Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i wanted to tell ya'll that i finally got my bike....a '98 honda CBR 600 F3..it has 14, 000 miles on it and slight scuffs but it sounds wonderful and runs like a dream....i test drove it around my block today also my first time ever on a sportbike and it was amazing.....handles well and ride well and feels great....i will definately post pics up as soon as i get my digi camera

thanks to all of you who have helped me in the past and answering my questions....thanks again

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Bitchin'

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Great! Now, show us bored folks some shots w/you in the pic.:cheers:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Now the the challenge to stay upright as it is with the rest of us. Wishing you the best. For it has been a long drag to get you on a bike.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks to all of ya'll for the support.......tonight i am brushing up for the endorsment test and going get it tomorow....i rode her around the parking lot today handles nicely. at 20 mph :D
thanks again..but before i go.....could ya'll give me some pointers on things i might need to do to my bike maintence wise? thanks

pics will be soon

·
Registered
53 Posts
If there aren't any gripes as of yet with cosmetics or performance, not too much.

Make sure you have good tires goin first, very important, almost caused me to spill once or twice when I rode old crappy tires for almost 1000 miles till I got my stands in to get new ones.

If your previous owner didn't say (or you don't trust them) when the oil was done, assume the worst and do it. Only costs me $8 + filter (every other time) + initial MC stand cost. Very few tools necesary, very little time too (under and hour for the first time, 30 minutes after that).

Brake pads are important as the tires, though require lest maintance and are cheaper. If you are iffy on them, don't ride it out, get new ones. One hour and less than $100 has you riding new top of the line pads up front.

Chain good? Clean/lube/tighten/loosen?

Buy a manual, maybe MC stands (rear at least), and any tools necesary first, makes things better, faster, easier, but more expensive (less than a mechanic by FAR !).

I find doing maintance fun, as well as time and money saving.

Though I was pretty much a noob, I failed my first 2 MC endorsement tests, and that was after 1000 or so miles, and ~ 6 hours doing manuverability type practices, mostly after I failed the first time. I still find it fun to do tight turning and quick stops, though it is unbeleivably crucial to have them down pat without thinking. Practice more and more, get the test done asap IMO. Saved me from getting a ticked once for sure so far.

later

Jon

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah no probs with the performance or looks.... :D

i checked the oil level on the dip stick and the oil looks brand new not even brown......the chain needs to be tightened though kinda loose....and i had pretty good thread left on the tires.....and the pads i need to check but the biek stops damn good. what odd though never being on a sportbike when the bike is in nuetral with the clutch engaged it kinda feels like the bike idles rough...but when you pull the clutch smooth as can be...i guess thats just how sportbikes feel..i will get a buddy of mine to check it....any tips on adjusting chain and checking pads?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The chain is kind of tricky. It seems the slack in it is relatively subjective, the manual wants 1-1.5 inches of give when pushing down or up on either side of the chain, but IMO that is too much. I just tightened mine today to about .75" slack.
To do this, you generally must loosen your rear axle with wrenches/sockets, and then manipulate your chain adjusting screws one way or the other, depending on how your bike is set up. Remember to align the rear axle with the aligning sights, and to tighten the axle and replace cotter pin.

The brake pads are easier to check IMO. Look into each caliper from the front of the bike, the pad must be more than 1mm to be considered good I beleive.

I'd get a manual for reference for this stuff, they spell everything out, have nice pictures and how-tos, and the specific stuff for your bike.

Later

Jon

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks buddy i have about a 1.5 of freeplay and i needed to ride it about 2 miles tomorow....the sprokets look fine....is that too much of a risk? i woont drive it hard at all

·
Registered
53 Posts
IMO no. I rode with about that much slack for more than 1k miles, seeing how I forgot about my chain tension for quite a long time and didn't adjust it.

Just get it done sooner than later. I do know that a properly adjusted chain makes doing wheelies quite a bit easier though.

Later

Jon

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pyrotek2k said:

Just get it done sooner than later. I do know that a properly adjusted chain makes doing wheelies quite a bit easier though.

Jon
hehe im not worried about doing them yet, lol
but thanks.....i needed to run it to the DMV brake tag inspec etc...before going to my buddy at the shop
thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts