Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey... I've got a friend who has an Ipod that he uses when he rides... he has the ear phones in under his helmet... I was just kinda wondering everyones oppinion on this... I listen to my stereo in my truck LOUD!... but I know doing this I've gotta pay attention to the other cars around me more.... I'm just wondering sence it's so dangerous to ride (interms of looking out for cars) that is it worth the risk in your eyes to use the Ipod for short trips 30min or less?.... just wondering

~B~

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Driving a cage is simply compared to a m/c for a slight error or laps in thinking is enough to put the rider & bike all over the road while in a cage is nothing & most might be a minor fender-bender as cage stays upright with drive inside & protected.

While I have cassettes supply jazz or blues runing in my cage the volumn is very low for even in a cage the concentration is on the road & traffic.

To have music being pumped into my ear even at low volumn would be removing my concentration on the road & traffic for I feel 100% concentration on the road/taffic is a MUST to stay alive. So NO to pumping music into my mind along with trying to ride. Others will probably disagree, but I am speaking with my 58th year of riding coming up in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
one of the reasons why i ride is to escape. i like hearing the sound of my bike and the wind. thats all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have listened to music while riding a few times. I plan to use it more often for my 30-40 minute commute to school when the weather gets warmer. If I keep the volume at a decent level, the music just serves as background noise and doesn't act as a distraction. It's especially useful in traffic or on the highway where listening to your own thoughts can get boring. When I'm riding some of my favorite local roads, I don't need the music. :)

I use a MP3 player in my jacket along with a headphone cord extension with headphones wedged and velcroed in my helmet. I also bought an inline volume control extension where I can quickly turn down or turn off the music without digging in my jacket. My only problem right now is that the headphone cord extension is 20ft long (that was the only one available) so it is a bit bulky in my jacket.

Just as a disclaimer, if you're just starting off riding (you don't have a bike listed in your profile), keep possible distractions to a minimum. ;)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
For any grunt (short) run I still use soft ear plugs to cut down the noise even though I have good fitting Shoei helmets for the wind can deafen a person in a very short while. Naturally on longer runs as well for the stress is taken off when the wind noise is trimmed down.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SlowCBR said:
Just as a disclaimer, if you're just starting off riding (you don't have a bike listed in your profile), keep possible distractions to a minimum. ;)
Yeah... I think I'll be too buisy trying to keep me on top of the bike instead of vice versa!... I was just wondering....what some of your views were.... thanks:thumb:

:cheers:
~B~

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I like to listen to music on med to long length rides (20+ mins). It's not really worth hooking up the stuff for a quick shot around town to pick up some curb monkies.

As for listening to cars, I usually can't hear them on my bike anyway. And I don't think the music distracts me that much ( Unless TaTu comes on, then I have to pull over and punch the clown)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I was on another board when this very matter came up. Several pointed out that the whatever you use to listen to music will be so muffled by the wind that you will need to hike up the volumn even more & in no way will that help cut down the damage by the wind.

One did mentions that possibly ones that are inserted into the ears might be the answer.

So I leave it at that & it is up to you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I listen to music when I ride, but only on the highway and on trips over 1hr. I use sony EP-L something earphones, they actually work as earplugs (I use them as that with the music turned off) so I can both hear the music and save my hearing.

For perspective, our highways here are 1 lane in each direction, very empty and very straight. When I get into populated areas or more complex driving situations (more lanes, more intersecting roads or more twisty) I turn the music off and the plugs function just as earplugs.

Beginning riding, you really won't want the music. You'll probably feel like your travelling at lightspeed the first time you get up to highway/freeway speed and that can take awhile to get used to. If you're new, this is definately something I wouldn't worry about at this point, music only makes riding harder undeniably.

·
Registered
460 Posts
One thing about the Ipod is its a hard drive. I woudl suggest getting a mp3 player that has static memory(memory sticks) The ipod has moving parts and a bump or to can cause the head of the hard drive to become misalligned, there for rending the device useless. hard drives are just like CD's but are read like a record with a needle, not a laser.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
One thing about the Ipod is its a hard drive. I woudl suggest getting a mp3 player that has static memory(memory sticks) The ipod has moving parts and a bump or to can cause the head of the hard drive to become misalligned, there for rending the device useless. hard drives are just like CD's but are read like a record with a needle, not a laser.
I disagree. People use iPods for jogging all the time. The worst I've heard happening is that it will skip if banged around too much. The newer ones have like a 20min buffer. On a hard drive that small you would literally have to impact it so hard it would damage the unit before the HD would be damaged. But for just riding your bike it would work perfectly. RAM even makes a mount for the iPod now so you can take it with you while you bike/motorcycle ride. But, if you keep it in your jacket or on your waist...you'll never have a problem. :2cents:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Weather it will or will not happen is not my point. You can't disagree, my post states how the ipod is made and what makes it work. You can disagree with me that it will happen if you hit a bump or two. But if this will happen or when it happens is anybodys guess. My opinnion is if you want to listen to MP3's while being in motion the Ipod is not the best thing. Just my .02

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a chatterbox x1 unit that accepts any mp3 player. it has an easy to reach volume control but even with the volume at its lowest setting, the music is still pretty loud when not on the freeway. if you listen while riding, dont mess with songs or volume control or you might miss something.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to mention that part... after awhile I got sick of hitting the wrong buttons through my jacket pocket with the gloves on. I dug out this remote unit that came with my MiniDisc player (it was the "carkit model" one...) and velcro-ed the bottom of the remote as well as a little piece on my triple-tree, as well this velcro also works to hold a garage-door opener when I want. Makes it super easy, plug headphones into remote and you can change tracks/etc w/out any wrong button-pushing.

Again, I gotta stress this, don't listen to music in traffic. So many people say they don't hear cars anyway, or they can still hear them over the music... F_CK THAT, every bit helps when dealing with cages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a rca lyra mp3 player that holds about 90 songs with some earplug type headphones.

i love it. at highway speeds i can hear the music and any horn blasting, tires screaching..etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
Weather it will or will not happen is not my point. You can't disagree, my post states how the ipod is made and what makes it work. You can disagree with me that it will happen if you hit a bump or two. But if this will happen or when it happens is anybodys guess. My opinnion is if you want to listen to MP3's while being in motion the Ipod is not the best thing. Just my .02
I have to agree with Edge the IPOD is somewhat fragile as are all hard drives. I've had 13 yes 13 ipods in the last 6yrs all were replacements except the first.

I use it every day in the cage or the bike. I use etymotic er4 phones on the bike which COMPLETELY (28db of noise reduction, better than most ear plugs)block out the world.

I was too at first concerned with not hearing the traffic around me. Then I bought my first arai RX7RR and it was so loud I started wearing earplugs to block out the wind noise, and since I cant hear anyway I might as well be listening to some tunes.

Whether or not YOUR comfortable is a decision only you can make.

·
Registered
6 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
No it didn't state how it works, you're an idiot
Hard drives work with a magnetic head sensor floating over a platter, not a needle, did you really think hard drives carved pits into metal every time they wrote?
It takes a lot to lose the Ipod's buffer, and it can't be beat HD space per $ wise

·
Registered
243 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
HD's are not that fragile, I have an MP3 player that runs from a HD, no problems yet from using it on the bike. The head of a HD does not contect the platter under normal situations, extreme impacts in the wrong directions can cause a head crash which can damage the media, a lot of "can's" that I have yet to have had happen. But I will say that I try to put the player in the tank bag in such a way that road bumps can't cause a head crash. As in do NOT lay the player flat in the tank bag, put it on it's side.

James.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Just a friendly little reminder from one of your moderators: please refrain from using personal attacks on this board, as they are a violation of the member agreement.

I seem to be doing this a lot on here lately :rolleyes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
matt007 said:
No it didn't state how it works, you're an idiot
Hard drives work with a magnetic head sensor floating over a platter, not a needle, did you really think hard drives carved pits into metal every time they wrote?
It takes a lot to lose the Ipod's buffer, and it can't be beat HD space per $ wise
Thanks for the tech lesson. I understand how a hard drive works thank you, but not everyone is going to understand it if I stated like you did. It makes more sense to most people if they think of it like an old record player, its the same concept. Just completely two different technology’s.
And I will still stand by my opinion that the Ipod is the best device for listening to music while riding. That is my opinion. Opinions are what make forums a great thing, because everyone has a different view on things.
As for the personal attract, I could care less. Your over 3k miles from me, And your postings in the future that I read will have less creditability. God I can’t believe I just wasted 5 min of my life on this shit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts