·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sissy!
Sissy boy!
Girly-Man!!! :D

I thought it looked pretty cool!
I have no idea the next time I would be in that area, but it would be something to see.

Actually, I would be more in fear of the food and water than that climb!

I will bet you could find some guys who would be wanting to ride there mountain bikes up it!

It must take days to get to that place.
Just about as far away from Michigan as you can get and still be on this planet.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Hell yeah.
That'd rock.
Or those ones in Nepal by India.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Sissy!
Sissy boy!
Girly-Man!!! :D

I thought it looked pretty cool!
I have no idea the next time I would be in that area, but it would be something to see.

Actually, I would be more in fear of the food and water than that climb!

I will bet you could find some guys who would be wanting to ride there mountain bikes up it!

It must take days to get to that place.
Just about as far away from Michigan as you can get and still be on this planet.
screw mountain bikes, how about some guys on trials bikes - now that would be sweet!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha!
Just wait until you have to go to the bathroom out on that small ledge!

When I was in Japan a long time ago, I got a chance to climb Mount Fuji.
It is not all that technical, you just hike up the path, to watch the sun rise from the rim. It is very cool, but pretty difficult.

The older American's had a hard time with this, being unused to this kind of climbing.

But, you would see these little old people, men and women, who went up and down the mountain without any problems.

You come to find out that these people do this everyday, as the way they great the morning. 79-80+ year old people, just up and down the mountain, then off to the job, rice fields or whatever.

Pretty cool.

So, I wonder if there are people who go up and down these steps everyday?
Probably.
Just like a walk in the park, after you have done it all your life.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Sweet. In a blizzard that would be pretty scary. If the sun is out, I'd be all over that. There are grannies on those pictures, how bad can it be?

I dont know about the pages whole "something this dangerious would never be permitted in the us" thing

Thats halfdome. Its one hell of a hike

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great pic!
Have you climbed Half Dome?

Those are not permanently installed lines, are they?

Or did they do that, to keep people from doing too much damage to the rock face?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Sure have! can't wait to do it again. My dream is to climb the cliff side.

The cables are semi permanent, they take them down every winter and put them back come summer time. There are boards every couple of yards giving a better place to step on. The biggest challange is really the 5 mile hike to get there, and the land of a thouthand stairs prior to the cables.
Without the cables and boards, you could still walk up it, assuming you had good sticky shoes, but it would be scary.

This gives a better idea of what the cables are like

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Those pictures were looking outstanding... right up until the one where they were walking across the small boards and holding on to the chains. No way in hell I could do that, even if I had the desire to.
Hey, K-Fed didn't have a problem.:D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Sure have! can't wait to do it again. My dream is to climb the cliff side.

The cables are semi permanent, they take them down every winter and put them back come summer time. There are boards every couple of yards giving a better place to step on. The biggest challange is really the 5 mile hike to get there, and the land of a thouthand stairs prior to the cables.
Without the cables and boards, you could still walk up it, assuming you had good sticky shoes, but it would be scary.

This gives a better idea of what the cables are like
I think I've seen that picture on http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/ :loser::twofinger

·
Registered
8,798 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aha Vash!
I got ya know!

When I was in Oz, I was able to climb Ayres Rock. They have a simiar system there.

I did not know that Half Dome had that system in place for people wanting to climb the rock, but not climb the cliffside!

Very cool!

However, I have heard people complain about the long hike necessary to get to the start of the climb. I thought they were talking about the cliffside climb, but now I know what they were refering too.

Still, it would be cool to do.

You know, before Global Warming melts Half Dome!! :laughing:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The hike is pretty intense. Me and a friend went to yosemite (sp?) to do some climbing, and figured we'd hike on our off day. Now we are both in reasonably good shape, and we set off on this hike at about 9am, with a couple of gallons of water and a few powerbars. We didnt come down till after it was dark, it was an all day thing. If it wasnt for the kindness of strangers feeding us (at the saddle, where the cables start this hottie took pitty on me and gave me a salami and peanut butter burrito. I didnt care what it tasted like) we wouldnt have made it.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
The hike is pretty intense. Me and a friend went to yosemite (sp?) to do some climbing, and figured we'd hike on our off day. Now we are both in reasonably good shape, and we set off on this hike at about 9am, with a couple of gallons of water and a few powerbars. We didnt come down till after it was dark, it was an all day thing. If it wasnt for the kindness of strangers feeding us (at the saddle, where the cables start this hottie took pitty on me and gave me a salami and peanut butter burrito. I didnt care what it tasted like) we wouldnt have made it.

Well there is your whole problem... you have to start out as a fatass with well built legs. Like me. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts