Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep im excited, but trying not to get my hopes up too high and im not tryin to jump into a bad deal. I found it, a 98 CBR red/blk 9,000 miles, beautiful bike, all stock on ebay. The price seems low(NR) and I ahve yet to speak with the seller on the phone but im thinkin of bidding on it. I just hope I dont get outbid... now, how to break it to the parents since im still "under their roof". Here goes nothin:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mustang deal is signed and sealed. All the money was successfully transferred and the car is due to be picked up and shipped to New Mexico in about 3-4 days. Very smooth deal, I was / am very satisfied. My babys goin to a good home:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thats that.... Spoke with the seller and its mine:D

The deal is riding on a "handshake" right now, but he seems nice enough to trust. I have three options:

I am in NJ and the bike is in TN:

1) have it shipped from TN to NJ
2) wait until the last week of august when he will be in pittsburg and go pick it up myself (7hours each way)
3) have it shipped from pittsburg

Whaddya think? Im searching the sites now for some shipping companies, anybody know a good one? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Just my $.02

Congrats on the new bike man!! From the picture, she looks like she will be a good buy. If you are sure THAT is the bike you want, I would not wait, and I would go and pick the bike up A.S.A.P. Research shipping costs first, but if shipping is expensive, you can always drive to TN, rent a ONE-WAY trailer from a U-Haul in TN, and just take the drive. I suggest you ask a friend or parent to take the drive with you if they have the time. Plus, it is pretty cool taking last-minute road trips. :D

The reason I say pick the bike up A.S.A.P. is because of the following reasons:

1) A handshake is not a legal contract, and he has every right to sell the bike to someone who has the cash in-hand, and who is read to pick the bike up NOW. (people may seem "cool", but when it comes to money, it's always first come, first serve.)
2) If you wait, that gives him more time to ride the bike and possibly change the condition that it is "currently" in. i.e. a) he gets into a wreck between now and August and does not tell you about it. b) He rides the bike and puts more miles on it. etc. etc. etc.

Again, he may seem like he is a good guy, but you don't know him personally, and he does not know you. When you are dealing with that much money, you want to make sure you cover YOUR ass from all angles. I guarantee you he is going to cover HIS ass! Plus, if you go and pick the bike up, you can see the overall condition of the bike BEFORE you fork over the cash.
If going to pick the bike up is not an option for you, send the guy a disposable camera with the return postage paid. Have him use the camera to take pictures of the bike from every possible angle. Those disposable cameras can take anywhere from 14-27 shots. That picture that he put on e-bay could have been taken when he first got the bike, or shortly after.
I know my suggestions may sound like I don't have any trust, but you just have to be careful. Some people don't have any morals, and they will cheat you blind!!

I hope this helps, or at least gives you a few things to think about. Again, from that pic, the bike "seems" to be in good condition. Just be careful.

Good Luck Man, I wish you the best.

Later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, you make alot of good points that have been taken into consideration. I just cant pull the 18 hour drive to TN right now. Im looking into some shipping companies however since I dont want it wrecked while im waiting, and also because im having trouble waiting... ok off to work. thanks for the tips;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
i would make sure the bike runs, i had a buddy that bought a bike from a guy in michigan through ebay. My buddy drove from State College, PA to Michigan to pick the bike up, brought the bike back to State College, to find out that bike did not run. He drove back to Michigan to get his money back. however he was able to get the money returned.

Trying to help you out

jeremy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
I would do wo things

1] go see it ASAP, make sure it's really what you want and in the said condition

2] as LVR6 said, CLOSE the deal before something happens to screw it up.

My advice, (don't laugh), Greyhound

Cheap last minute tickets, sleep on the way there and be ready to head out as soon as the deal is closed, make it a two day trip through some of the best roads available to get home.

And if it doesn't pan out a return ticket is cheap too.

The advantage of this is getting to ride home via apalacian's. [SP]

If that's not appealing then do the drive and one way trailer as said above.

BEST of luck and it can be done, I went from Dallas to Detroit on the skinny dog express to get my YZF and don't regret it. The deal in Detroit fell through, rented a car one way to Chicago, sealed the deal on a pristine bike with low miles and at least a grand undervalue! (all found through www.cycletrader.com). Had a Great ride back to Dallas via the NW corner of Arkansas, big fun, good story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
apexismaximus said:
I would do wo things

1] go see it ASAP, make sure it's really what you want and in the said condition

2] as LVR6 said, CLOSE the deal before something happens to screw it up.

My advice, (don't laugh), Greyhound

Cheap last minute tickets, sleep on the way there and be ready to head out as soon as the deal is closed, make it a two day trip through some of the best roads available to get home.

And if it doesn't pan out a return ticket is cheap too.

The advantage of this is getting to ride home via apalacian's. [SP]

If that's not appealing then do the drive and one way trailer as said above.

BEST of luck and it can be done, I went from Dallas to Detroit on the skinny dog express to get my YZF and don't regret it. The deal in Detroit fell through, rented a car one way to Chicago, sealed the deal on a pristine bike with low miles and at least a grand undervalue! (all found through www.cycletrader.com). Had a Great ride back to Dallas via the NW corner of Arkansas, big fun, good story.
Apex, everytime I look up, I see posts of your ride back to Dallas via the NW corner of Arkansas. :) I still haven't made it that way yet, but I am making plans to check it out VERY soon!! I just picked up my new '02 R1 last Saturday, and this baby is still not broken in. If I head down to the NW corner of Arkansas and back, she will be ready for that first service, followed by some hard riding. :cool
Greyhound is a very good idea...."Go Greyhoud" LOL but, I personally am not too fond of those long-ass bus rides. Southwest Airlines has some pretty good deals on one-way tickets with 7 day advanced purchase. I hope everything works out for this guy. I have read too many horror stories about bikes being bought online, without the buyer even seeing the bike up close and personal.

Ride Safe All
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the pointers guys... never thought of takin a bus. One semi important bit of information I think I should include here is that I dont have my liscence yet nor have I taken the MSF course yet. As I imagine that ride from TN to NJ would be amazing, it would probably result in serious injury to me and my bike.

I've been keeping in contact with the seller calling him to ask random questions and im planning on sending out a deposit. I have a strong feeling the bike runs since he asked me if I was going to drive it home from pittsburg, but you never do know. Thanks for the tips everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
some info for you

i just took a greyhound bus to see a bike in st. paul minnesota, 28 hour trip - great fun actually, just one piece of advice, i don't care if the trip is 2 hours, take a PILLOW, if not for your head then for your back.. ARGHHHH those seats are so FU.. nevermind.. anyway, go look at it, and then SHIP IT... www.jcmotors.com , they're friggin' awesome - and cheaper then anything else you're going to find, just call their # and ask for Nick or Lynn... have fun ;] [edit] also, my first bike was a 954 and i got on it with no previous experience, and no msf course (go ahead and start flaming), it's fine and so am i, dad made me get an older bike - so i paid for my /new/ 1995 honda cbr 900rr, and once again, i am riding a 900cc bike with no previous experience or MSF course, but i also took about 48 hours of riding around in a parking lot to make sure i knew everything, and am taking very special caution to learning, i've also read quite a few books on it - so don't flame me too much :crying:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Kyle said:
Thanks for the pointers guys... never thought of takin a bus. One semi important bit of information I think I should include here is that I dont have my liscence yet nor have I taken the MSF course yet. As I imagine that ride from TN to NJ would be amazing, it would probably result in serious injury to me and my bike.

I've been keeping in contact with the seller calling him to ask random questions and im planning on sending out a deposit. I have a strong feeling the bike runs since he asked me if I was going to drive it home from pittsburg, but you never do know. Thanks for the tips everyone.
Hey Kyle, thanks for keeping us updated! If you don't have your motorcycle license yet, that is not that big of a problem. You will more likely have to rent a one-way trailer from U-Haul and just pull it back. (you do have your drivers license don't you? :) ) Since you won't be able to ride the bike back, you are probably going to have to either drive to TN, rent a trailer (about 14 bucks last time I chekced), and just pull the bike back. Or, if you bus it down there, someone with a credit card will have to rent a car for you. So, having the bike shipped may be your only option.
It's ultimately up to you, but if I were in your situation, I would by NO MEANS send this guy a deposit. You could sign a contract all day long with him, but if you sent him a deposit, and he decides to sell the bike to someone who gave him cash and was ready to pick the bike up that day, you would go through hell taking him to court to get your deposit back, etc. etc. etc. Giving deposits to private sellers is quite different than giving a deposit to a dealership. At a dealership, you draw up a "bill of sale" after you leave your deposit, and that is a legal, binding contract. Most of the times, they will take the bike off of the showroom floor. I know you are excited about this particular bike, but you may want to search for a bike that is maybe a bit closer. Yeah, I know how impatient a person can become when they want something bad enough, but you have to try and control that as much as you possibly can. Bikes are listed for sale daily in www.cycletrader.com
www.motofinder.com
www.motorcycleshopper.com
www.yahoo.com/classifeds
www.msn.com classifieds, and a few others. I will find them for you and post them as soon as I can. Who knows, you may even find a bike that is better, cheaper, and with lower miles than the one you are currently looking at.

Later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I spoke to him again this evening and you were right, he sold it to someone else:finger:

Just kidding!:twofinger Everythings all good. We made arrangements to meet outside of pittsburg and make the switch there. He is sending me the (signed) title to the bike and once I recieve that i am sending him a small deposit.

We're taking my buddies work truck, an UTZ Potato Chips delivery truck :D so it should be a good time. I feel im a pretty good judge of character and after my Nigerian Money Fraud incident, ive been doing my homework (you could call it stalking) on people that I plan to do business with...but i'll just keep that to myself.

If it doesnt for some reason work out, I give you all permission to say I TOLD YOU SO.

So stay tuned next week kids(Rocky and Bullwinkle music)... Will it be Kyle gets a beautiful first bike or Kyle gets screwed over once again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Kyle said:
Well I spoke to him again this evening and you were right, he sold it to someone else:finger:

Just kidding!:twofinger Everythings all good. We made arrangements to meet outside of pittsburg and make the switch there. He is sending me the (signed) title to the bike and once I recieve that i am sending him a small deposit.

We're taking my buddies work truck, an UTZ Potato Chips delivery truck :D so it should be a good time. I feel im a pretty good judge of character and after my Nigerian Money Fraud incident, ive been doing my homework (you could call it stalking) on people that I plan to do business with...but i'll just keep that to myself.

If it doesnt for some reason work out, I give you all permission to say I TOLD YOU SO.

So stay tuned next week kids(Rocky and Bullwinkle music)... Will it be Kyle gets a beautiful first bike or Kyle gets screwed over once again.
LMAO....:twofinger That sounds like a pretty good deal. Hell, you get a signed title without giving him any money???? That should be a pretty cool trip. There is nothing like taking a road trip with friends...especially in a potatoe chip truck!! :twofinger
If he gives you the signed title, you won't have to worry about him selling it to anyone else. Just make sure you get a picture of the actual VIN number, and make sure it matches up with the VIN on the bike. Also, you should take a cam corder and make a video of your trip (like the movie Road Trip) I would pay to see you guys pull that bike back with a potatoe chip truck. LMAO......Man, the things we do when we are young. :twofinger

I wish you the best of luck man. And, congrats on the new bike. Now I can stop searching for the classifieds links for you!! LMAO

Later
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top