Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help to reform a kid I know before hekills him self. His DAD bought him a 96 900RR this is his first bike ever. He hasen't even mastered the clutch yet ( he stalled it twice pulling out of the gas station) and he was bragging about doing 130mph. Hedoes were a helmet but thats it. oh and he doesn't have his motorcycle endorsement. any help/ advice you can give me will be appreicated. I was thinking about printing the thread out and giveing it to him.

Thanks,
Kyle

S

·
0 Posts
The_CB_Kid said:
I need help to reform a kid I know before hekills him self. His DAD bought him a 96 900RR this is his first bike ever. He hasen't even mastered the clutch yet ( he stalled it twice pulling out of the gas station) and he was bragging about doing 130mph. Hedoes were a helmet but thats it. oh and he doesn't have his motorcycle endorsement. any help/ advice you can give me will be appreicated. I was thinking about printing the thread out and giveing it to him.

Thanks,
Kyle
Let 748_Abuser take him for a ride in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
There isn't much you can do other than voice your opinion.. Also, just my opinion, I wouldn't ride with the moron...I'd tell him flat out (as I have many new riders) that I won't ride with them until they have taken an MSF course and demonstrated to me that they aren't complete screwups.....

Speak your piece and walk away...thats all you really can do, because he's gonna do what he wants anyway

S

·
0 Posts
RedNinja said:
There isn't much you can do other than voice your opinion.. Also, just my opinion, I wouldn't ride with the moron...I'd tell him flat out (as I have many new riders) that I won't ride with them until they have taken an MSF course and demonstrated to me that they are complete screwups.....

Speak your piece and walk away...thats all you really can do, because he's gonna do what he wants anyway

Ya, good advice. If you do ride with him, Ride behind him. Don't forget to compliment him on his skill of getting the bike to 130... Don't think anyone here can do that.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Maybe you ought to print out this thread and show it to his dad. I've got a feeling he has no clue about the position he put his kid in....moron. Not just for buying him the bike, but from your description, the obvious lack of interest dad is taking (no liscence/MSF course). Did he buy him any protective gear (boots/leathers/gloves)?

Better yet, print this out and show it to his mom. The last thing we all need is another stain on the road driving up our insurance rates.

Oh yeah, "I wouldn't ride with the moron...I'd tell him flat out..."- Ditto

·
Registered
873 Posts
I disagree with labelling the KID a moron, hes just a kid afterall... i think its his Dad or parents who are the real morons here... They are the ones who need to be woken up. The kid will be a kid no matter what, without responsible parenting.

Pretty freakin scary sh*t!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with Redninja. I forgot where they sell some motorcycle accidents to where the rider died or became handicap. So, you can show it to him just like the traffic school instructor does. May be by seeing all this he would be careful and take the MSF course. At first I was like him. I wanted an R1; however, after I took the MSF course my mind changed completely, and I have a lot of respect for any bike because it is not the bike that gets you in trouble, it is the rider.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
GreenNinja said:
I disagree with labelling the KID a moron, hes just a kid afterall... i think its his Dad or parents who are the real morons here... They are the ones who need to be woken up. The kid will be a kid no matter what, without responsible parenting.

Pretty freakin scary sh*t!
It's his Dad I was talking about.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
some suggestions to save this kid's a$$

Well, lots of good advice and opinions from all those who replied! But here are perhaps the 2 best suggestions:

Take him to your local hospital to speak to ER/Trauma doctors and staff. Most ERs keep photo journals of serious traumas and injuries for training/instructional purposes. If you take the time to stop by the hospital and meet some of the staff ahead of time to explain your situation most ER staff will be glad to set some time aside to talk with this kid. You might even be able to arrange for him to spend some time in the ER and see actual traumas.

The other option is to take him to your local police station. Same as the hospital, most police departments keep photos of serious accidents. Stop by ahead of time and explain the situation. Schedule some time with a police officer who can talk to this kid and maybe show him some photos.

I have a few doctors and police officers in my family, and I can tell you that giving the "scared straight" speech to young guys is a regular part of their jobs. In fact, many hospitals and police departments have designated staff who specialize in giving speeches and presentations to kids who need it! And you'd be surprised how quickly a kid snaps back into reality when he sees pictures of accidents and hears first-hand stories from adults who's job it is to clean up the mess when kids make stupid mistakes!!!

Whichever you choose to do (or maybe both) it will take a little bit of leg-work from you to set everything up. But the impression I get from reading your thread is that you care about this kid and really do want to help him, so I'm sure you won't mind setting things up for him. You should bring the kid's father too, sounds like he needs it!!!

Ride Safe,
Dan

ps - it's good to see that you're taking the time to help this kid before something bad happens!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
if you feel you must take a more active approach to hindering his riding you could "disable" his bike. although beware the karma. oh yea and hit his dad in the head with a tack hammer. fricken moron........:mad:

·
Registered
254 Posts
O.K....let's see...

1. Buys kid with no experience an CBR900RR.

2. Doesn't buy kid protective gear.

3. Doesn't make sure kid takes MSF course and gets endorsement.

4. Stands by while kid stalls bike twice trying to get out of service station so he can make a top-speed run on a guided missle he has no idea how to operate.

Yep, the parents are definitely trying to kill the kid. He must be a real pain-in-the-ass. Just think about it..the perfect murder. Got a kid that's giving you a lot of heartburn? Just buy him a land rocket...problem solved in due time. Much cheaper than a hit man, and just as reliable. No criminal charges, no annoying murder investigations.

Seriously, these parents are NITWITS! You have to try to reason with the kid...even offer to go take the course with him, even if you already have taken it. It won't hurt you to do it again. Try to convince him that it ain't cool to ride like that. Especially if you crash. You may be the only thing standing between him and a messy demise. That doesn't mean you have to devote your life to trying to save him if he refuses to listen, but an honest effort is definitely in order here.

If you do ride with him, keep enough distance between you that you don't get tangled up in it if he goes down. When you see him f*ck up, such as blowing out of his lane in a corner or riding too fast for conditions, or pulling some sqid stunt, you need to be on him like a drill instructor. Tell him that effectively, he just died. Maybe if you can make him feel stupid about riding that way, he'll start to come around. If he won't listen, then just stay away from him. Believe me, you don't want to be there when he bites it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What's the name of that squid website again? He really needs to see those pictures. I hope I never meet up with him. He'll probably get us both killed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
While I have to agree that the father is less than responsible, I have to say his intent was probably not to kill the kid.. although given the cercumstances there may be a good case for manslaughter.

I don't know how old thekid is, but being a never fully grown adult myself, kids usually think they are invincable and it could never happen to them. The hospital or police station may work, but think it is a tough sale.

Working in sales ans alot of negotiation under my belt. I you want to convince someone to do something it has to be thier idea. My suggestion is have the father in a calm way tell his son that he really thinks the kid should take the MSF before he can really ride alot. Have him get the kid gear, and if the father rides (i dont know) he should ride with him till he gets better. One has doen those things I would then talk about saftey and responsibility.

Until then, anthing you say would probably be like talking to a brick.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went over to that kids house to try and talk some sence into him today. And I talked to his dad and asked him if he thought the bike was a little too big for him he just smiled and said "it's only one liter" I tried to explain that it's not like a car engine and the power to weight is allot different, but he is just as pig headed as his kid. I have just about given up on this kid. I just hope when he crashes he will get scared away form bikes. thanks for the responces I will in a cupple days print the thred out and give it to him.

P.S. I will never ride with this kid or people like him, to bad they make up about 80% of the motorcycle community around here.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sheesh, this really hits home for me and really aggravates the SH*% out of me or in other words "pisses" me off. I'm 45 years old and buried my oldest son two and one half years ago. He was 21 then and died because he tried a Cocaine and Heroin combination for the second time. I talked and talked about the dangers of drugs to both of my sons 'til I was blue in the face. I did not have any control of the situation after they left home. But, I ride a motorcycle and have for years, and if my youngest son, now 22, wanted a bike, my advice would be the MSF course, and maybe a Kaw 250EX or at most the 500 Ninja, anything bigger I might as well give him a 12 pack of beer and my car and just say go kill yourself, Son. Just my thoughts. Tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, if this board reaches the father I have a note for him...

Dear "Dad",

While I dont know you or your son, I'd dont like seeing peoples lives shattered of ignorance and stuborness. Why the people in this is a mystery. When god forbid you have to bury your son or wipe his ass for the rest of his life you will think back to teh difference you could have made.

I have burried a few friends and have lived to see others never walk or f**k again. The truth is the bike are dangerous, more so sportbikes even to most responsible and experianced around us.

Think twice on how you can eqiup your son to better handle himself on such a bike.

If you think 1 litre is small, well, its about as big as they come. it'll do 0-60 in sub 3 seconds and top out well over 170 MPH. If you have any doubts, take it for a spin.

The way I check the power of a bike is stand still while in first, wind the throttle all the way and pop the clutch. You may feel a slight "discomfort" by doing this, but I am sure you will learn to respect the awsome power of the bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Take him to a nursing home and let him see what it is like to have someone wipe your ass and feed you through a tube in your stomach. If that doesn't work, than ask to be his life insurance benificiary.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
It's a very sad day...

It's disheartening to sit here, reading the many replies to this thread, knowing that every person who responded feels as helpless and frustrated as I do. But perhaps even more disheartening is knowing the mortal danger this moron of a "father" has placed his son in.

I'm always saddened when the occassional thread appears on SBW announcing the death of a fellow rider. Whether it be through rider error or that of a cager, we as a community are regularly reminded of the risks associated with our beloved sport. But still, I sit here silently, knowing that the next death I read about on SBW may very well be that of this young man!

It's a sad day for every rider when we lose one of our own. But it's an even sadder day when we do nothing to prevent it!

The kid's father has proven himself to be a complete moron! Needless to say, this kid needs some adult guidance. As a sportbike rider, you should feel a responsibility to teach him. As an adult, you should feel a responsibility to protect him. And as his friend you should smack him upside his thick head any time he does something stupid on that bike!

I wish you luck in saving this kid!!!

Ride Safe,
Dan

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I have to interject here. I'm just glad that you posted and answered your own question. I just wish the users in my Forum were that efficeint :D

Seriously, it's not cool what's going on here - but some people (Like me) are unreachable and have to learn everything the hardway. Hopefully it won't be at the expensive of his mobility or worse, his life.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts