Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent a whole day puttin a new timing assembly in a 94 cavalier I baught figuring I would just fix it up a resell it(hey it's an easy way of makeing money). Got it done went to fire it up and and it wouldn't start. Turns out the engine is shot. After talking to a mechanic freind I found out it's easier to just pull the engine and put a junkyard engine in.Then I got on the mechanic helper computer thingy to get the step by step on how to pull the engine. I found out the engine comes out form underneath the car!!!! to get it out you have to remove the entire front suspetion. and it's going to take waaaaay longer than I thought. Why do car designers make cars so hard to work on? The good thing is i'm still going to make about a $1800-$2000 profit :D

Thanks for lettin me rant :D

------------------
Kyle M. m/16 Noblesville,IN

If you're a poser and you know it, clap your hands.

"Big Dick's HARDCORE Road Racing School, where we drag more than our knees."

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
That's a simple answer. Job security , they design cars with this in mind. The harder it is for the backyard mechanic to work on a vehicle, more revinue for their service dept.

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Man, talk about easy money, where do I sign up :rolleyes: . Sorry dude but $2000 sounds like it'll only cover your labor in that job. If you love to work on cars I guess it could be worth it to you though? Good luck.

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not all car designers create equal headaches. British sports cars, in my experience, were extremely easy to work on. Good thing too, as they broke down constantly. I used to carry a shop manual, a toolbox, and spare parts in the trunk of my MG.

Last winter I sold a 1993 Acura Legend and replaced it with a 2000 Volvo S70 after discovering how expensive Acuras are to maintain. The local dealer wanted $985 to change the timing belt, $300 for high pressure brake hoses (every 30k miles!), and $600 for the scheduled 50k maintenance. Replacing the timing belt on the Volvo costs $185 if I have the dealer's service department do it.

Now I know why Acuras are so reliable. Put that kind of money into a car and anything, even a Chevy Cavalier, will be reliable. Volvoas may be boring, but at least they're relatively cheap to maintain. And mine has a five-speed manual.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You are correct about the British cars. If they ran as good as Honda's I would be out of a job.

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

1 - 5 of 5 Posts