Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the 2002 RC-51's have even bigger throttle bodies than the previous year models,54mm-62mm. I get about 28-30 MPG, my cage gets 32MPG, and I thought this was horrible for a motorcycle. I was wondering how many 2002 owners out there are getting Gallons Per Mile...instead of Miles Per Gallon! The latest edition of Sport Rider stated 28-35 with 32 on the average. I find this very hard to believe:rolleyes: Please give me some real world numbers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MPG

horse power isn't cheep and you have to pay for it some how
hell my super hawk light comes on every 105 miles

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
joe fenech said:
Fuel light comes on after 100 miles every time.... Joe
Well lets see...4.8 gallon tank....subtract 1.2 gallon reserve.....100miles divided by 3.6 gallons=:eek: 27.777

I know horsepower costs fuel, but both of my GSXR-750's got close to 40MPG and they aren't exactly slugs. What about gearing or combustion chamber design; do V-twins simply use more fuel because "That is the nature of the beast," when compared to inline 4's:confused:

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's in the design............In-lines are far more fuel efficient than the V's. Look at it this way. Which gets the better gas mileage...........A Honda Civic 1.5 OR a Chevy Camaro L-88? ;)

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about displacement?

Jammin_Johnny said:
It's in the design............In-lines are far more fuel efficient than the V's. Look at it this way. Which gets the better gas mileage...........A Honda Civic 1.5 OR a Chevy Camaro L-88? ;)

Johnny

I would agree with you if you could give a more realistic example. You are not comparing apples to apples. Of course a 1.5liter engine uses less gas than a 5.7 liter:rolleyes: That is like comparing a M1A2 Abrams tank, 5 gallons just to start the damn thing, to a 5hp lawn mower. Can you clarify "Design" based on similar displacements.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Unfortunately..................There were not too many V's that were in production except for the Mopar 262, 283, 292 that would be close enough in displacement. ;)

But my original I stand by because of the following reasons. Like the L-88 the RC51 produces the torque disparity and as the L-88 drinks that much more fuel than the 1.5, so does the RC51 compared to the In-lines.

Example: RC-51 @ 27mpg, CBR600F3/4 @50+mpg, GSX-R750/1000 @ 40mpg....ETC..

Meaning, at the low end of the scale the fuel efficiency is that of 12mpg less than the "production" In-lines and at the upper end of the scale, a 23+mpg "diparity".

I LOVE FAST! :D

Johnny

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ouch!

Thats crazy bad gas mileage. On my cbr 900 I got close to 60mpg on a 8 hour trip and as a daily driver to and from work I get close to 50mpg.. But I do almsot all highway driving at 70mph. None of this stop and go stuff.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I get 100-110 on my hawk before the fuel light comes on, but I ride only in the city and accelerate hard almost all the time just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
have it made?! :confused: atleast you have a fuel light! :twofinger

haha, i just refill when i feel like it.

BTW, after you switch to reserve, how many miles do you have to as up? well, better yet, how big is my reserve? 1 gallon? 1.5?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts