Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I dont really hate it....BUT I AM LOOKING FOR A REASON TO! Im a die hard honda rider (929rr) and my buddies all own GSXR's (750 and 2 1000's) and i cant stand them making fun of my 929 anymore. I can outride 2 of em based on skill, but its not enough defense. They keep hitting me with the hard numbers (quarter time weight power) I need some ammunition!! help me here! this should stir up some muddy water..... i know all yall love em too....there has to be another red rider out there who will come to my aid!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Llamafood said:
ok I dont really hate it....BUT I AM LOOKING FOR A REASON TO! Im a die hard honda rider (929rr) and my buddies all own GSXR's (750 and 2 1000's) and i cant stand them making fun of my 929 anymore. I can outride 2 of em based on skill, but its not enough defense. They keep hitting me with the hard numbers (quarter time weight power) I need some ammunition!! help me here! this should stir up some muddy water..... i know all yall love em too....there has to be another red rider out there who will come to my aid!
Just be patient, the Suzukis will blow-up soon enough :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
im pretty true to the red,BUT I do own a gixxer right now and as much as I hate to say it, I love it, its got 41k on it and runs like a dream . i can take about all the 900 rrs on speed, power, handling, nothing much to bitch about. sorry I thought I was going to back you up, ooops!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Something I do to pick on the GSXR riders here is when I see them pull up on their 750 or 1000 I just ask, "How do you like the new 600... Oh sorry that's a 750." Or, "That's pretty fast for a 600." :D

They apparently have a shortage of people in the design department. They are like the Japanese Ducati. "Ahh skwew it, juss use 600 pwastic. Nobody know da diffwence."

·
Registered
298 Posts
Llamafood said:
Im a die hard honda rider (929rr) and my buddies all own GSXR's (750 and 2 1000's) and i cant stand them making fun of my 929 anymore.
There's nothing quite as tiresome as "spec sheet jockeys" who natter endlessly about how good their bikes are...on paper. They're kinda like guys who brag about the size of their, uh, equipment, but never actually get laid.

Let 'em crow about the latest 6-way comapro or their $2000 pipe-n-jet job; if they can't catch me on a bit of twisty pavement, it don't mean squat. I especially enjoy going faster than the big-mouths when I'm on a bike that's unquestionably inferior to theirs. At the end of the ride, they get reeeeeaaaallll quiet if they couldn't keep up with my wheezy little Hawk GT--and it does happen.

Work hard on your riding. Read Code's Twist of the Wrist II. Go out and practice when your buddies aren't around. Attend a track school and don't tell them about it. Then, after you've left them in the dust, concede humbly that your lowly 929 really isn't up to the standards set by the almighty GSXR, but you were just having a "good day." After a string of "good days," you'll hear less and less about the Gixxer's superiority.

·
Registered
85 Posts
All you fools are jealous of the almighty GSXR :twofinger

Seriously, if you can beat these guys, then challenge them everytime someone quotes you a performance number. That will shut them up. In my opinion, there are no bad motorcycles out there. As for Gsx-r, Cbr, R1 /R6, ZX... they are all plenty fast. I test drove pretty much everything (except 2002 R1 and the European twins) before I bought mine, and trust me, its the RIDER, not the machine. The ony reason I chose the Gix750 was the howl of the air intakes, and exaust at around 14,000rpms - I instantly got a boner :D Any of those other bikes will beat mine, in numbers at least.

The only time these numbers mean anything is on the track riding at 100%.

BTW, what does the GP results have anything to do with a GSXR or CBR :confused: A good comparision would be a true open class supersport class - NOT Formula Extreme. I hope the AMA gets rid of the 750 SS and replace them with CBRs, Gix 1000, R1s & ZX-9s.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
just tell 'em, "if my bike sucks that bad and you were that far behind me...well, maybe for the sake of your precision little ego, i should keep the 929."

however, they are right. you know why suzuki breakdown so often?

so yamaha riders can catch up to them :p

btw, i own one of each, i can make that comment. and i wish my yamaha was half as dependable as my suzuki.

·
Registered
174 Posts
BFD they have numbers. Numbers mean jack squat. We all know it's the rider and not the bike. Sure they can probably get going faster than you can, but ANY squid can go fast from stop light to stop light on ANY bike. And besides, where, in the real world, are they going to be able to actually apply those numbers? Where can they use those mega-horsepower numbers on the street? Uh, lemme see....NO WHERE! Maybe you guys should schedule a track day or something. Then if you are the better rider, you can show them who's boss. A show of skill on the track means more than numbers published in ANY magazine any day. In my opinion, anyone who rides big bore sportbikes is just compensating for a small p3cker. :twofinger I akin them to all the "fast and furious" wanna be jap car drivers. They sink all that money into a car so it can run a sub 10 sec 1/4 mile, but drive them on the street. Makes no sense to me. I like to wheelie and wave as I pass them. :D Of course, that's just MY opinion....I could be wrong......

·
Registered
515 Posts
my old 98 gixer 750 can out run any 929...

ive done it....and my brothers 02 gixer 750 kicks my butt...i run the ass off my bike, and its still going strong..the 750 suzuki is raced right out of the box..i think that speaks volumes on its reliability...Lamafood learn to eat crap, or get a susuki...they build the fastest bike in each of their classes..:cool:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Re: my old 98 gixer 750 can out run any 929...

spongebob said:
get a susuki...they build the fastest bike in each of their classes..:cool:
Not true in the 600 class:twofinger & I'm not talking paper wars here but head to head real world street riding. Twisty or straight line GSXR is not the class leader.
I do give the nod to their 750. It's just damn fast. Although I think they can be outrun in tight twisty stuff by an accomplished rider on the R6 the gixxer will go by when everything starts to straighten out into big sweepers or long straights

·
Registered
515 Posts
well if its not the top dog in the 600 class..

you better tell it to arron yates...cause he's kickin ass and takin names.................

·
Registered
298 Posts
Give it a rest

I wish y'all would just give it a rest. There simply isn't enough performance variation among sportbikes to make a scintilla of difference in real-world riding with real-world riders.

For example, at Road Atlanta, about a half-second covered the top five 600 Supersport qualifiers--3 Suzukis, a Yamaha, and a Kawasaki. Nor is there much difference between classes. Polesitter Jamie Hacking's Supersport qualifying time would have put him 10th on the Superbike grid, 11th in Formula Extreme, and 2nd in 750 Supersport (aka "Superstock").

What this means is that if you outrun a buddy on a twisty bit of road, it's because you're a better rider than he is, not because your bike is faster. Conversely, if you're riding with Aaron Yates, he on an SV650 and you on a GSX-R1000, he's going to clean your clock, wipe up the tarmac with you, leave you for dead.

That immutable truth has yet to become clear to some of you. Don't worry, it will one day. Perhaps you'll be out a nasty mountain road on your brand-new, tricked-out literbike, and some dork on a rusty old Yamaha XT500 rails around you on the outside of a tight right-hander as if you were standing still. Or, maybe it'll come on a track day when a geezer on a BMW outbrakes you into Turn 2 at Laguna and scares the chit out of you with the sparks coming off his left valve cover.

The obvious conclusion is that a new bike will not make you faster. Nor will a pipe or a jet-kit or any of that other stuff we spend thousands of dollars on. If you want to go faster, learn how to ride faster.

·
Registered
85 Posts
DataDan: you are making too much sense and spoiling all the fun :crying:

"Faster" is a very relative term. There was a bike test recently where a 600 got the best lap times on a certain track - beating even all the big bore bikes. So its all trash talk until the shit talkers and you go out to Assen and complete a few laps. I bet you if all you guys switch bikes, the results be different everytime. They are all too close to call.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Last bike was a CBR929RR, current bike is the GSX-R1000. They're both great bikes, so here's the score, in my opinion:

PROS & CONS:

Honda: much better paint finish, doesn't wear as fast
Honda: higher resale value
Honda: might barely have the edge in the looks department (IMO)
Honda: sharper lighter handling
Honda: steers better in the wet
Honda: more upright seating position
Honda: better dealer (warranty, services, etc.)
Honda: slight edge in reliability

GSXR: better fuel injection, throttle response, power delivery
GSXR: better torque, better power (on the 1000 anyway)
GSXR: better lean angle
GSXR: better stability while leaning
GSXR: better confidence in the handling dept.
GSXR: better chassis/suspension for bumps and rough surfaces
GSXR: cushier seat

It's all down to taste and preference. There's no reason for ragging on a guy with a 929RR as it's one of the finest bikes around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've only been riding sport about 6 weeks and my little brother whips my ass thru the mountains on his 85 KZ750. As soon as I catch up on the straight he dusts me in the turns. It's all about the rider.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts