasty. As if the bike was running too rich all of the time. Maybe the bike was running too rich, but I suspect it's from letting sit at idle.

Let me know if I'm wrong....I wouldn't want to go around saying this if it 's wrong:D .

But all for not if your bike is FI.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Just beginning to realize some new riders as asking for trouble.

I have seen a number of them simply turn on the key & hit the starter button. That tells me that the bike was left in NEUTRAL on the prop stand which is a NO NO to any sensible m/cist.
Also anyone could have tripped the lever into a gear & down will go the bike.
My bike is parked on the prop stand & in lst cog.
I mount it, put it into neutral, kick up the stand & STILL pull in the clutch lever as I fire up the engine.
Then I will do up my helmet, possibly jacket, put on the gloves, etc & in this time the bike is warming up, still at the start of the day I let it warm up a bit longer.
It is an old safety habit that has payed off for yrs or riding.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
IF you had ridden Brit irons----

---then you would have found out that one needs to put the gearchange lever into neutral before one tried to start up the bike AND it was the same on a HD or Indian.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts