Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 27 years of motorcycle riding and racing I still can't figure out what the f*ck these newbies are talking about when they express their concern about growing out of a new sportbike. Ok, I understand the basic premise (i.e. will they grow tired/bored of it), but the idea of growing (as a rider) out of any motorcycle is a bit ridiculous. Especially when you consider that any modern sportbike is exponentially more capable than the VAST majority of riders who flog them. The notion that you will learn this fine art of riding so quickly that your expert-level sportbike will no longer satisfy you is ridiculous and I guess I've reached a point (in my young age) that my patience has run out for this ridiculous notion.

I look at the stables/collections of the experienced riders I respect and I look at my own collection and I see bikes ranging from 125cc up to 1000+cc. In fact, one of the bikes I own that gives me (perhaps) the biggest grin is my '66 Suzuki T20, which is a 250cc 2-stroke, hardly a monster, but amazingly cool and agile. So why is it that with all these bikes at my disposal and over 25 years in motorcycling I haven't grown out of my little 250? :dunno:

My shopmates race 125 GPs and wouldn't trade their bikes for the world. And with all their combined racing/riding experience, why haven't they grown out of their little 125s? :huh:

So to all the newbies I say, "GET OVER YOURSELF!" If you're really a rider you'll enjoy anything with 2 wheels that you can throw a leg over. And if you remain a student of the sport you'll appreciate the experience any bike can provide. :thumbs2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well said.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
But with a 250cc bike, how will newbs ride like squids on the highway?? :huh: :laughing:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
maybe we should start a poll.. "How long did it take you to learn to ride your bike to the limit" with the choices of
3 days
2 weeks
year
still learning

·
Registered
609 Posts
They say that out of ignorance. What I mean by that is they don't realize how much fun a smaller bike can be, because they haven't really experienced motorcycling yet.

My first bike was a Ninja 250, and I really miss riding it. If I had money just to throw away, I'd buy another as a second bike. I'd love to "go back" and see how much better I could corner it now, and that bike is so light and flickable...they're a blast. But at the time, I couldn't wait to get something bigger and better.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Vash said:
maybe we should start a poll.. "How long did it take you to learn to ride your bike to the limit" with the choices of
3 days
2 weeks
year
still learning
Pffft...never, so "still learning."

I'm on my third bike, and just starting to get the itch to do my first trackday. Unfortunately because I'm in New England that's not until next spring/summer.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
3 days
2 weeks
year
still learning
Awww, c'mon.... 3 days???!!!

Sh*t, mate, it only took me 3 HOURS!!!! ;)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Do not look upon me as a possible moderator for I am 75+ yrs of age with 59 yrs of riding & I am STILL learning. About the only bikes I found out I could ride beyond their possible limit was 125cc two-strokes & 350cc OHV singles of the late 40s & early 50s.

·
Registered
526 Posts
1ST RIDE

Man I turned squidly on my first ride at three years old! went right thru the neighbors fence. Damned if I could remember where that brake was on that little mini bike

·
Registered
135 Posts
slaps76 said:
My first bike was a Ninja 250, and I really miss riding it. If I had money just to throw away, I'd buy another as a second bike. I'd love to "go back" and see how much better I could corner it now, and that bike is so light and flickable...they're a blast. But at the time, I couldn't wait to get something bigger and better.
I am currently riding a Ninja 250 and the only thing stopping me pushing it any further is the fact that rear is to soft, at my weight even when hanging of, the pegs and pipe still scrape, but with a firmer shock in the back I'm sure I wouldn't be able reach it's limit in a hurry.
The bike teaches me something new every day.:thumb:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Vash said:
3 days
2 weeks
year
still learning
You forgot the "I was a natural the minute I threw my leg over" option, for me of course :D .

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Believe me they would be out of your pocket Dan, that is to say if I had saved even one bike. Like I had some doozers like a '47 350cc Douglas fat opposed twin, a '47 Scott Squirrel 600 being a parallel leaned forward liquid cooled twin two-stroke with thee speeds, Matchless 500cc Scrambler, '26 Scott Squirrel 500cc with two speeds, '52 350 Royal Enfield alloy Trials iron, '36 Indian four in line, five Vincent HRD though one was a Grey Ghost 500cc & rest were 1000cc V-twins, maze of other singles though quite a number of Triumphs & I liked Triumph to put those into road racing form or for street use & so cafe racers. So many more that I cannot recall. Not to mention the HD & Indian flat trackers & one dirt hill climber. If course you would not be interested in the '80 Yamaha RD-350LC or the '82 & '84 RZ-350 or the '89 Yamaha TZR-250 as they were so modern.

I did hang onto a '47 LE Velocette (I located in '53 & rebuilt to like new--I remember selling that very bike back in '47) flat opposed LC 175cc with three speeds, hand-shift, hand start, & bike in a chassie rather then a normal m/c frame. Came into hard times on the orchard & sold it for just $75.00 though in its condition & should have contacted the correct people & sold if for around $550.00 but I was also pressed for time as well as the money. Ah the problems of farmers.

Actually hung onto my 350cc AJS Trials till a friend over in the UK found out about it & came over here to purchase it from me in '57 & rebuilt it to simply amazing form along with the latest factory exhaust system that when you turned up the wick you heard it for an ex-factory AJS Trials rider was able to feed him info on the last of the Trials irons exhaust system. Prior to him passing away he was competiting with it in the pre-65 Trials events.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Smitty said:
Believe me they would be out of your pocket Dan, that is to say if I had saved even one bike. Like I had some doozers like a '47 350cc Douglas fat opposed twin, a '47 Scott Squirrel 600 being a parallel leaned forward liquid cooled twin two-stroke with thee speeds, Matchless 500cc Scrambler, '26 Scott Squirrel 500cc with two speeds, '52 350 Royal Enfield alloy Trials iron, '36 Indian four in line, five Vincent HRD though one was a Grey Ghost 500cc & rest were 1000cc V-twins, maze of other singles though quite a number of Triumphs & I liked Triumph to put those into road racing form or for street use & so cafe racers. So many more that I cannot recall. Not to mention the HD & Indian flat trackers & one dirt hill climber. If course you would not be interested in the '80 Yamaha RD-350LC or the '82 & '84 RZ-350 or the '89 Yamaha TZR-250 as they were so modern.

I did hang onto a '47 LE Velocette (I located in '53 & rebuilt to like new) flat opposed LC 175cc with three speeds, hand-shift, hand start, & bike in a chassie rather then a normal m/c frame. Came into hard times on the orchard & sold it for just $75.00 though in its condition & should have contacted the correct people & sold if for around $550.00 but I was also pressed for time as well as the money. Ah the problems of farmers.

Actually hung onto my 350cc AJS Trials till a friend over in the UK found out about it & came over here to purchase it from me in '57 & rebuilt it to simply amazing form along with the latest factory exhaust system that when you turned up the wick you heard it for an ex-factory AJS Trials rider was able to feed him info on the last of the Trials irons exhaust system. Prior to him passing away he was competiting with it in the pre-65 Trials events.
Smitty, if you're ever in NY you need to come by for a tour of our collection. Just to give you a taste, we've got about 10 Matchless G-50s, several AJS 7Rs, a Manx Norton, a 1931 Matchless Silverhawk (one of our only street bikes), a Benelli 350/4 and 500/4, almost the entire MV Agusta works team collection of the '50s through early '70s. In fact, Giacomo Agostini's original 500 triple sits just behind me. We also have Jim Redman's Honda RC165 6 cylinder, the only Honda Six in private hands. Cal Rayborn's Harley XR750TT roadracer, and several others. Each bike is historically documented and original as its champion campaigned it. If it wasn't for the "work" aspect of this job it would be like heaven coming here everyday. ;)

edit: I forgot to mention that we also own one of the only surviving AJS E95 porcupines in the world.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Sweet, know anything about the norton wankle bikes? the last one (early 90's) showed some real potential from the stats, so I'm curious what doomed it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I was at an auction here in the Springs and this BRAND NEW (250 miles) 1974 Ducati 750GT went for $20,000! I had about $10 in my pocket. At least I got to touch it.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You have me drooling Dan. I remember when they sent me a Matchless G-45 as that was the 500cc Matchless twin engine in the 7R frame. In practicing I noted a black flag brought up & thought "what the 'ell" then I was one my ear going along the RCAF training airport strip tearing away my leathers, putting a hold in my trusty Cromwell helmet & a hole in my racing boots, till both of us hit the rhubarb. End of that poor bike. The flag man accidently meant it to be a yellow flag as that is all we used for warning/oil.

Over came the 7R AJS & those over in the UK, including myself realized I was doing laps a bit beyond the Manx Norton featherbed. So word was to send it on to a chap in the States. Obviously the powerful(?) long stroke double knocker Manx Norton & I were not as matched as a smaller bike & its power.

Obviously my comment about my ex-bikes being out of your pocket was way out of line. Just goes to show when you REALLY do not know a person other then another regular of a board.

Have a hunch the Vincent HRD Grey Ghost would have interested you for it was sent over by accident instead of a regular 500 & in a call to Phil Vincent he said see if I can sell or might like it mysel & gave me a darn good price over what I had sent for the other 500 plus the 500 our customer wanted.

Still you have one of the rare AJS Porcupines what an interesting bike & wonder what it might have done if the FIM had not banned super chargers in '46/47.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts