Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
erf. i dragged a toe today for the first time on a turn. it was scary.

;)

-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
925 Posts
Put the balls of your feet on the pegs like they`re supposed to be and it won`t happen ;)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
As I put put around 42 yrs in dirt comp., I was always amazed at how those on street irons had their toes pointing down to the ground. On a dirt iron that would be a broken foot in no time.

As wantanaprilia says get the balls of your feet up on the footrests.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It was natural for me to put the balls of my feet on the footpeg, that's the way I've always ridden from the get-go. Lucky me.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I did the same thing. Drug my toe until someone told me i was riding wrong. Problem solved.(although i did feel awesome when i did it:) )

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just curious,

Is it better to be on the up on the balls of your feet or to have your right foot set to be able to use your rear brake. I can't do both at the same time.

I prefer to ride curves on the balls of my feet, but if I need to use the rear break I have to shift my weight to set my foot to use the brake.

Now I know that I should set my speed before entering the corner but I suppose the rear brake should be ready in case I need it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ddreg said:
Just curious,

Is it better to be on the up on the balls of your feet or to have your right foot set to be able to use your rear brake. I can't do both at the same time.

I prefer to ride curves on the balls of my feet, but if I need to use the rear break I have to shift my weight to set my foot to use the brake.

Now I know that I should set my speed before entering the corner but I suppose the rear brake should be ready in case I need it.
You don't want to use the brakes at all on a turn unless you SEVERLY misjudged your speed, if it's a tight turn brake before going into the turn and then slightly crack the throttle to get the weight transfered to the rear tire and the weight off your forks.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
No matter what one should be at home in applying the rear brake. That could mean making adjustments in its position & such.

It could come down to best of stopping power like RIGHT NOW & so both front & rear brakes need to be used. To many get the feel of the front brakes & claim that is all they use. Still not enough when it comes to the differences between a few feet of stopping while using both front & rear rather then just the front. The lost few feet could be one hitting a cage which could end up badly damaging one's bike &/or self.

Yes studies have been done to prove this a fact & even the use of engine compression to help in stopping is STILL not enough.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use the rear brake often but not when I turn. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the front brake is what you want to use if you go into a turn too hot. Since one will also be picking what gear they will use before entering a turn, part of my routine for entering a turn is moving both my feet into position so my bodyweight is on the balls of my feet and squeezed onto the pegs as best I can.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wally said:
I use the rear brake often but not when I turn. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the front brake is what you want to use if you go into a turn too hot. Since one will also be picking what gear they will use before entering a turn, part of my routine for entering a turn is moving both my feet into position so my bodyweight is on the balls of my feet and squeezed onto the pegs as best I can.
You're going to want to distribute braking between both, you don't want to hit the front brakes too hard because you'll have some huge fork dive, and you don't want to hit the rear brakes because it's pretty damn easy to lock it up... go easy on them both and you'll slow down a bit better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts