Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello people!! :D

Its been a while since I've posted here, but yes... I'm still alive.

Anyhow.. as you can tell by the title I got a speeding ticket, and I have no clue what so ever on how to handle this thing... especially in court. Now, I'd really like to keep this off my permanent record. I've had some suggestion from my friends over here, but I'd love to here from you guys.

I got cited monday for aggrevated speeding and I have a court date Thursday. I plan on going to court tommorow to sit and observe the whole process because this whole civil court process is greek to me!

Any advice is welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
If you are guilty (you already know the answer to that) then you should man up and accept the consequences. Keep in mind, Judges have heard every excuse at least 100 times, so don't think they'll take a liking to you for any reason.

That being said, you may be able to cut a deal. If you haven't done an MSF course, you may see if they'll let the ticket slide in return for you taking the MSF. I know in AZ you can take a defensive driving course to avoid the points and fine of a ticket once every 2 years. See if they're open to negotiation. Or get a lawyer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cutting a deal is what I'm going for, but how do I go about that?

I dont mind paying any fine or fees, I just want to keep my record clean.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
That's actually a good question. I know a friend talked to a court clerk to have his date moved to gather evidence and bargained with her, ultimately paying a fine and having nothing on his record. The point is, perhaps talking with the clerk would be a possibility.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Let's have more details. If you got a ticket Monday and have to appear in court on Thurs., you did something bad, didn't you? Is it an arraignment? Call the court clerk and find out what the fine is if you just plead no contest. You probably want to call a lawyer and discuss it. The points/fines/ins. premiums you save may be more than enough to offset the cost of the lawyer.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
The clerk or prosecutor is who you need to talk to. If they can't get it done, they can at least direct you to who can.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
First call the court clerk and see what options are available to you. Explain that you goofed and made an error in judgement and would like to keep it off your permanent record. If its your first offense, it could be dismissed outright (but probably not with aggravated speeding), or they may make you take a class, of give you probation period during which you cant get caught speeding. If they aren't being helpful, stall. Apply for an extension, then another and another, and get a lawyer. The lawyer will stall for as long as he can too. The more time has passed since the offense, the weaker the case against you, since the officers word is not going to be worth as much a year down the line. And the prosecutor will want to clear the matter up instead of having it hand forever.

But whats all this about having to appear in court the same week?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Methinks somebody messed up big time.
That definitely sounds like the case. I think he's omitting some information haha.

r3y, I dont know about Alabama but in Mississippi if it's your first traffic offense you can take that defensive driving class that someone mentioned earlier. It's a pain in the ass but if you take it, you don't owe a fine and it's like it never happened.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
But whats all this about having to appear in court the same week?
Doesn't the US Constitution guarantee you a speedy trial? Perhaps AL has just found a way to do that in what a normal person would consider "speedy" :dunno::laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
In your county is aggravated speeding the ticket for 25+ over? Or is it a separate type of violation?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:squid::squid::squid:

lol

I was just cited for going 30mph excess the speed limit. I have frequently ridden those back roads without any incidents. Unfortunately this time, when I was coming down this hill I got blue lighted. The cop pulled me over, told me what I was being pulled over for, wrote the ticket, and rode off. I didnt even have time to give an excuse.

Let me just say though, that even though I was riding in excess of the speed limit, I was not being reckless or unsafe (if that's not contradictory). The road was clear, well pave, 100% visibility, no traffic, no hidden roads or intersections, I had plenty of reaction time if anything was to happen, and I was just relaxed and cruising that downhill portion.

And oh... sorry for the misunderstanding... Thursday is my arraignment. I'm still debating what to plea. I sat down in court this morning to observe how the process go. The judge seems to be pretty fair and somewhat lenient. I'm gonna try to talk to the clerk tommorow and see what good I can get. For now, I'm leaning towards no contest, hoping the judge would just put me on probation since its a first offense.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Standard operating procedure for the courts in my area (Colorado) is that pretty much everyone who decides to appear in court for their traffic ticket get's a plea deal from the prosecutor right up front. Plead guilty and pay the fine and your ticket goes from being a speeding ticket to "improper equipment" or some other such non-moving violation.

I've even gotten a speeding ticket in the car for 92mph in a 75. State cop said "If you mail this ticket in with your check within 7 days, it gets written down to an "improper equipment" violation. Well, that sounded like a good deal, so I mailed it in right away. He was right.

Bizarre I know, but that's the way it works around here. Maybe they'll have a similar bargaining system where you live.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Good news people! My ticket was dismissed!:loser:

Apparently the cops handwritting was illegible, so some information written on the ticket was questionable. I didnt ask for specifics, as soon as the judge said dismissed, I said thank you your honor and I left.

Dodged a bullet right there! had to pay for some court fee but no fines or anything on my record... woo hoo!!!

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Out of curiosity, did the policeman show up?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the cop wasnt required to come to the arraignment.

and yeah.... I dont plan on making a second appearance.I'm pretty tamed when I'm in city/urban streets so thats no problem. I just need to be careful on the back roads around here and not get caught.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I just need to be careful on the back roads around here and not get caught.
Since I commute on country roads, I struggle with that as well. The speed isn't a rush for me on the street as much as it is a desire to minimize my time commuting. The bike at least makes it an enjoyable time on the pavement.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts