Sportbike World banner

I had a revelation!!!!!!

8K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  krash954 
#1 ·
I found the bike that I want that I skipped before cause the price tag, but that's all changed!!!!!!!! Worried about how fast it is? Sure the bike is fast, what bike isn't? But, this precious lil jewel has a vtec engine. The bike runs on only two cylinders till 7000 rpm. After that reaches 7000 rpm, the vtec kicks in and the other 2 cylinders start crankin. You guessed it!!! I am finally picking this bike for my ultimate no other bike needed bike for good!! I am finally gonna pick the Honda Interceptor!!!!!! it might be alot of money, but I will definately work for it. Some may say, just shut up and leave me alone!! Stop talking about something you will never get!!! Know what I say, I don't care what ya think!!! I am posting this to say, HAAA!!! Also, for all those kind hearted people who will wish me good luck on my first bike purchase :).

#2 ·
UUUUMMMMM.................. I don't quite think that is how it works. I am no mechanic but it always runs on all 4 cylinders. VTEC stands for variable timing electronic control if I'm not mistaken. Which means the timing advances with the throttle, not all or nothing! Again I could be wrong but that is my understanding of it!

#6 ·
Actually it means that it runs with 2 valves per cyl until around 7000 and then th eother 2 com ein toi play and it runs on all 4 valves per cylinder.
The system works with hydraulic pressure and is quite effective.
I suppose that before you hand out the cash, you can buy am magazine with a test of the bike of your dreams to see what it is and what it isn't?
Did you know it also has linked brakes :( ?

Shame on you boys making fun of the old man's dream :D

Aris

#7 ·
kismet_710 said:
But, this precious lil jewel has a vtec engine.
Ya, and it's (VTEC) not a bug, it's a feature! (where have I heard that before) :rolleyes:
I've thought 'bout a VFR on a couple of occasions in the past, but they seem to be going backwards with the design, etc. Considered a previous version with Givi bags for a good all-purpose machine, but it just never panned out. I never really much cared for a V4 engine either, but it was gonna be used as a tool/workhorse, so ? Guess I'm just an inline-4 fan.

#8 ·
test mag

check out the Feb 2002 issue of Motorcyclist , there's a pretty good article on the Interceptor in it. it even gives a description on how the Vtec works. (pretty sure it runs on all 4 cylinders all the time, :p :p ) the vtec has been used for some time now in the cars honda puts out (not sure how long) so a lot of the bugs should be worked out. thats a plus.

#9 ·
Re: test mag

reggbl said:
check out the Feb 2002 issue of Motorcyclist , there's a pretty good article on the Interceptor in it. it even gives a description on how the Vtec works. (pretty sure it runs on all 4 cylinders all the time, :p :p ) the vtec has been used for some time now in the cars honda puts out (not sure how long) so a lot of the bugs should be worked out. thats a plus.
VTEC changes the CAM timing.

#10 ·
Re: test mag

reggbl said:
...vtec has been used for some time now in the cars honda puts out (not sure how long) so a lot of the bugs should be worked out. thats a plus.
Already read the article, and even the boyz at Motorcyclist (AKA Mitch “Honda” Boehm) couldn't bring themselves to fawn over the new VFR. 'Course, they probably could, but I'm thinking they've heard enough negative feedback that they're probably just going with the flow.

From what I hear (and had already decided for myself), VTEC on a motorcycle is pretty much useless. Like desmodromic valve trains (in this day of improved metallurgy/valve springs), VTEC (on the VFR) is just a marketing ploy, mainly for those enamored with technology simply for technology’s sake.

Don't even get me started on linked braking systems...:barf:

#11 ·
let the flaming begin :(

I know I screwed up it runs two valves per cylinder not two cylinders I felt like a total butt when I read the article last night. atleast I realised my mistake on that, which isn't really a big deal anyways, just another thing you can light on fire and shove up my butt!! :twofinger :finger:

#13 ·
Re: Re: test mag

basicblur said:

From what I hear (and had already decided for myself), VTEC on a motorcycle is pretty much useless. Like desmodromic valve trains (in this day of improved metallurgy/valve springs), VTEC (on the VFR) is just a marketing ploy, mainly for those enamored with technology simply for technology’s sake.

Don't even get me started on linked braking systems...:barf:
The marketing boys at Honda say the VTEC is for power, the engineers are probably laughing 'cause they know it was done to meet tough emissions laws. The VFR is one of the cleanest running bikes out there.

As for linked braking systems: I think you've been reading too many magazines. The only people who make a point of trashing the LBS are journalists and racers. Ordinary riders either don't notice the LBS or they actually like it. My 'Bird has the latest version of LBS and in 1500 miles, I haven't noticed anything with it.

#14 ·
So kismet_710... this whole reading thing giving you problems huh?

I hear that they even have a new trick air / fuel metering device which actually mixes appropriate amounts of both, depending upon a series of complex factors such as ambient temperature, engine load, throttle possition etc. etc. and then feeds ( injects ) it into the engine. Fuel Injection I believe they call it, truly amazing... what will Honda think of next? Now if somebody could just invent something that could keep me from running off into the gravel every track day I'd be in business.

-quikie

#15 ·
I have a 98 VFR 800 interceptor and i LOVE that bike:twofinger
Never had a problem with it. Not many people buy them yet i get asked alot by people when i'm stopped at a red light hey what motor does that bike have.... thats a cool looking bike... i've never seen one of those before thats nice etc etc

#16 · (Edited)
In defense of the '02 VFR

I've been doing a fair amount of research lately on the '02 VFR Interceptor as I was considering it for my next bike. Conclusions so far:

The VFR is a SPORT-tourer with accent on sport but quite capable of touring as opposed to a pure sport bike. Former VFR owners who bought the '02 LOVE them. If you look at a dyno graph, there is definitely a smooth step function in both torque (5 ft-lbs) and hp (10 hp) at 7000 rpm when the 3rd and 4th valves per cylinder of the VTEC V-4 engine open up. Really, this is a 4 valve per cylinder engine that runs on 2 valves per cylinder at rpms below 7000. This is probably mainly for emissions as emissions are only measured at lower rpms. The only folks who bad-mouth the brakes (standard linked and optional ABS) either have never ridden the bike or are racers capable of out-performing linked ABS ON THE TRACK. Everyday riders love the brakes especially in the rain.

The only 2 problems I've come across are SOME bikes occasionally die when pulling in the clutch while down-shifting (a potentially serious issue that has been reported to Honda but not yet resolved :eek: , I'm gonna wait on this one) and Honda is late in having hard luggage available (again the touring theme).

#18 ·
Why?

desmo079 said:
That is your opinion. I read somewhere just recently that that was not the case.
Wanna expound on that?
I also read an interview a few years back with one of Ducati's big cheeses, and the magazine asked if their new engine was going to have valve springs instead of a desmodromic valve system. I think his answer was pretty much along the lines of "desmodromic valves are part of what makes a Ducati".
Sorry, but I ain't (literally) buying it. Before you sell me on a technology, you're going to have to show me that it's either cheaper, simpler, less trouble, or provides real benefits: in other words, better! I fail to see where desmodromic valve systems fit any of those categories. In an earlier age (crappy metal/valve springs), one could justify the added complexity of a desmo valve system. I see no reason for it with the vast improvements in metallurgy/valve springs over the last 30 years or so.

BTW, a few other goodies that I find pretty damn useless on motorcycles (I just put them in my “they may not be better, but at least they add weight/cost/complexity” category):
1. Linked brakes (learn how to use your brakes, will ya?)
2. ABS (not until it works while you have the bike cranked over)
3. Traction control (didn’t they finally toss it on the ST?)
4. Desmodromic valve systems
5. V4 motors (maybe on a Gold Wing style bike)
6. Whatever the heck the motor layout in an ST Honda is!
7. VTEC valve systems (‘maybe’ on a car)

#19 ·
Re: In defense of the '02 VFR

RayO said:
Former VFR owners who bought the '02 LOVE them.
Must be getting feedback from a different crowd. I've seen some owners that acutally wish they had their old VFR's after trading 'em in on the new one. Heck, if the boyz at Motorcyclist couldn't bring themselves to fawn over a Honda ('specially Mitch 'Honda' Boehm)...well, Houston, we have a problem!

If you look at a dyno graph (yadda yadda yadda)
The complexity of VTEC for 5 ft-lbs and 10 hp at 7000 rpm? Sorry, but I just ain't gettin' the cost-complexity/benefit ratio.

The only folks who bad-mouth the brakes (standard linked and optional ABS) either have never ridden the bike or are racers capable of out-performing linked ABS ON THE TRACK. Everyday riders love the brakes especially in the rain.
Mebbe you ought to read the first letter to the editor in the June 2002 Sportrider Magazine. The reader defends linked/ABS brakes for most average riders. I'm just a wonderin' if you're an average rider, should you really be riding a sportbike?

Honda is late in having hard luggage available (again the touring theme).
I've come close to ending up on a VFR a couple of times in the past, since (older models) make great sport-tourers, but it just never worked out. Have a riding buddy with the Givi setup on his older VFR, and it's nice. Unfortunately, Honda seems to have missed the boat on the new VFR. More weight, really no more power, and tossed the gear driven cams for VTEC. I've heard a lot of Honda fans squalling 'bout it.

#20 · (Edited)
Re: Why?

basicblur said:

BTW, a few other goodies that I find pretty damn useless on motorcycles (I just put them in my “they may not be better, but at least they add weight/cost/complexity” category):
1. Linked brakes (learn how to use your brakes, will ya?)
2. ABS (not until it works while you have the bike cranked over)
3. Traction control (didn’t they finally toss it on the ST?)
4. Desmodromic valve systems
5. V4 motors (maybe on a Gold Wing style bike)
6. Whatever the heck the motor layout in an ST Honda is!
7. VTEC valve systems (‘maybe’ on a car)
1. Not a big fan of 'em, myself.
2. Was impressed by my couple of rides on a Bimmer that had 'em, but extra weight is bad on a sportbike.
3. Depends on how it works. Makes launching my car hard out of corners a real doddle.
4. Trust me: if they sucked so bad, Ducati would've '86ed 'em on their race bikes. Conversely, if they offered any free benefits, other companies'd use 'em.
5. What's bad about squeezing 4 cylinders into the width of a parallel twin? Of course, they're longer than an I-4 and heavier than a V-2, but they rev higher than a twin of the same displacement, while offering a better torque curve than an inline. Bear in mind that Honda's new MotoGP bike is a V-5.
6. That would be a V-4, just set longitudinally.
7. VTEC is great. All F-1 cars use some variant of it. BMW and Honda street cars use it to turn phenominal BHP numbers from small engines while still getting decent EPA MPG numbers and meeting emissions. It's like getting two, two, two camshaft profiles in one. One camshaft profile for torque and mileage, then hit a magic RPM # and the followers move to the other cam lobe and voila! a lumpy peak power cam! Why don't you see it on sportbikes? Weight and space. When you're trying to make an engine as small & light as possible in a tiny sportbike, stuffing extra bits under the valve covers doesn't help. Yeah, it'll help power, but it'll mess up weight distribution. Bikes have power, it's handling that that separates the winners from the losers on the track. I'll bet dollars to donuts, however, that the next generation of Blackbird/'Busa/ZX-12-type bikes (whose stock in trade is big HP numbers) will probably sport some variable valve-timing gear or another: it's a free lunch when you're not worrid about engine size or cost.

#21 ·
If you look at a dyno graph (yadda yadda yadda)
The complexity of VTEC for 5 ft-lbs and 10 hp at 7000 rpm? Sorry, but I just ain't gettin' the cost-complexity/benefit ratio.
Remember, VTEC is for the differnet cam profiles - great low rpm emissions and better high rpm power delivery. Actually, the VFR is probably a safe VTEC test bed for Honda.

The reader defends linked/ABS brakes for most average riders. I'm just a wonderin' if you're an average rider, should you really be riding a sportbike?
Question: have you ridden a bike with linked ABS brakes? (me either)

Comment: half the people in this world are below average, half the sportbike riders in this world are below average :D

#22 ·
ABS
Was impressed by my couple of rides on a Bimmer that had 'em, but extra weight is bad on a sportbike.
Many defenders of ABS tout how they’re good for ‘beginners’ or ‘average’ riders. Once again, I say if you’re an ‘average’ rider, mebbe you should take up another hobby (or at least ride something other than a sportbike)? If you’re a beginner, you need to learn early on how to use yur brakes! There’s always bad execution-BMW seems to be going backwards with their ABS: the lastest version has solenoid operated units on the bike, and if you lose power (while in motion)-yowza! Then there’s the false sense of security-to quote an editor in Sportrider: I once watched a rider crash trying to avoid a car in the rain, due to his attempt at turning while slamming on the brakes. He exclaimed incredulously as I helped him up, “I don’t understand it-my bike has anti-lock brakes.”

Traction Control
Depends on how it works. Makes launching my car hard out of corners a real doddle.
I was talking bikes, but now that you mention it, I probably wouldn’t want it on my car either? The old ST Honda had it, but I believe it got lost over the years? Apparently another Honda answer to a question nobody was asking?

V4 Engines
What's bad about squeezing 4 cylinders into the width of a parallel twin?
What’s so good about it? For every perceived benefit of a V4 layout, there are also tradeoffs (a couple of which you covered). The benefit I hear of most is you can make the bike narrower. Heck, most folks can’t fit behind the fairing on inline 4 bikes-the extra narrowness of a V4 sounds more like simply an arguing point rather than offering any true benefit. Kinda like all those artists’ renderings of future bikes with ridiculously low windscreens. Looks nice in the pix, but who can fit behind one of those things? Time to add a double bubble to clean it up aerodynamically!
while offering a better torque curve than an inline.
I’ve seen some graphs on V4 torque vs inlines. Not enough difference to justify the extra cost/complexity of a V4 to me.
Mebbe it's just me, but the few V4's I've ridden just seemed to me to have an 'agricultural' feel to 'em (the vibration reminded me of the big old grinder the dentist uses). I prefer the frenetic pace of an inline 4, but could see having fun on a twin.

Bear in mind that Honda's new MotoGP bike is a V-5.
Yup, and the new Yamaha GP bikes are inline 4’s? Last race I saw, the Yamahas were right there with the Hondas, and I’m sure they'll close the gap even more as the season progresses. Not that I really see where GP bikes have anything to do with street bikes in this instance.

ST Motor
That would be a V-4, just set longitudinally.
Why? When it came out, I remember seeing Honda yak ‘bout better torque with it’s layout, but if you compare, I believe it put out a whopping 1 ft. lb. more than a Concours. Actually, the Concours engine is more of a revver (based on the old ZX-10 motor)-I kinda like revs! Like many things Honda does, the ST engine seemed to be a case of we’re going to do it differently than everyone else just to show you we can, to differentiate our product from everyone else’s, and just because we’re Honda! I’m not impressed by any of those reasons, but I seem to be in the minority these days (everyone has succumbed to Marketing 101)

VTEC
Bikes have power, it's handling that that separates the winners from the losers on the track.
‘Zactly. ‘Course, I’ve seen some folks claim it appears instead of giving an extra oomph at 7000 rpm (5 ft/lb torque & 10 hp), they swear Honda took something off the bottom end of the new VFR (compared to the old). If you have to lose something on the bottom to make it appear you’re getting something extra at 7000 rpm, have you really accomplished anything?
it's a free lunch when you're not worrid about engine size or cost.
Now you ought to be ‘experienced’ enough to know there are no free lunches! :D

#23 ·
RayO said:
Actually, the VFR is probably a safe VTEC test bed for Honda.
Mebbe so, but they'll haff to excuse me if I don't want 'em 'testing' on my dime!

have you ridden a bike with linked ABS brakes?
Dunno...may have, but I didn't bother to give the brakes a workout. I haven't tried a lot of things in life that were just so inherently wrong, I didn't need to try 'em to know I wouldn't like it. Then there's the fact that I learned on braking systems that weren't linked, so why relearn on what appears to be an inferior/unnecessarily complex system?

half the people in this world are below average, half the sportbike riders in this world are below average
Well, half the folks in this world don't ride sportbikes. I would hope that those who do fit in the upper half of the average scale. If not, mebbe they should be riding something other than sportbikes?
'Course, your reasoning may be spot-on. Mebbe that's why we see so many crashers out there?

#26 ·
basicblur and Tamara, I think you guys both bring up great points. While I have to agree with Tamara, the technology in a VTEC motor can only be a benefit, and a V4 config I belive is going to become even more popular in the near future. Honda is already working on 1 for 2004, and it looks bad@ss!!!!!!!

I also agree with basicblur, if Honda wants to use the VFR as a test bed for the VTEC fine, but don't expect me to buy it while they fine tune it. I think all in all the VFR is a solid bike, but it really gained no BHP and it gained 60lbs over last years model. With all the R&D Honda has, that is unacceptable to me!!!

I was trying to decide between the 954RR and the VFR(cause i do about 160 miles a day!) and I went with the 954RR cause they actually imporoved it over last years model. Not that the 02 VFR isn't improved in some ways, but it also took a few steps backwards as well.

Just my 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.