Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that someone from the T.E.A.M. Arizona organization was thinking of hosting a winter racing sieres at Arizona Motorsports Park. If this is true, I know about 8-9 local racers that would be VERY interested. Even Vincent Hascovik is thrilled. Is this rumor true? Will it ever see fruition? God, I hope so. Please, make it happen. If there's anything I can do to help, feel free to e-mail me!!! [email protected] I think a winter racing season would bring a TON of attention to AMP and T.E.A.M AZ. I really hope it happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the rumor were true......we'd be working out class structures about now. As an old-bike enthusiast I would want to see a structure that will accomodate all of those ex-racebikes that are cluttering garages all over the western U.S.

Mark

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
darn. I was really hoping that it would happen. Has anyone brought this subject up before? If not, it may be worth looking in to! It would be sweet to have vintage races out there, too. It would give me a good reason to get the 'ol BSA racing again, instead of just runing track-days with it. Do you think that it's even feasable to run a winter series out there? I think that the local interest is already here, we just need a place to race in the WINTER!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK, so much for sarcasm.

We ARE working on a winter racing series. We'd begin when CCS ends. Our season would finish in the spring, as CCS picks back up again.

You can bet that as long as I am involved there will be a place to run dinosaurs.

Are you racing AHRMA at Firebird at the end of the month? You should!

Mark

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you racing AHRMA at Firebird at the end of the month? You should!

lol...noooo way. The BSA is being stored in a garage in So. Cal. Engine needs to be gone through...hell, EVERYTHING needs to be gone through! Haven't raced it since 1992...(I was still in High School then!) and my friend hasn't raced it since 2000. The bike has been sitting ever since. Besides, I still have to get a couple things for the R-1 before it's really race-ready for your winter season!!!! As soon as you guys get all of the classes together, please post 'em. I hope we can run slicks in the liter-class, because I have a giant stack of Pirelli Soft slicks ready to go!!!!! Please keep us posted!

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Mark Weiss said:
We ARE working on a winter racing series. We'd begin when CCS ends. Our season would finish in the spring, as CCS picks back up again.
WOO HOO! :thumb: :thumb:

You can bet that as long as I am involved there will be a place to run dinosaurs.
So are you talking about the bikes or riders? ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How are the plans for the winter season coming? We're all still very interested, and the R-1 is still being prepped for the winter season. Please let us know the rules & technical spec.s for each class ASAP!

What I mean is...can I build the motor of the R-1 to AMA Formula Extreme rules, or will there be restrictions?

Also, I assume all AMA GSX-R 750 Superstock bikes will be legal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any new news on that winter racing? The bike is almost done! Should I make it AMA legal? If so, Should I make it Superbike, or can I build it to Formula Extreme? Please let us know ASAP!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
We are still working things out, but there is no need to worry, you'll be able to run whatever you build. This is not a National Series, it's just for wintertime fun. The class structure is being designed to accomodate just about anything.

We don't want to get caught up in a mess of rule scrutinizing, so the classes will have minimal restrictions. Older bikes, bikes with fewer than four cylinders, will likely be able to drop classes.

For instance, a 2003 GSXR 1000 will run in the top class, a 1991 GSXR 1000 will run one class down, a 1983 GS1150 will run three classes down, etc. If a particular model is not competitive, or dominates, we'll probably re-class those specific models.

Getting into Superbike, Supersport, Superstock is too much of a mess and will quickly become more work than fun. Although, we are considering allowing bikes with stock airboxes, filters, and exhaust, to drop a class.

If all falls into place, we'll probably start in late October.

Mark

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can understand how you guys don't want to get all bogged down with a ton of rules, etc. But I just don't want to show up for the first race and get DQ'd for anything. Everybody I know is REALLY excited about this. Again, if there's anything I can do to help out, I will donate all the time I can! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yup..

I hear ya schpreck... I'm looking forward to this as well.

Mark-If there's anything you need help with, let me know, I'd be happy to do what I can. I'm sure alot of other folks (like schpreck) would like to help as well to get this off the ground.

Do you have an idea of how many classes there will be? The guys at Arroyo Secco seem to have it going pretty well for a small race organization. Haven't raced there, but I hear a lot of good things. Not too many classes... but still having fun. Sponsers, contigency money, prizes, etc.

Thanks,
patrick
#93 SW AM CCS

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am shopping insurance underwriters at the moment. If you know of any underwriters for amateur racing events, let me know. More choice will yield better rates.

Mark

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is a snapshot of what we are considering:

Three modification categories:
1. GP: anything goes
2. Stock: just like it sounds. Full airbox, stock fuel system (rejetting OK) and original style exhaust. (no Ti), DOT tires.
(MAYBE: 3. Clubman: Limited mods, DOTs, intended to allow non-mainstream bikes to race. Not for all classes.)

Classes:
F1: Open fours
F2: 750 class, big twins
F3: 600 class
F4: SV class, older 600/fours
F5: Lightweight (500 twins)
F6: Ultralight
V1: Large displacement old bikes
V2: Mid displ. old bikes
V3: Small displ. old bikes
T1: Big 'Tards
T2: Little 'Tards

Some races will use multi-class & multi-wave grids.

Novice: separate races from Experts.
N1: Large disp
N2: Mid disp
N3: Lightweight

Not yet engraved in stone though.

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got turned on to this thread from a fellow CCS member and wanted to throw in my .02 cents. As a racer from Vegas, it would be incredible to have another series, Winter or otherwise to race in. Quite a few friends any I have discussed this many times and you would assuredly have our support. So, if there's anything that I can do to help you out in making this a full on reality, just tell me what to do.

I'm not sure if it would ever be possible, but if the track here in Vegas could get added as a racing spot over the winter, it would be icing on the cake. Regardless, if the races are only going to be in AZ, that's fine too and I'd be at every one possible.

Jay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts