Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to check this bike out this week and wanna know what you all think. I am kinda leary about the salvaged title but this guy has answered every question I've thrown at him ( and theres been a bunch) and the thing looks beautiful. so do you think its worth 3,300 if it rides as nice as it looks?
here the link

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/503502844.html

Thanks all for helpin' out!

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh ya with a clear title it blue books at 4,950 with about 19,000 miles. This one has 23,000 on it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
looks alright! just make sure everythings ok when you see it... I mean inspect it... go ahead and make you a list of what to check :D I'm guessing this isnt gonna be your first bike so you already know what to look for!!

f4i is a good bike... i've riden one recently and theyre very comfortable... power is so and so... if youre used to liter bikes its gonna feel flat off the start, but is still pretty good. It can still make you say "Oh SHIT" once you start hittin the powerband. Low maintenance too... if i'm not mistaken. Not sure about mpg though. I've heard that some fuel inj can devour gas at certain conditions/circumstances but i'm not sure bout f4i.

you might want to go ahead and scout about the insurance. Just make sure getting the insurance is as easy as he said

·
Registered
265 Posts
and oh... you might wanna ask the owner what maintenance has he done for this high mileage bike?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
23,000 miles is NOT high mileage. I know a guy in Florida with a 2004 cbr600 f4i with well over 90,000 miles and still on trucking.

I would ask for maintenance records though to make sure proper things were replaced on a timely matter. Things such as spark plugs, chains, sprockets, timing chain (if needed adjustment), etc.

I would say that's a pretty decent price for an f4i, but expected for this time of year. The salvage title will lower the retail price of it, so I'd expect that from a bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my first bike so a lack power compared to a litre bike will not be an issue, I'm not really conserned with MPG so thats not a problem either.
I just think this bike is beautiful and I wanna get someone elses opion. I will have a 12 yr yamaha and BMW tech with me when I look at it so I'm sure he'll know what to look for, but I still want to have a few views from others on the worth of a bike with a salvaged title. I've checked progressive and the insurance is only like 700 a year with just a bit more coverage than the law requires and I have 2 speeding tickets (in my car) in the last 3 years ( I will be alot more careful on a bike than in a car, thats for sure)
so keep the opions coming, they are valued!
Thanks

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Salvage title could mean a lot of things. You'd just have to ask more questions then a bike that has a clean title. Then again, my 600RR has a clean title and been in four wrecks so far... :p Most of the time, salvage title is usually just means cosmetic damage as that's mainly the large expense in accidents with "low" damage.

·
Registered
265 Posts
JBaz said:
Salvage title could mean a lot of things. You'd just have to ask more questions then a bike that has a clean title. Then again, my 600RR has a clean title and been in four wrecks so far... :p Most of the time, salvage title is usually just means cosmetic damage as that's mainly the large expense in accidents with "low" damage.
agree... you'll just have too investigate about the salvage title and make sure the circumstances that he said regarding the bike can be confirmed.

now.. a 600cc bike as a first bike... I'm sure you've read other threads that is against 600 as first bike.. so I'm not even gonna mention anything about it

if you like it and after you see it and sit on it... you feel really comfy with it then go for it! It really is a good bike. Something you want now and would probbly still want for another year or 2.

:thumbs2: good luck! hopefully you'll like it

·
Registered
892 Posts
OSUrid3r said:
Last I heard, there's a guy who has over 107,000 miles on his F4i. Here's a video of his odometer turning over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwiOyq2Q9-I

And for the record my 11 year old car which cost $13,000 brand new has almost 190,000 miles on the clock. Who needs mileage?
thats awesome, 100,000 on bike is like hitting 200,000 on a car, you just know your got your moneys worth.

·
Registered
265 Posts
thats what i plan for my first bike! I'm gonna ride this f4 pass 100,000 mile mark! I ride on the average 2.5k amonth.. I'm on 20k now:huh: so i got quite a ways to go!

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
r3yrey said:
thats what i plan for my first bike! I'm gonna ride this f4 pass 100,000 mile mark! I ride on the average 2.5k amonth.. I'm on 20k now:huh: so i got quite a ways to go!
:laughing: That was my plan too, until I didn't realize I wasn't mentally ready for just one particular ride :(

My current daily driver cage (a Chevy, FWIW) is at the 230k mi, it ain't no thang, really. Now stuff is starting to break :crying:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Its one thing when parts on my car break but when the same parts break 2-3 times it gets irritating. Problems this week: New oxygen sensors, fix a shock mount, new wheel bearing/hub assembly, figure out where the gas leak is this time, well... you get the idea. Realistically its cheaper to buy a new car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
met a guy from the ninja250 forums, he rode his F4i (complete with hard-mounted saddlebags/other touring gear)... which had hit 100k on the way there.

I'm averaging 2k miles a month... but that's with this crappy weather and getting a new job that's 1/5 the distance from the old one... My civic has 160k on it, ninjette just over 10k, but I'm thinking by this time next year the bike will have more mileage than the car... especially if yonder summer is like this last one we had (dry).

The mileage and wear really all depend on how you treat your ride. If you beat on it, it'll break, but if it's your baby, it'll last a while longer.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I very nearly bought a CBR1000RR with a salvage title, but in the end, I knew it would always be in the back of my mind regardless of how well the bike seemed.

I also worry about getting rid of it down the line...

I guess it could work out though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts