Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for good used bike for a long time now. And one sorta just fell into my hands. My friend's neighbor is selling his 2003 ninja 250. He wants $1200-1300 for it. I went and sat on it today and it feels good, and its in great condition. 6000 miles. He needs to replace the battery because he had it in storage for a while and it ran down. When he gets that replaced and changes the oil hes gonna let me ride. Seems like a good deal to me.

Thoughts, suggestions, or comments welcome. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
sounds like a good deal and a good beginner bike .
take the msf course and get good gear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JBaz said:
and your sure its a 2003? price is too good! get it before he realizes it!
yea its a 2003 and in great shape. He got a good deal on it when he bought it too. Hes trying to get rid of it and another one of his bikes, so he can get a new one, so assume thats why its going so cheap.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Jump on it before he comes to his senses. Get some gear too! Thats a great price even if it needs some work!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Steal

Yeah, I agree. Definitely a REALLY good deal. Hell, at that price, you could ride it around for a year or two and still sell it for more than you bought for when you're ready to upgrade.

You seriously have nothing at all to lose with that kinda deal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a rough estimate I went to KBB and they said around $2200. But yea, I figured I could ride it for a year or so, get my experience and then sell it for what I paid for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been considering a ZZ-R250 as my first bike also, but when I've told that to some of my close friends that ride they just shake their head. They're telling me that I'll be bored of it within 2 weeks. One of them said he'd start looking for a good bike for me, and that I should at least start with a ninja 500 or the Suzu GS 500F.

What are the thoughts of the board here? I've read that the 250cc is the best type of starter, is the 500 acceptable or possibly too much, too soon?

I have another friend that wants to sell me his 03' YZF-R6. I asked him if he thought I was crazy, or wanted me dead and he just laughed.

Friends... :twofinger

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
BigE_1985 said:
I've been considering a ZZ-R250 as my first bike also, but when I've told that to some of my close friends that ride they just shake their head. They're telling me that I'll be bored of it within 2 weeks. One of them said he'd start looking for a good bike for me, and that I should at least start with a ninja 500 or the Suzu GS 500F.

What are the thoughts of the board here? I've read that the 250cc is the best type of starter, is the 500 acceptable or possibly too much, too soon?...
There's no need to start as low as the ZZR-250, but there's no reason NOT to either. Sure, it's no race machine, but you won't outgrow it quickly. You'll only THINK you have.

I started on one, then moved up to the 600. Due to finances, I had to let the 600 go and have gone back to sharing the 250 with Mrs Tree. I ride it to work every day, a round trip of about 90 miles. It keeps up with highway traffic and I've topped it out at an indicated 110mph.

What I mean by thinking you've outgrown it is, a small machine like that makes it very easy to get the basics down. No ultra heavy bike to worry about. No tyre-snapping power to give you too many highside dramas.

The benefit of starting on a smaller machine, aside from purchase / service / crash repair costs is the ability to hone your skills before making the step up. I can drag the pegs on mine, but I'm still not on the edge of the tyre yet!

Don't let your friends tease you into starting on a bike that you aren't comfortable with. If you can find a ZZR at a good price, and ride it for a year, you'll probably get most of your money back when you upsize. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Cookie sumed it up pretty well. Thats a great deal on the bike. I started with a 750 and I have times that I wish I had something smaller so I could flick it around corners without so much worry. Buy it, ride it, love it. How often are you going to want to break 110MPH anyways?

Good luck, and have fun,
Sepias

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey all, so the seller has finally got the few things done on the bike, and when i get back in town i'm going to go have a serious look at it.

Any tips or suggestions? Or any place I should look on what to look for? Like I said the bike visually looks very good and well maintained, but I dont want any surprises after i buy it. Other then grilling the seller is there anything I should do?

thanks, help is so much appreciated.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I can see where your buddies are coming from. I see 250's now and I laugh, thinking the same things they are thinking. I started out on the '84 500 and rode that thing for over 2 years and loved every minute of it. It's hard to think back to your starter bike and skill level at the time. So grab that 250 and tear it up. Your skin and bones are worth more than your buddies laughs.

-M-

·
Registered
604 Posts
Good choice!

Dude....I still to this day say that I owe my life to starting out on my lil'250! It allowed me to make mistakes that would've cost me more on a bigger bike....plus it allowed me to "feel out" fundemental riding! I may have looked like an elephant riding a grasshopper but I wouldn't change a thing! I bought mine back in 90......it was a used 89 and I traded a 90 Yamaha XT225 even for it! Enjoy, safe riding and have fun!:thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is a sweet deal you got. I paid 2400 for mine. Make sure you get the gear. I am definitely not regretting starting out on the 250. It is fun to drive and it is VERY FORGIVING. You should check out ninja250.com There is a whole slew of Ninjette followers. I wish I came across your deal a few months back. Gear UP to go DOWN.

·
Registered
8 Posts
YEA MAN GO FOR IT , I HAVE A 2005 NINJA 250, AND ITS MY FIRST BIKE AND I LOVE IT . ITS A REALLY GOOD FIRST TIMER .. TRUST ME

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the posts guys. Yea, he finally took it to the shop to get the few maintance things done on it. I'm just waiting for it to get back to his place.:)

Hopefully soon i'll have some pictures to show of my new bike.

phoang, thanks for the headsup on the ninja250 forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts