Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lunchtime I took my bike out to Patterson rd just to go for an easy ride through the curves.I did'nt have my jacket or gloves on and was taking it easy .Then I started taking them fasterand was approaching the last curve before the straitaway (about 70mph.)when some lovebugs got into my helmet.I took my eyes off the road and looked at them inside my visor. when I looked back up I was too late to turn in,plus a car was in the other lane cominng toward me.I hit the brakes skidded off the road.just missing a telephone pole and went through a barb wire fence.then my bike flipped .After realising my legs were ok I picked her up and she fired right up.I gave it a lookover and took it a gas station.Then I rode it home.After x-rays.. my left foot is severely sprained but not broken!Ireally think Iwas so close to the pole that(as I went by it) my left foot got wedged between the pole and the heel protecter on the rearsets.It was bent into thechainguard touching the chain.I had on steeltoe work boots.I can't wait to get back on and go for a ride, but cause it was my fault,If these mental lapses continue. I might be better off not riding anymore.

·
Registered
866 Posts
um, don't crack your visor again, did your helmet have vents on it, if not get one like that., or carry bug spray with you and give a squirt or two evry now and again

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Tough one, lucky you, stupid you ---

---so get the bike corrected to perfection, do not ride for a day, soak in all that happened AND then get back to riding with the above ERRORS in mind.
I have had hornets get through the top part of my jacket & sting the 'ell out of me (14 welts to my torso from their stings), but I still managed to pull off the road & strip down right to the waist.
STUPIDLY during a hornet season I had the bottom slit of the visor open in town (so speeds at or below the speed limit) & one came in by accident & was partially stunned SO once again I pulled off the road & carefully removed my glasses & finally the helmet.
One of your wrong doings was NOT pulling off to the side of the road. Consider yourself still alive or not paralized for life.

·
Registered
624 Posts
SilentNEKO said:
um, don't crack your visor again, did your helmet have vents on it, if not get one like that., or carry bug spray with you and give a squirt or two evry now and again
Huh? WTF is bug spray gonna do when he's at 70 mph?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad you're basically OK. Dont give up on riding. ALWAYS wear your gear; you can get hurt on an "easy" ride just as quick as on a fast ride.

The easiest lessons to remember are the ones that hurt.

Ken

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
lets see.. tank dented,front fender ,windscreen, headlites , left and right faring with deep scratches(barb wire)exhaust can bent. other than that it is in mint cond. Who cares about the bike . Im just happy to be alive and almost in mint cond. myself!

·
Registered
866 Posts
well if you close your visor and toss a bug bomb in there I'm sure it will kill the bugs, plus maybe make you blind, but sacrafices must be made damded it!!:finger:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
already talked to claims adjuster.the wreck happened thursday at noon.I'm really sore today. I can walk on my feet now.left foot is still swollen up. keeping it on ice.Taking it to dealer in a few days when able to ride . to Billy:right after it happened I could'nt believe it .and the one day I go without gloves and riding jacket.never again!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry to hear about the mishap. Those lovebugs really suck. The swarms get so thick it feels like it's raining. I ride with my visor cracked open sometimes as well. Somehow that dosen't sound like a good idea anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
That sucks blackkaw, I feel like an asshole for kidding about "We have a blackkaw down, we have a blackkaw down". I had just finished watching Black Hawk Down. (Great movie).

Get back on the old horse. Hine sight is 20/20 and learning or relearning a good lesson is priceless.

Sorry to hear about it though, and I'm just glad that you are OK.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey Chris y2kr1-I thought about your post and laughed! I wrecked a week after your post..you're off the hook!Anyway the lovebugs were a distraction only. It was me and my mental lapse (looking at 2 or 3 lovebugs inside of helmet and adjusting visor)when I had a corner coming right up. very stupid on my part. cant blame it on the insects.but will keep visor down..cept at stoplights. I'm going back to work Tue. so things will be a little more back to normal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts